• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this the dumbest idea ever?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

This has applied to almost every artist and so many more. Morbid as it may be..

Absolutely. Some far more than others. Vulture syndrome combined with "Oh no! I always MEANT to check him/her/them out!" Glaringly obvious with the death of John Prine. Top tier songwriter/performer and it was always "John Who?" before that. The Grateful Dead is a little different in that they were hugely popular pre 1995. Seemed to make money hand over fist. Sold out concerts every time. Now, the remainers are stamping that Stealie on anything that moves. That's what I liked about Elvis Presley. Didn't do commercials. Didn't brand. Sure, he sold his "souvenirs" at shows but everyone does that. Even now, they aren't giving out licenses for food and beverage shills. Kinda like that.

4 hours ago, Randall Ries said:

Tell it to Elvis Presley and Jerry Garcia. Worth far more dead than alive. Especially the remaining members of the GD. They would put that Stealie on cyanide ampules if they think it will make them some money.

Hush you.  John Mayer is excellent live.  I never appreciated him until I caught a couple of Dead and Company shows.  In fact... I might catch heat for this.  Mayer might be the best touring guitarist currently out there.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Hush you.  John Mayer is excellent live.  I never appreciated him until I caught a couple of Dead and Company shows.  In fact... I might catch heat for this.  Mayer might be the best touring guitarist currently out there.

I'm certainly not knocking Mayer. He's just a hired hand in the DeadCo setup. An employee. I didn't care for "Pop" Mayer but was surprised when they hired him. And he did very very well. That stuff might look easy to play, but it's in weird signatures and timings.

Mayer and Oteil would get going and Weir would slow them back down with that terrible snail's pace he insists on playing. Man, I hate Deadco. Never thought I would appreciate Furthur. LOL!

Jake Cinninger and Brendan Bayliss from Umphrey's McGee are absolute savants. The music can be hard to listen to if we aren't expecting it. They leave Mayer holding their jackets.

Oh yes: Dead And Company, The Dead and Furthur were NEVER The Grateful Dead. Ever. I realize people are starting to refer to Deadco as "The Grateful Dead". No. Not even.

Edited by Randall Ries

13 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

When it comes to PSA / DNA or Steiner while we are at it, the sticker is there to denote authenticity regardless of grade.  The adhesive is "allegedly" designed so that the sticker suffers damage if someone attempts to remove it.  If the sticker is damaged, then the item's authenticity is called into question. 

I think sometimes in this hobby we tend to drift into the false notion that a number on a slab equates the value of the item if you are collecting signatures and sketches.  There are plenty of rare signatures out there where the condition of the item signed is secondary to the item itself. 

Yeah but Stan Lee signatures aren’t all that rare. Neither is Marvel Age #32. And comics are one of those things where the condition of the item isn’t exactly secondary. It would be like Stan Lee at a convention signing a comic, folding it in half horizontally, and handing it back to you. In order for condition to not matter the signature would have to be so rare that buying a better example isn’t an option. Something likenAlexander Hamilton, Billy the Kid, Jack the Ripper, Shakespeare.

8 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Buzzetta is a comedy GENIUS!