• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has this book ben trimmed? ASM #361
1 1

35 posts in this topic

Another thing to consider is the reason people trimmed comics in the first place. Trimming generally is seen on Golden and Silver age books primarily because the edges would chip and soften and back in the 80's and early 90's, people trimmed books to make them appear nicer. Restoration like this was not seen as negatively as it is now.

This book, ASM 361, came out in 1992. It was printed on better quality paper (at least the covers were) that, 10 years from the time they came out, a lot of them that were cared for even slightly would still look amazing. That would put you into the early 2000's in terms of age for this book, a time when trimming was being viewed very negatively and would continue to be viewed until this day. So again, the reason for trimming this book seems like there might never have been one. Granted, it is possible some real amateur did a hack job on it sure, but that would have clear evidence. The likelihood that someone well versed in comics would have such a book trimmed professionally and have it look this horrible is very low. You can pay guys to trim books but generally they do it on old books as mentioned and they don't look this bad.

All signs are pointing to a production flaw for me. Remember, they printed a lot of copies to the point where even if 1-2% experience some sort of cutting flaw from production, you are looking at several thousand comics at least with a flaw similar. 

Edited by comicginger1789

59 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Another way is if the pages stick out beyond the edges of the cover. If they do not, I mean it is possible to trim an entire book but you would see fraying along the cut edge or if they tried to trim each page, it would show a TON of variation with some pages sticking out more than others. 

The pages do not stick out but they are frayed a bit.

IMG958396.jpg

IMG958395.jpg

IMG958400.jpg

IMG958401.jpg

IMG958402.jpg

And here is another pic that shows how horribly cut this book was in production.  This is the actual full cover where about 95% of the books I've seen cut that part off.  So while I don't feel the greatest about things being in my favor there is precedent.

Screenshot_20210519-100936_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210519-102508_eBay.jpg

Hmm tough to tell...that fraying is excessive. Not saying that couldn't also happen from production though...I mean if you sell it raw, you have all these visible flaws that buyers will be wary of and expect a discounted price because of them. If you grade and get green label, well then you know for sure and that will also take a hit when selling but it would be an honest sale where full disclosure of the trimming is given to a buyer. If it gets blue well, happiness all around as you should get the value of whatever grade it is (maybe a tad lower for not presenting as well). 

2 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

If you grade and get green label, well then you know for sure and that will also take a hit when selling but it would be an honest sale where full disclosure of the trimming is given to a buyer.

hm  

40 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

hm  

I'm sure he meant purple.  Either way I'm not to disturbed as I said my goal was to pass it on to my boy who is a huge Carnage fan.  I have a pc copy that is already at CGC.  But if i had my way I obviously want a blue label.

My main goal in this thread is information for the most part.  I have read and collected comics for years but I never bothered to know the technicals of it all.

Edited by Jemin

2 hours ago, Jemin said:

I'm sure he meant purple.  Either way I'm not to disturbed as I said my goal was to pass it on to my boy who is a huge Carnage fan.  I have a pc copy that is already at CGC.  But if i had my way I obviously want a blue label.

My main goal in this thread is information for the most part.  I have read and collected comics for years but I never bothered to know the technicals of it all.

Trimming is generally regarded as the worst thing someone can do to a book and will nearly always result in a purple label from CGC (there are cases where trimmed books have received a blue label, but these are extremely rare and usually due to labeling errors). The reason for my "thoughtful" emoji was to dispel any confusion as to what color label this book would receive if submitted to CGC and trimming was detected.

You did the right thing by posting the book here on the boards. There's a wealth of knowledge available here and for the most part I enjoy the discussions that take place---this one has been especially interesting. It's a lot easier to confirm trimming when you have the book in hand---detecting it from photos is much more difficult...

29 minutes ago, Jemin said:

I planned on it.  It was a book out of a collection I bought for relatively cheap so I'm not out.  It basically cost me a buck if that!

Nice! My scenario was similar with the Avengers Annual 10 I had. Wish I kept photos cuz that thing was terribly cut. I was going to send in but someone offered me a trade even with the miscut that I didn’t wanna turn down 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Honestly, I would stay away from this comic, unless you know for a fact that it wasnt trimmed.

Eh, between the low cost of the book and evidence from other books that have been graded I can and will take the chance on it.  I haven't looked into it but if it isn't to late I might submit for the Bagley signing!