• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Staple Dimple Pressable?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have a higher value modern book that is pretty flawless except the bottom staple prongs overlap and it has created a small dimple in the pages and front cover. I want to “uncross” the staple before sending it to try and get it pressed out, but don’t want to do anything that would be considered restoration. Does anyone know if that would be considered restoration or if I could send it in for a regular (not quick) press and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks!!

94C0FA43-67A6-406D-A20D-3075CF3460D1.jpeg

F813AD69-7630-4012-A824-CCB9EC7EF696.jpeg

6 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Personally, I'd leave it alone...

I certainly would not be able to stop kicking myself if it came back as a 9.6 and if I just leave it ungraded I am worrying I am risking further damage, namely that it breaks the color on the dimple. I appreciate the response, but doing nothing has been crossed off the possibility list - hence the post.

6 hours ago, Grey 5 said:

I certainly would not be able to stop kicking myself if it came back as a 9.6 and if I just leave it ungraded I am worrying I am risking further damage, namely that it breaks the color on the dimple. I appreciate the response, but doing nothing has been crossed off the possibility list - hence the post.

I wish you the best of luck...  :)

6 hours ago, Grey 5 said:

As Paul Newman's character, Luke, said to George Kennedy's character, "Dragline" in Cool Hand Luke, after bluffing his way to a win at poker, "Sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand".

Sometimes Nothin Can Be A Cool Hand! - YouTube  

welcome.gif

You want to physically alter the existing staple so you can press it and smooth out the staple dimple? 

To me, that sounds very abrasive and you run the risk of doing additional damage to the book. 

I also wouldn't touch it personally. 

@The Lions Den would the staple dimple be considered a manufacturing defect in this situation?

11 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

You want to physically alter the existing staple so you can press it and smooth out the staple dimple? 

To me, that sounds very abrasive and you run the risk of doing additional damage to the book. 

I also wouldn't touch it personally. 

@The Lions Den would the staple dimple be considered a manufacturing defect in this situation?

+1

Can you say "Comic Kamikaze" 5 times fast? That's a helluva' tongue twister. I can't even make it past time number 2. :whatthe:

1 hour ago, KCOComics said:

Not your typical manufacturing defect, but for me it wouldn't affect the grade much. I could still see a 9.6 depending upon the extent of the dimple. 

What I don't understand is the desire to alter something that appears to have occurred during the natural course of the manufacturing process. I agree with the AOD---it's a risky venture which could potentially turn a blue label to green...

3 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Not your typical manufacturing defect, but for me it wouldn't affect the grade much. I could still see a 9.6 depending upon the extent of the dimple. 

What I don't understand is the desire to alter something that appears to have occurred during the natural course of the manufacturing process. I agree with the AOD---it's a risky venture which could potentially turn a blue label to green...

That's definitely the concern, I just was curious if anyone had any experience either way with it. Making the adjustment and then getting hit with a green label, or more realistically sending it in to the "pros" to get pressed. Do they make that obvious adjustment prior to pressing to not damage the book? I appreciate there are no guarantees in life, but as I have seen this defect on books before, I was hoping somebody may have had some experience on the best way of fixing it. Although it does seem like everyone else doesn't suffer from the same flavor of OCD and would be fine staring at that dimple behind a 9.6 slab.

2 hours ago, Grey 5 said:

That's definitely the concern, I just was curious if anyone had any experience either way with it. Making the adjustment and then getting hit with a green label, or more realistically sending it in to the "pros" to get pressed. Do they make that obvious adjustment prior to pressing to not damage the book? I appreciate there are no guarantees in life, but as I have seen this defect on books before, I was hoping somebody may have had some experience on the best way of fixing it. Although it does seem like everyone else doesn't suffer from the same flavor of OCD and would be fine staring at that dimple behind a 9.6 slab.

At this point, that staple wouldn't raise an eyebrow from the graders at CGC. Sometimes a small abnormality is better than trying to artificially manipulate something. But if you still wish to pursue this, I would advise contacting an expert...  (thumbsu 

On 4/26/2021 at 1:42 PM, The Lions Den said:

At this point, that staple wouldn't raise an eyebrow from the graders at CGC. Sometimes a small abnormality is better than trying to artificially manipulate something. But if you still wish to pursue this, I would advise contacting an expert...  (thumbsu 

unfortunately, everyone considers themselves an expert.