• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How is this in a blue label? Batman Double Double #3
3 3

17 posts in this topic

I looked it up in the registry.  It's says Universal there, which is wrong for sure.  It was slabbed in 2015.  I think Green labels were around then, right? 

Maybe there is a secret tier that we don't know about, where you get to customize the label.  I wonder how much THAT costs.

1916318156_Screenshot_2021-05-05VerifyCGCCertificationCGC.thumb.png.70297b53cae76e85ca4ccad332866a87.png

Incomplete, 2 missing pages which affect story, and getting a blue 5 is beyond words. Should be a 1.0 at best.

I always thought that a 2nd grader always gets to look at a book, for QC purposes and for reasons of integrity.

In general, 'qualified', for defective reasons as opposed to unwitnessed signatures, is hogwash imo, a defect is a defect, if a book has a popped staple, it's a popped staple regardless of what the rest of the book is like.

I've never seen a 'qualified' label given to any water damage, no matter how small the damage is. It ALWAYS gets hammered down to a 6 at best. I had a Superboy 89 that was 8.5/9.0 (around a $1000 book) other than literally 2 water drops on the FC, came back as a blue 6.0 (around $200).

On 5/5/2021 at 3:34 PM, shadroch said:

5.0 Universal grade yet the label states 56th and 57th pages missing, and it affects the story, INCOMPLETE.

I'm thinking the label should have been "Qualified" but unfortunately no one entered it into the system. When that happens, the label will automatically print out as "Universal." Another one that got by QC---I guess they're not really looking at the label information these days...   

22 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

I'm thinking the label should have been "Qualified" but unfortunately no one entered it into the system. When that happens, the label will automatically print out as "Universal." Another one that got by QC---I guess they're not really looking at the label information these days...   

It appears the book was graded in 2015 so it's not a recent development.

19 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

Could it be a matter of simply training the QC people to double check, or are they so inundated with books waiting to be encapsulated that it is worth getting the bulk of the books out and fixing the mistakes later?

9 minutes ago, joeypost said:

Could it be a matter of simply training the QC people to double check, or are they so inundated with books waiting to be encapsulated that it is worth getting the bulk of the books out and fixing the mistakes later?

I would urge them to take a little more time when looking the books over and educate them on what to look for on the label. Any time there's a label note written in capital letters and the word INCOMPLETE is included, it's a strong indicator there's a major problem. At that point, you have to make sure the grade seems accurate, which should also be a routine part of the inspection.

And to me, it's a lot easier, efficient and reputation enhancing to correct these minor mistakes while the book is still on the premises...  :) 

On 5/8/2021 at 12:08 PM, speople said:

I've never seen a 'qualified' label given to any water damage, no matter how small the damage is. It ALWAYS gets hammered down to a 6 at best. I had a Superboy 89 that was 8.5/9.0 (around a $1000 book) other than literally 2 water drops on the FC, came back as a blue 6.0 (around $200).

FYI, the highest grade from CGC for water damage, so far, has been 7.0. It would have been a NM book otherwise but the droplet was missed.