• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can this Stain be removed?

16 posts in this topic

Hello fellow collectors.

I usually come here to learn and to read more how to grade my own cómics.

And for the first time i have a stain on a rather key book.

Do you guys think this stain would come off with a press and clean?

Thank you very much.

IMG-20210423-WA0027.jpg

IMG_20210423_174821.jpg

9 hours ago, Galen130 said:

Is it rough-feeling or sticky?  Or is it ingrained into the paper, that you can tell? 

Is dry and It feels that it would come of if i scratched It a bit(Will not do It of course).

34 minutes ago, Flip1987 said:

Is dry and It feels that it would come of if i scratched It a bit(Will not do It of course).

If it is dry and superficial, Absorene may lift it off, but you would want to be careful. Most professional pressers offer a dry clean service as well and would be able to give you a better assessment.

Edited by USCMitch

2 hours ago, USCMitch said:

If it is dry and superficial, Absorene may lift it off, but you would want to be careful. Most professional pressers offer a dry clean service as well and would be able to give you a better assessment.

Thank you very much for your response.

Yes its dry and it seems superficial since It didnt came through the front cover to the pages. I Will try to get an assessment from a profesional before doing anything.

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

If it is dry (like something dry and crusty that you can feel has texture), sure it can come off. Youtube has plenty of people doing stuff like that. .Practice on junk comics then go for it. Or have someone who is pro do it. 

Thats exactly how It feels, dry and crusty. Im afraid of doing It myself, since the book is in quité good shape. I Will try to get it to a profesional. Not easy tough living in Spain...

39 minutes ago, Flip1987 said:

Thats exactly how It feels, dry and crusty. Im afraid of doing It myself, since the book is in quité good shape. I Will try to get it to a profesional. Not easy tough living in Spain...

You might be able, with a dry q-tip, to gently brush it off. Just a bit of pressure as opposed to using a fingernail to scrape it off. 

9 hours ago, Flip1987 said:

Sorry!!

And thank you, in my defense i said a semi Key! 😂

It's definitely a key. We now have 2 marvel shows in a row with characters that have their first appearance in that book and another show on the way for Kate Bishop. Nice key to have. Your best bet for this is to send to a professional, you should press this book too just in case. So send to a professional in the US who will clean/press your book and send it to CGC for you. I'd send more than just 1 book to make the shipping back and forth worthwhile.

13 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

You might be able, with a dry q-tip, to gently brush it off. Just a bit of pressure as opposed to using a fingernail to scrape it off. 

I was thinking the same thing...apply minimal pressure and check often to make sure the gloss isn’t being affected and the ink isn’t getting smudged.

Depending on the type of stain it may have slightly penetrated the paper, in which case there may still be something left behind when the crusty surface part of the stain is removed.

Good luck!

On 4/30/2021 at 9:47 AM, Flip1987 said:

Sorry!!

And thank you, in my defense i said a semi Key! 😂

Although things may change, at the moment, you're not in need of any defense. Not right now. And certainly not from this! Hop aboard, fresh fish!! (thumbsu

welcome.gif