• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collector/Investor seeking advice from the Vets

120 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2021 at 4:04 PM, Comic Pingu said:

I'm 20yrs old and have been reading and collecting modern series since I was a kid. After listening to my friends endlessly talk stock and crypto currencies, I've decided I'd enter a side profit/flipping realm that I'd really enjoy and have an affinity for. So, I've recently begun collecting some relatively smaller keys (Avengers 8 & 57). I see a lot of big keys are blowing up right now and their FMV's are incredibly exceeding last year alone. So, my main question is, do I buy into an inflated MCU Spec market, or wait for a dip (that may never occur). I have comic knowledge but not so much market history knowledge or the volatility of it.

Disclaimer: No I do not expect to pay my way through life on the backs of books... Just for the fun of collecting the books then eventually selling for some profit. 

Thanks

My best advise for this is not to buy into the hype books one of them being is hulk 181 with a print run in the 250k to possibly 500k and was printed in a decade that spawned many collectors the book is just simply not that rare cgc census alone reports close to 15k of them with hundreds if not thousands of them surfaced on eBay raw in the past 4 months not including the amount that’s been sent over to grading services that’s been ridiculously backed up so if you’re looking for something to hold some value and be proud of owning look for low numbers and high grades that’s the way it works the least amount of the book you want exist the better it is in value

11 hours ago, Killerkelly said:

My best advise for this is not to buy into the hype books one of them being is hulk 181 with a print run in the 250k to possibly 500k and was printed in a decade that spawned many collectors the book is just simply not that rare cgc census alone reports close to 15k of them with hundreds if not thousands of them surfaced on eBay raw in the past 4 months not including the amount that’s been sent over to grading services that’s been ridiculously backed up so if you’re looking for something to hold some value and be proud of owning look for low numbers and high grades that’s the way it works the least amount of the book you want exist the better it is in value

That's a pretty bad take.  On one hand you have Hulk 181 featuring the first appearance of one of the most beloved x-man, with an iconic cover done by a artist who is no longer with us, in demand by way more people than the supply, with decades of stability when factoring inflation...on the other, you got Ronald McDonald Adventures #23 only copy graded in census.  Your logic says the latter is & will be worth more.

Unless you're teaching OP that value is all about what's in our hearts as if this hobby is some Nickelodeon special, I wouldn't suggest that.  Might as well just tell him to take his money and bet it all on 43 black.

3 hours ago, Sky1 said:

That's a pretty bad take.  On one hand you have Hulk 181 featuring the first appearance of one of the most beloved x-man, with an iconic cover done by a artist who is no longer with us, in demand by way more people than the supply, with decades of stability when factoring inflation...on the other, you got Ronald McDonald Adventures #23 only copy graded in census.  Your logic says the latter is & will be worth more.

Unless you're teaching OP that value is all about what's in our hearts as if this hobby is some Nickelodeon special, I wouldn't suggest that.  Might as well just tell him to take his money and bet it all on 43 black.

If the 181 run was shorter I can see it being worth the 13500 that a 8.5 goes for now in days but that type of ridiculous price is not gonna last long people ain’t that stupid to keep paying up for something that’s literally never stopped appearing on eBay once people realize that books like JIM83 and AF15 are much more harder to find they’ll understand that wolverines value isn’t worth no where near what the others in rare categories are and I never said books like Ronald McDonald but I guess if that’s a book you like then that’s what you like the books I meant is low numbered major key issues like asm annual 1 or asm 1 2 3 4 or books like daredevil 1 or maybe even something like a avengers 1 those are books that will always carry weight behind them unlike 181 where you can go to nearly any comic collector an ask if they have one and they all will say yes I have multiple 181’s I know a gentleman with 26 of them so believe me when I say the books value and rarity isn’t they’re action comics 1 just sold for 3 million reason why is because it’s rare and the grade is even more rare 

38 minutes ago, Killerkelly said:

If the 181 run was shorter I can see it being worth the 13500 that a 8.5 goes for now in days but that type of ridiculous price is not gonna last long people ain’t that stupid to keep paying up for something that’s literally never stopped appearing on eBay once people realize that books like JIM83 and AF15 are much more harder to find they’ll understand that wolverines value isn’t worth no where near what the others in rare categories are and I never said books like Ronald McDonald but I guess if that’s a book you like then that’s what you like the books I meant is low numbered major key issues like asm annual 1 or asm 1 2 3 4 or books like daredevil 1 or maybe even something like a avengers 1 those are books that will always carry weight behind them unlike 181 where you can go to nearly any comic collector an ask if they have one and they all will say yes I have multiple 181’s I know a gentleman with 26 of them so believe me when I say the books value and rarity isn’t they’re action comics 1 just sold for 3 million reason why is because it’s rare and the grade is even more rare 

A very well known dealer once said to me there are only two books that always have demand. Meaning he lists one for sale and they sell almost instantly no matter the year or trend.

AF15 and Hulk 181. 

For nearly 40 years that book has outpaced most other big keys in growth and I'm just not sure how that stops, with the younger generations affection for Wolvie. 

You know why your friends got 26 copies? Because he is betting on it being worth more. Otherwise, he would sell 25 of them today. 

Edited by KCOComics

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

A very well known dealer once said to me there are only two books that always have demand. Meaning he lists one for sale and they sell almost instantly no matter the year or trend.

AF15 and Hulk 181. 

For nearly 40 years that book has outpaced most other big keys in growth and I'm just not sure how that stops, with the younger generations affection for Wolvie. 

You know why your friends got 26 copies? Because he is betting on it being worth more. Otherwise, he would sell 25 of them today. 

Only time can tell I gave my advise 181 is too much of a hype book I don’t see it worth the money people are spending on them it’s pretty dumb to give 13’500 for a 8.5 181 put that money somewhere else wolverine is a crappy investment we’ve seen climbs like this when the movie was released it dropped back down my advise is not to be a sucker and go buy into the hype books specially ones like 181 and UFO4 only dumb people give 3k on a modern book printed in the millions 😂 my advise was to buy low run hard to find high grade books like FF5 has always been very hard to find very low printing and nearly impossible to find in a high grade meaning 8.5 and up and time has proven that book has always been worth ridiculous amounts of money and it’s a book every comic book collector wants not a book that everyone has because I’m pretty sure everyone on this cgc chat board has a 181 im pretty damn sure high grade as well because we all bought them before they blew up that is if you haven’t sold it by now so don’t listen to people who will give 13k on a book that’s just not worth it unless you plan on dumping it when wolverine eventually shows up at some point in the mcu 

16 hours ago, Killerkelly said:

Only time can tell I gave my advise 181 is too much of a hype book I don’t see it worth the money people are spending on them it’s pretty dumb to give 13’500 for a 8.5 181 put that money somewhere else wolverine is a crappy investment we’ve seen climbs like this when the movie was released it dropped back down my advise is not to be a sucker and go buy into the hype books specially ones like 181 and UFO4 only dumb people give 3k on a modern book printed in the millions 😂 my advise was to buy low run hard to find high grade books like FF5 has always been very hard to find very low printing and nearly impossible to find in a high grade meaning 8.5 and up and time has proven that book has always been worth ridiculous amounts of money and it’s a book every comic book collector wants not a book that everyone has because I’m pretty sure everyone on this cgc chat board has a 181 im pretty damn sure high grade as well because we all bought them before they blew up that is if you haven’t sold it by now so don’t listen to people who will give 13k on a book that’s just not worth it unless you plan on dumping it when wolverine eventually shows up at some point in the mcu 

You get the reward for the longest run on sentence of the day ^^

-bc

2 hours ago, EarthRosyAzul said:

You are totally clueless. Nobody should ever take advice from you, ever (thumbsu

My advise is pretty clear only dumb people spend 13k on a book that literally everyone has hints the reason why it was always cheap once everything goes back to normal that book in a 8.5 will never be 13k again at least not for a very long time 

19 hours ago, Killerkelly said:

It's a mistake to compare IH181 to ASM1, DD1, Avengers 1 and especially to Action Comics 1.  Those books are on a completely different level due to a combination of popularity, rarity, age, and available supply.  Do I think IH181 is overvalued?  Yes.  Do I think it's a book worthy of "investment"?  Yes.  There are a few books that have proven themselves to be resilient to market fluctuations over an extended period of time, and IH181 is one of those books.  It turns 47 at the end of this year and throughout most of its collected history, has held its own in terms of value.  I fully expect the price to drop down a little, but it's not returning to pre-covid levels.  And in all likelihood will probably creep higher over time.  

15 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

It's a mistake to compare IH181 to ASM1, DD1, Avengers 1 and especially to Action Comics 1.  Those books are on a completely different level due to a combination of popularity, rarity, age, and available supply.  Do I think IH181 is overvalued?  Yes.  Do I think it's a book worthy of "investment"?  Yes.  There are a few books that have proven themselves to be resilient to market fluctuations over an extended period of time, and IH181 is one of those books.  It turns 47 at the end of this year and throughout most of its collected history, has held its own in terms of value.  I fully expect the price to drop down a little, but it's not returning to pre-covid levels.  And in all likelihood will probably creep higher over time.  

I can 100% agree with you on this it’s 100% a great investment but not at the prices it’s at today as of last month it has become way too much money to see any significant gains at this point at least from what I can see today is just a sellers market buyers are harshly over paying but most of them are okay with it the good thing about today is the internet has helped out plenty of buyers and sellers 

22 minutes ago, EarthRosyAzul said:

I'm sensing sour grapes hm

SentimentalConstantFritillarybutterfly-s

Defiantly not sour my dude I sold 5 of them at over 9k a piece so trust me I love the fact that people are spending stupid money on a book that’s easy to find 

3 minutes ago, Killerkelly said:

I can 100% agree with you on this it’s 100% a great investment but not at the prices it’s at today as of last month it has become way too much money to see any significant gains at this point at least from what I can see today is just a sellers market buyers are harshly over paying but most of them are okay with it the good thing about today is the internet has helped out plenty of buyers and sellers 

This is true of almost any book with exception to what I consider "the Big 3" (Action Comics 1, 'tec 27, and AF15).  There is never a bad time to buy those books because over time, they will always go up.  There's a saying when investing in the stock market, "time in the market > timing the market".  You don't time when to buy "the Big 3", you just buy it when you have the means and opportunity to do so.  It's true that every other book right now has had its value inflated.  Some books were justified in getting a bump.  Those books won't see as dramatic a fall when prices normalize.  Others weren't justified at all and we'll see those prices crash harder than the rest.  But to single out IH181 as a "hype book" is where we disagree.  West Coast Avengers #45 is a hype book.  Captain America #25 is a hype book.

25 minutes ago, ExNihilo said:

This is true of almost any book with exception to what I consider "the Big 3" (Action Comics 1, 'tec 27, and AF15).  There is never a bad time to buy those books because over time, they will always go up.  There's a saying when investing in the stock market, "time in the market > timing the market".  You don't time when to buy "the Big 3", you just buy it when you have the means and opportunity to do so.  It's true that every other book right now has had its value inflated.  Some books were justified in getting a bump.  Those books won't see as dramatic a fall when prices normalize.  Others weren't justified at all and we'll see those prices crash harder than the rest.  But to single out IH181 as a "hype book" is where we disagree.  West Coast Avengers #45 is a hype book.  Captain America #25 is a hype book.

Maybe I’m too stubborn to see 181 worth the prices it’s going for right now I just feel with that type of money there’s just better books to buy like a af15 or asm 1 FF1 FF5 or if you can afford the DC goldage keys in mid to high grades which are just books that has always passed me by because they are just simply more then I can afford I wish I could’ve bought them tho I do agree that 181 has been very well undervalued for a long time but now I feel it’s over valued which to me isn’t really fair to real collectors not just people who’s buying and selling them I sold mine because I wanted better books to dump off when shows and movies come out in order to in hopes buy a high grade AF15 

On 4/12/2021 at 5:17 PM, shadroch said:

Unless dozens of people are pooling their stimulus checks, there has to be other explanations as well.

You mean like when I suggested that a bunch of drug dealers and money launderers had discovered comic book collecting? 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

You mean like when I suggested that a bunch of drug dealers and money launderers had discovered comic book collecting? 

Loose lips sink ships.

I've been auditioning a few new financial advisors and rather than get scoffed at when I mention my comic collection, the last two I spoke to asked some pointed questions about what I had and what my plans were.  One of them mentioned how the auction houses were very attractive properties with the rise of premiums. 

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Loose lips sink ships.

I've been auditioning a few new financial advisors and rather than get scoffed at when I mention my comic collection, the last two I spoke to asked some pointed questions about what I had and what my plans were.  One of them mentioned how the auction houses were very attractive properties with the rise of premiums. 

My tax guy advised me to buy a place in Florida, live there for at least 8 months, and then sell everything so I could give a two finger salute to New York. 

Edited by Buzzetta

2 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

My tax guy advised me to buy a place in Florida, live there for at least 8 months, and then sell everything so I could give a two finger salute to New York. 

Nevada. It's the place to be.  

There are lots of opportunities in Nevada and Arizona. 

1 minute ago, shadroch said:

Nevada. It's the place to be.  

There are lots of opportunities in Nevada and Arizona. 

A lot of things can change in 3,345 days.