• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Netflix's GUNDAM live movie directed by Jordan Vogt-Roberts (TBD)

3 posts in this topic

Legendary Entertainment and Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts are teaming up to work on a live-action Gundam movie that will stream exclusively on Netflix.

Details about the project, operating under the working title GUNDAM, are limited at this time. Brian K. Vaughan (Y: The Last Man, Runaways) is writing the screenplay and will also act as an executive producer. The movie will stream on Netflix globally except in China where Legendary will distribute the film. There is no set release date for the film yet. He’s joined by Cale Boyter who will oversee the project on behalf of Legendary and original Gundam studio, Sunrise. Jason Young, director of the original film at Netflix, will also oversee the project.

In terms of the movie’s actual plot, Netflix is staying mum. It’s unclear if Vogt-Roberts’ film will take place in the Universal Century (the same timeline the original Gundam anime is set in). If Vogt-Roberts and Legendary take their influence directly from the show, fans should expect gigantic battles as the armies of the space colonies wage a war of independence against those still on Earth. More details about the film’s plot are expected to be released in the coming months.

The first Gundam series — Mobile Suit Gundam — was created by Yoshiyuki Tomino and debuted in 1979. Since then, Sunrise and partners have released numerous spinoffs (including this writer’s personal favorite, Gundam SEED ). Gundam models and figurines remain some of Bandai’s most popular, and a life-sized Unicorn Gundam currently stands tall in Tokyo.

It was announced earlier this year that Kong: Skull Island director Jordan Vogt-Roberts had teamed with Legendary Entertainment to develop a live-action Gundam movie for Netflix. The adaptation of the iconic anime series is moving forward and Legendary took to Twitter to share the first look at a badass piece of concept art from the project.

FDyc4i8VEAgBv23.thumb.jpeg.05b1f42db7d94e8e1a99a1da8134e358.jpeg

I know people want to see RX-78 variants (I assume) but I'd just love to see a trilogy of Gundam 00 films. That'd thrill me more than any other series.