• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spine split vs spine stress
1 1

12 posts in this topic

CGC label says:

Spine of cover & 1st wrap completely split & detached

And, grader notes say:

heavy spine splits to cover

heavy spine stress lines to cover

Sounds like malice from the grader in the notes. Any thoughts on the distinction between the notes and the label?

According to CGC, the grader notes are just notes from grader to grader.  They aren't meant for public use, but visible as a courtesy.  They may not even be comprehensive, but just snapshots.

The description on the label sounds pretty concise, maybe summed up by the following grader.  Two pieces of paper, the cover and first wrap, each completely split down the spine, neither still attached.  If that is correct, not much to consider. 

Of course, you can no longer get a good look at the first wrap, so you have to take their word on that..

Edited by Lightning55

7 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

According to CGC, the grader notes are just notes from grader to grader.  They aren't meant for public use, but visible as a courtesy.  They may not even be comprehensive, but just snapshots.

I didn't realize that. When I tried to interpret the graders notes vs the cover text, the grader notes give me a glimmer of hope that maybe the cover is attached in a few spots with this: "heavy spine splits to cover" but that where it is detached, there may be chunks out. But, the label text says no chance at all.

Then, with "heavy spine stress lines to cover" it's unclear because how can there be spine stress if there is no spine?

Can you tell the cover is completely split and detached?  If so, it's likely true that the first wrap is also.

I think that they are still referring to the area along what WAS the spine (staple edge) as having heavy stress lines.  Meaning it got so stressed and creased (worn out) in that area that it split and let go.

15 hours ago, innocuous said:

CGC label says:

Spine of cover & 1st wrap completely split & detached

And, grader notes say:

heavy spine splits to cover

heavy spine stress lines to cover

Sounds like malice from the grader in the notes. Any thoughts on the distinction between the notes and the label?

Lightning is correct. :smile:

And there's no intended malice from the graders---they're simply describing what they see (most of the grading notes are usually entered by the pre-grader). The note on the label may have been written by them as well, but it also could've been added later by the finalizer...  

Edited by The Lions Den

On 5/15/2021 at 5:49 PM, innocuous said:

That was meant to be sarcastic. Glad someone caught it. 

Sometimes I wonder why I even pay for the notes. In the past few years I may have spent $100 for notes to not find much usefulness 

Thanks all

They helped me in the past to notice things I could not on my own. For a completely split spine, buying the notes sounds beyond wasteful since we already know the main defect keeping the comic down. But for an 8.0 that you think might be a 9.0 with a press, the notes are a godsend. because they'll key you in on stuff that tell you if it's a pressing candidate or not. If you see staining, then it's a no go. But if all you get are non colourbreaking creases or finger bends, then pressing could be warranted.