• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Warped inner slab?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I recently purchased this CGC slab (graded in 2014), and it arrived today. It appears that the inner well is heavily warped. I tried to get the right angle in a photo, but it doesn't accurately reproduce the way it looks. I have attached a couple of photos...one to try and show the warping, and another to show where it appears the inner well is and isn't pressing directly against the comic (you can see the contrast). I guess I have a few questions:

1. Is this something that is known to occur with CGC slabs (of certain years)?

2. Is this cosmetic-only? or is it possible that the book has been damaged while in the slab by this warping? I am primarily concerned with the comic being in the condition it was graded, and if just cosmetic, I could seek a re-holder in the future.

3. Would you expect that a seller would disclose this?

Thanks

20210412_174231.jpg

20210412_174324.jpg

3 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

Looks like a Newton Ring, which is just a cosmetic flaw.

Thanks. After searching for images of slabs with Newton Rings, that looks to be the case. I'm not sure if the warping/waviness is something separate from the Newton Rings, or directly related. When you look at the slab from a side angle it looks like little hills and valley's.

4 minutes ago, Slyde said:

Thanks. After searching for images of slabs with Newton Rings, that looks to be the case. I'm not sure if the warping/waviness is something separate from the Newton Rings, or directly related. When you look at the slab from a side angle it looks like little hills and valley's.

The waviness is what's causing the Newton Ring. What caused the waviness? Not sure.

3 minutes ago, 1 2 3 4 Thumb War! said:

The back definitely looks like the examples in that link. I noticed it more on the front though, where there are several "puddles". I'm not sure what I should do at this point....I can't tell if any damage has been done to the book.