• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping and Insurance advice?

10 posts in this topic

I can accept that I'm probably just poor at researching, but I can't find any decent answers to my question beyond someone on YouTube saying "Use a collectibles insurance agency." CGC offers ShipandInsure at a significant markdown. Is this an advisable and easy service? Is a website like PirateShip.com credible for cheaper shipping rates? Any experienced advice is helpful, thanks!

9 hours ago, Comic Pingu said:

I can accept that I'm probably just poor at researching, but I can't find any decent answers to my question beyond someone on YouTube saying "Use a collectibles insurance agency." CGC offers ShipandInsure at a significant markdown. Is this an advisable and easy service? Is a website like PirateShip.com credible for cheaper shipping rates? Any experienced advice is helpful, thanks!

I think I recall someone mentioning Pirate Ship before. No comment on Ship and Insure.

What are you looking for? A way to avoid paying USPS or FedEx shipping insurance? 

I insure my collection with CIS (collectible insurance services).  The biggest reason I did it,  was because shipping insurance was costing me a fortune. CIS covers shipping and the money I saved on shipping insurance quickly offset the annual fee. 

I've never had a problem. Never filled a claim. So I can't tell you how they are with that stuff. I can tell you every time I've asked them a question,  they are extremely responsive. 

Edited by KCOComics

13 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I insure my collection with CIS (collectible insurance services).  The biggest reason I did it,  was because shipping insurance was costing me a fortune. CIS covers shipping and the money I saved on shipping insurance quickly offset the annual fee. 

I've never had a problem. Never filled a claim. So I can't tell you how they are with that stuff. I can tell you every time I've asked them a question,  they are extremely responsive. 

@KCOComicsis exactly correct. I use CIS also. FYI - if you expect CIS to insure you comics when you mail them, you have to send them with USPS or FedEx. Also, the package must be "signature required," not that means much in this day and age. I, too, have been fortunate in that I have never had to file a claim either.

On 4/12/2021 at 9:13 PM, Comic Pingu said:

The material pirateship.com has on Priority Mail flat rate "cubic" pricing is worth checking out.

pirateship.com offers insurance (via Shipsurance), but take careful note of their exclusions, including:

"Additionally, collectible coins, comic books, sports cards and similar that are being shipped to be graded and have their value established are excluded. Collectible coins, comic books, sports cards, and similar are not excluded if they have already been graded and have their value established or if they were sold under a paid, commercial invoice or have a recent appraisal."  ( https://support.pirateship.com/en/articles/3222601-shipping-insurance-terms-and-conditions )

It looks like insurance from USPS itself has similar exclusions, in that their proof of value requires documentation you might well not have when sending raw books for grading or consignment: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097204 .  Farther down that page, under "Payable Claim", we see:

For collectible items, a sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer(i.e., a licensed business owner who is qualified to estimate value or cost of repairs for the item) must be provided as described in 3.2a.

1 hour ago, LiftedAndShifted said:

It looks like insurance from USPS itself has similar exclusions, in that their proof of value requires documentation you might well not have when sending raw books for grading or consignment: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/609.htm#ep1097204 .  Farther down that page, under "Payable Claim", we see:

For collectible items, a sales receipt, paid invoice or bill of sale, or statement of value from a reputable dealer(i.e., a licensed business owner who is qualified to estimate value or cost of repairs for the item) must be provided as described in 3.2a.

Yikes I never knew that. 

CIS covers shipping insurance on comics without all that. They do require a signature and proof you actually owned the comic.  A photo or receipt. 

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

Yikes I never knew that. 

CIS covers shipping insurance on comics without all that. They do require a signature and proof you actually owned the comic.  A photo or receipt. 

On the phone today, MyComicShop said that they do participate in insurance claims for consignments, so presumably that would satisfy USPS and the above-mentioned USPS insurance exclusion would not apply.

Hi, I'm pretty new to the boards and just had a followup question to the original post.

I have a policy with CIS and I'm about to send my first packages to CGC next week. For those of you who are veterans at shipping with CIS coverage, do you have any advice regarding the details of the process? Specifically, I'm wondering if I ship with FedEx, do I need to state a higher declared value, or do I just send it at the minimum declared value ($100 at FedEx) and I'll still be covered by CIS even if my books are worth a lot more.

Also, what kind of documentation is required just in case a claim with CIS is needed? I'll be taking front and back scans of my books as well as a picture of everything I'm putting in the package. But is there something specific you need to prove you put those books in that package you sent?