• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 238
1 1

19 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Is that a stain on the upper left corner edge of the back cover??

I just looked and it looks like maybe a marker?  It’s strange because I never even noticed it.  I know that sounds crazy but it just looked like it was supposed to be there to me at a glance.

16 minutes ago, tigerba29 said:

I just looked and it looks like maybe a marker?  It’s strange because I never even noticed it.  I know that sounds crazy but it just looked like it was supposed to be there to me at a glance.

Hmmm.  Well, I don't think it's overspray...a production defect.  I'll go 7.0,maybe 7.5. (thumbsu

14 minutes ago, Galen130 said:

Hmmm.  Well, I don't think it's overspray...a production defect.  I'll go 7.0,maybe 7.5. (thumbsu

No it isn’t overspray.  Giving me second thoughts on sending this one in now.

3 minutes ago, tigerba29 said:

Our estimates are usually conservative.  There's a chance it may grade a bit higher after a CP. (thumbsu

I doubt that 'mark' has a significant effect on the grading..it's not a water stain..which causes the imagination to go wild and is unsightly. It's just a mark. With the small left bottom corner and a couple creases..I would say a 9.0. I would suggest waiting till John Romita jr can sign it to send it in..or send it now for Jim Shooter's sig. Pressing is cheaper with SS (only 20) and if it does drop down lower(I seriously doubt  it will go lower than 8.5) , you have a signature to buffer the lower grade.

Edited by Ed Hanes

Agree with Ed. There’s a little fraying on the lower left FC, and then the marker or whatever it is. But based on the pics it’s hard to find more problems with this. I’d say a 9.0, but also based on the pics I don’t think a CP will help. It’s a beautiful book, and I love the idea of slabbing it as a ss.

9 hours ago, tigerba29 said:

I would still send. Some people on here tend to really downgrade for "production" flaws and if this is one, it will hardly factor into the grade. Consider that there are 8.0-9.0 books where people have neat written marker on the front cover and you can be assured that even if that mark is NOT production related, it will not hurt much.

As for grade...couple spine ticks, and that bottom of spine ding/minute crease are the biggest flaws I see. 9.0-9.2 would not be crazy here at all. Yours looks better than the copy I submitted which has a couple more ticks and a small edge crease and I am expecting 7.5ish so I highly doubt yours would be in the same range.

12 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

I would still send. Some people on here tend to really downgrade for "production" flaws and if this is one, it will hardly factor into the grade. Consider that there are 8.0-9.0 books where people have neat written marker on the front cover and you can be assured that even if that mark is NOT production related, it will not hurt much.

As for grade...couple spine ticks, and that bottom of spine ding/minute crease are the biggest flaws I see. 9.0-9.2 would not be crazy here at all. Yours looks better than the copy I submitted which has a couple more ticks and a small edge crease and I am expecting 7.5ish so I highly doubt yours would be in the same range.

Yeah after reading some more comments I think I might give it a shot.  Might press and clean just to see if it’ll get rid of some of the small things you mentioned.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:58 PM, Devin Colman said:

The biggest question for 238 is: Does it have the tattooz? If it doesn't, not worth sending or you'll be stuck with that green label. Otherwise, I think this is VF/NM

It does.