• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whatever happened to the original cover arts of AC1, TeC27, AF15, Batman1, FF1, ASM1, etc?

18 posts in this topic

Any of the holy grails original cover art ever been found?....If the books can command 300K up to 3M, what do you think the original arts could fetch?... 20-50M?? ...We're talking prices reserved for classical drawings (Raphael, Rembrandt, etc, ....though major Michelangelo or Leonardo's drawings, if ever come up on auction could easily go over 150M-200M)

Just now, thunsicker said:

That's the interior art.  Cover's gone as far as I know.

Ah, you're right.  The AF15 never did have the cover art which was drawn by Kirby.  I wonder if that had something to do with it.

11 minutes ago, Larryw7 said:

I think Steve Fishler from Metropolis may own some of them.

8 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

Well, AF 15 is in the library of congress.  https://www.loc.gov/loc/lcib/0805/spiderman.html

Others, I've not heard.

awesome that some of them are preserved!!...24 pages of AF15 wow!! 

Gone are the days where libraries and museums looked at comic arts as kiddie arts or trash not worth preserving.......they should be preserved as national treasures

Edited by IronMan_Cave

The Golden Age stuff sadly is probably gone.  HOWEVER...there are a few early cover examples out there - some early Detective, Action Comics, etc are known to exist.  The cover to Detective 28 exists so ask yourself, "Why would anyone save to cover to 28 and not 27?" - 27 being more visually appealing IMO.

I'm somewhat more bullish on the Silver Age stuff eventually surfacing.  If it's out there, my bet is that someone is sitting on a ton of it...

Edited by pemart1966

If any does exist is it possible it would only change hands covertly owing to the fact of how it came to be in one's possession in the first place?!  Or perhaps given the history of original art the possessor could just say it was given to him or his father/grandfather once upon a time.  We've all heard the stories about pages being given out to visitors or being used to walk on when the floor was slippery after a rainstorm. 

Edited by Coverless 9.8

I remember seeing an interview with Neal Adams discussing his crusade for artists to retain their original artwork from the comic book companies because it wasn’t being treated or preserved as well as it should. Who knows what happened to a lot of those artworks prior to this