• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was trimmed, now not

11 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Well... if the cover was trimmed, from a certain point of view the leaf casting could un-trim it. I mean, that opens up a whole different can of worms, but ...

What I'm wondering is when Hero sent the book in to be regraded, did CGC know the trimmed edge had been restored (un-trimmed) or was it undetectable? 

19 minutes ago, Qalyar said:

Well... if the cover was trimmed, from a certain point of view the leaf casting could un-trim it. I mean, that opens up a whole different can of worms, but ...

Agreed. But talk about the concept of resto meaning "adding something to a book" - well, leaf casting certainly does add foreign substances to the book. This may also account for the cream pages now white. Sounds like the book was subject to some kind of bleaching to achieve the white and the leaf cast was made to match. 

And they say "color and gloss match" - this REALLY sticks in my craw. There IS no "gloss" one can add that is anything but totally foreign and only designed to be a fake match. As I have said here many times "gloss" is an inherent part of the paper manufacturing process. Cover stock is a better quality paper than the newsprint interior and any glossy cover stock from such a comic book is a result of "calendering" the paper during manufacture. "Calendering" is running the paper through highly polish rollers under pressure to achieve a nice glossy finish. GLOSS IS PART OF THE PAPER ITSELF. IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO ADD/MATCH. That comment "No mention of reglossing" really ticks me: both on Hero's part and CGCs part. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGLOSSING. IT DOES NOT EXIST. 

Jeeze can ANY CGC resto person address this? This had to be one of the most idiotic things I have seen. 

The reason this jumped out to me was because I sent in a restored FF1 after leaf casting and it came back as trimmed.

I tried to explain that trimming a comic back to its original specs after leaf casting should't be noted as trimmed on the label.

I didn't make it very far with that argument.

Edited by MatterEaterLad

10 minutes ago, MatterEaterLad said:

The reason this jumped out to me was because I sent in a restored FF1 after leaf casting and it came back as trimmed.

I tried to explain that trimming a comic back to its original specs after leaf casting should't be noted as trimmed on the label.

I didn't make it very far with that argument.

Sorry but my take is the book is still trimmed, leaf cast or not. The ORIGINAL edges have been trimmed. To me ANY  leaf casting should go under "pieces added" and given a purple label. 

2 hours ago, MatterEaterLad said:

I'm fine with trimmed or not trimmed. I'm not fine with the inconsistency between books.

I agree, but do we know if the description marked above is referring to specifically what CGC states on the label? Or is it just them saying what they changed to the book?

13 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

Agreed. But talk about the concept of resto meaning "adding something to a book" - well, leaf casting certainly does add foreign substances to the book. This may also account for the cream pages now white. Sounds like the book was subject to some kind of bleaching to achieve the white and the leaf cast was made to match. 

And they say "color and gloss match" - this REALLY sticks in my craw. There IS no "gloss" one can add that is anything but totally foreign and only designed to be a fake match. As I have said here many times "gloss" is an inherent part of the paper manufacturing process. Cover stock is a better quality paper than the newsprint interior and any glossy cover stock from such a comic book is a result of "calendering" the paper during manufacture. "Calendering" is running the paper through highly polish rollers under pressure to achieve a nice glossy finish. GLOSS IS PART OF THE PAPER ITSELF. IT IS NOT SOMETHING TO ADD/MATCH. That comment "No mention of reglossing" really ticks me: both on Hero's part and CGCs part. THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS REGLOSSING. IT DOES NOT EXIST. 

Jeeze can ANY CGC resto person address this? This had to be one of the most idiotic things I have seen. 

Doesn't sizing add to the gloss?  That's what every professional restorer has told me.  

34 minutes ago, buttock said:

Doesn't sizing add to the gloss?  That's what every professional restorer has told me.  

Sizing's primary function is to help reduce the paper's absorption of ink. A sizing solution applied by a restorer can add to the gloss when something like a float rinse or wet wash has raised the fibers (not unlike wetting wood to raise the fibers for a fie finish sanding) and dulled the book. During my time learning restoration and experimenting I would re-size books with an airbrushed methyl-cellulose solution but it never had the same effect. Always a bit flatter and duller than the original. Sizing also allows newsprint itself to be printed on without it absorbing too much ink. 

Edited by PovertyRow
last sentence added