• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PSA shut down until July. Will CGC follow?
3 3

366 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Oh, so you think they are untouchable even when they break laws? 🤣 Give me a break. I don't plan on sueing them but I am saying that everything happening is rather sickening and I'd hate for someone to use this in court. Because the Pandemic excuse or increased production can only be used for so long. When you are completely aware of it yet you have had months to fix it / have not.

You are making up your own laws because you're upset. All of their time frames are "estimated" time frames. A company is thriving and cannot keep up with their inventory. They have hired more people and will hopefully continue to provide jobs for the American people. If this company was a scam, thousands of us would not be in the same boat. Quit moaning because you lack patience. I do not know any educated collectors who are not aware of the madness that goes with grading cards right now, no matter what company it is.

Edited by apcoleman

51 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Okay, I'm gonna leave it at that Mr. Troll. 

49 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Since you're uninformed:

a troll is a person who starts flame wars or intentionally upsets people on the Internet

(shrug)

Edited by Buzzetta

What is CGC's recourse, though? No matter what they do, certain people will complain. Stop accepting submissions, receiving an avalanche down the road? *wahhh* Raise prices? *wahhh*

Starting a new business venture is tough, and CGC appears to be adapting as they go along. The fact that the old boys (PSA) have just put up a wall shows that CGC unintentionally picked the steepest hill to climb.

Edited by Angel of Death

True story

I just sent a 25 book submission yesterday. My post office says it's still in the office 

It's stuff for my collection, but if they all don't come back 9.8 and the prices of the books I selected don't skyrocket in the next 24 hours, its the post offices fault and CGC.

It has nothing to do with the fact fact I sent in a bunch of VF Ticks and (insert litter tray moderns)

I demand they be graded before they arrive!

Don't they know I'm out .35 here? Argh!

6 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

This is a pragmatic approach and one that definitely has merit.  We see this many times on the comic book side of things how turnaround times have been impacted.  While CGC is behind on turnaround times as the leading grading company for comic books they have maintained a decent handle on things.  You would think that when CBCS came into existence that it would severely cut into the customer base which would naturally reduce TAT's due to a decreased number of submissions.  Instead CGC seems to be grading more than they did eight years ago given the evidence of the expansion of their facilities. 

While only time will tell, CGC is hopefully using the lessons it has learned with comics and will be soon applying those practices to cards. 

I feel like a lot of that would have to do with the respect the other grading company warrants. I'm not a comic collector, mostly vintage baseball and pokemon. My understanding is that CBCS is considered sub-par to CGC so I could see why they didn't steal a large section from them. 

It almost seems as though CGC was caught unaware by the surge. When you have a market so hot that even illiegitimate services are getting backlogged it's probably not much of a gamble to throw money at it. With the current market their service doesn't have to be better, just comparable as it's very limited on where to get it done, and other services were already slammed at the time, with it getting worse by the day. The TAT was the biggest advantage they had going, so I would've thought production speed would have been prioritized over all. Not sacrificing quality, but that the money would be allocated to continue to hold that advantage as long as possible. Knowing there are a finite number of graders and resources and money can't fix everything, I'm surprised they didn't structure things off the get go to maintain TAT.Whatever protected TAT as that was their biggest selling point over everyone else.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm surprised they didn't start expanding late last year instead of a few months into this one.

55 minutes ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

Yep, that classifies as you. What is your reason for commenting on my posts/responses? Don't you have something better to do?

been following the thread, first and foremost, if you're not a lawyer, or have any idea on how the law works, please just stop.

CGC only needs to honor the prices prior to the change, turnaround time have been affected due to the amount of submission, if you're feeling impatient about the situation or impatient for someone else then don't send in product to get graded. 
These are weird times due to COVID - everything in the world has been impacted - I ordered a new Sofas for my living room back in November and I didn't get them till February, and it was pushed back twice. But please, if you're not a lawyer by any means just don't talk about it at all you look pathetic.

I think the issue boils down to the bulk and econ submissions that were already paid for before the payment method / price changes being set aside for the higher tiers that are coming in well after those were received... cgc needs to prioritize those customer to build some trust back whether it be by dedicating specific days of the week to those submissions or limiting submissions to clear the backlog  

2 minutes ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

I feel like a lot of that would have to do with the respect the other grading company warrants. I'm not a comic collector, mostly vintage baseball and pokemon. My understanding is that CBCS is considered sub-par to CGC so I could see why they didn't steal a large section from them. 

It almost seems as though CGC was caught unaware by the surge. When you have a market so hot that even illiegitimate services are getting backlogged it's probably not much of a gamble to throw money at it. With the current market their service doesn't have to be better, just comparable as it's very limited on where to get it done, and other services were already slammed at the time, with it getting worse by the day. The TAT was the biggest advantage they had going, so I would've thought production speed would have been prioritized over all. Not sacrificing quality, but that the money would be allocated to continue to hold that advantage as long as possible. Knowing there are a finite number of graders and resources and money can't fix everything, I'm surprised they didn't structure things off the get go to maintain TAT.Whatever protected TAT as that was their biggest selling point over everyone else.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I'm surprised they didn't start expanding late last year instead of a few months into this one.

Agreed.

When CBCS came into existence though there were a sizable number of books submitted through them to not only test them as a company but also in support of what they felt grading should be due to the the man leading the charge, Steve Borock.  In time though CBCS had some hiccups and has firmly placed itself in second place.  Some would argue that but whatevs.  The point is that every book submitted to CBCS is a book not submitted to CGC.

I agree with you about the surge in card submittals.  I had mentioned in another thread that I was shocked at the value of the Jordan rookie card.  It never occurred to me to really investigate what the other cards were worth from subsequent years.  Last night I discovered what my 87' Fleer Jordan in a PSA 8 is worth.  I mean I bought that for around $50 at one point.  There seems to be a lot of money trading hands with cards that no one knew would be trading for as much money as they are.  I figured the 87 card would be worth around a couple of hundred. Apparently that's a $1,000 card.   No wonder there is a flood.  I am thinking of sending cards in myself as I have a mess of Jeter cards that are trading for a decent chunk of change at PSA 8's and 9's.

And every card that I send in slows the process even further. 

2 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Waiting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

I mean when it comes to the troll comment you know where I stand on that.  

With that said, I have something I may have to PM you about later if you do not mind. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I mean when it comes to the troll comment you know where I stand on that.  

With that said, I have something I may have to PM you about later if you do not mind. 

Yeah, sure.

Edit: If you PM me that Zack Snyder's Justice League sucks, then I'm gonna have to hit you over the head with stale Subway bread.

Edited by Angel of Death

8 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Yeah, sure.

Edit: If you PM me that Zack Snyder's Justice League sucks, then I'm gonna have to hit you over the head with stale Subway bread.

I said I very much liked Zack Snyder's Justice League - read my review.  I said it was an incredible film.  I stand by what I said that the Whedon version was a chore to get through and its legacy is made worse by the release of the Snyder cut. 

14 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

Agreed.

When CBCS came into existence though there were a sizable number of books submitted through them to not only test them as a company but also in support of what they felt grading should be due to the the man leading the charge, Steve Borock.  In time though CBCS had some hiccups and has firmly placed itself in second place.  Some would argue that but whatevs.  The point is that every book submitted to CBCS is a book not submitted to CGC.

I agree with you about the surge in card submittals.  I had mentioned in another thread that I was shocked at the value of the Jordan rookie card.  It never occurred to me to really investigate what the other cards were worth from subsequent years.  Last night I discovered what my 87' Fleer Jordan in a PSA 8 is worth.  I mean I bought that for around $50 at one point.  There seems to be a lot of money trading hands with cards that no one knew would be trading for as much money as they are.  I figured the 87 card would be worth around a couple of hundred. Apparently that's a $1,000 card.   No wonder there is a flood.  I am thinking of sending cards in myself as I have a mess of Jeter cards that are trading for a decent chunk of change at PSA 8's and 9's.

And every card that I send in slows the process even further. 

I sold my 62s Mantle/Aaron/Koufax/Musial and many others in a lot raw. I hate the wood border. Not something I enjoyed looking at. Not everything has to be graded, but people sending in some real dog mess to be slabbed. Like $2 raw cards. These turned out well from CSG considering most cards from these years wouldn't grade above a 7 tops since production was less sophisticated back then. Them not having a larger holder for this Mantle that's like a mm wide kinda chapped my though.IMG_20210331_101438.thumb.jpg.955048f33a5b2de168ad5bf6ba31d99f.jpgIMG_20210331_101535.thumb.jpg.11c105702cb06e58a79fc4e70550f06e.jpgIMG_20210331_101540.thumb.jpg.4cb918981f18bfe5a839a334771b7729.jpg

22 minutes ago, JonCGC said:

been following the thread, first and foremost, if you're not a lawyer, or have any idea on how the law works, please just stop.

CGC only needs to honor the prices prior to the change, turnaround time have been affected due to the amount of submission, if you're feeling impatient about the situation or impatient for someone else then don't send in product to get graded. 
These are weird times due to COVID - everything in the world has been impacted - I ordered a new Sofas for my living room back in November and I didn't get them till February, and it was pushed back twice. But please, if you're not a lawyer by any means just don't talk about it at all you look pathetic.

hey buddy im a lawyer who graduated 1st out of 4 other people from the university of phoenix online linix campus and i must say that shining collectables has a HUGE case! the crime being commited is treason in the 4th degree along with emotional distress and force of will pitching brainstorm.

My trial experience includes a baby with one leg who had her milk stolen from her dog, a dog who was not given treats for 4 hours from his neglectful owner and a guy who bought sword & shield but didnt get all the pokemon in it. Shining NEEDS to contact me ASAP and wire transfer me $10k so i can get the JUSTICE HE DESERVES!!!

10 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I said I very much liked Zack Snyder's Justice League - read my review.  I said it was an incredible film.  I stand by what I said that the Whedon version was a chore to get through and its legacy is made worse by the release of the Snyder cut. 

South Park Nice GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

11 hours ago, ShiningCollectibles said:

I mean once again I must post this, I was lied too by staff members on the phone. I was told specific dates my cards would move twice and they never did. One of the major reasons why I am so frustrated. 

They probably just told you what you wanted to hear to get you off the phone. You calling and bugging them does not expedite the grading process in any manner.