• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mike Zeck...

25 posts in this topic

Is he completely out of the comics game?

He had some beautiful stuff, and I think I've read before that he's doing a lot of consignment stuff....but anyone know for sure if he's done with the industry and why??

Thanks man!!

I wish they'd get him back into some more mainstream stuff though! frown.gif

maybe uncanny...they could use some good art!

his talents are sorta wasted on damned and gi joe.....(since i don't read them wink.gif)

Is he completely out of the comics game?

He had some beautiful stuff, and I think I've read before that he's doing a lot of consignment stuff....but anyone know for sure if he's done with the industry and why??

Unfortunately, many of these 80's era artists are out of the mainstream. frown.gif

Today, it's all about exagerated anatomy and Jim Lee lookalikes.

As Zeck's "biggest" fan, I thought I should give you an update on Mike...

Mike is still around doing comic related work, but not as much as he did in the 80's. His most recent work for comics included some covers for DC's Deadshot series, a pin-up in the Spider-man 2 Special Edition DVD comic, and pencil layouts for an independent book call the Wannabe. Mike has done a lot of commissions for collectors in recent years and has also done some digital penciling, inking and coloring for DC's licensing department.

You can see most of his commissions on Mike's website at:

http://www.mikezeck.com/pgs/artforsale/recreationscans.html

His latest project has been to develop a "sketchbook" for collectors. I actually helped Mike pick out and assemble the pieces for this first sketchbook - it was truly an honor. I wanted to give people a glimpse as to what it would be like if they could comb through Mike's flat files like I did and also give them a perspective of what some of those famous pieces everyone gre up loviing looked like in their raw pencil form.

You can see an announcement about the sketchbook on Mike's website at:

http://www.mikezeck.com/pgs/SketchbookPf/sketchbookmain.html

It’s 52 pages of great stuff including:

- A 2-color "bloodsplatter" Punisher cover

- An amazing 1980’s unpublished “psychedelic” Captain America vs. Red Skull portfolio plate

- Two amazing vintage unpublished Punisher pieces – a wraparound cover circa 1985 (done right before the Punisher Limited series) and an unused 80’s portfolio plate

- The B&W art to the both covers to the Punisher Big Nothing graphic novel

- The original pencils to some of Mike’s most famous pieces including all six Kraven covers, the Captain America Annual #8 cover, the Captain America #321 cover, and the first Punisher poster

- Rarely seen art used done for Byron Preiss and Universal Studios featuring Thanos, the Silver Surfer, Galactus, the X-Men, and Spider-man and more

- Some incredible commissions including some rare “cheesecake” art by Mike – my favorite is a whimsical Aquaman pin-up (I won’t ruin the surprise)

Individual copies are $20/each + shipping. They are signed & numbered copies limited to 1,000. There are discounts for multiple copies (for 5 or more, they are only $12/each).

By the way, I'm always looking for Mike Zeck's Punisher Art. If you have the original artwork to any of the following, please contact me - no one will make you a better offer!

- Any of the Punisher Limited Series covers - B&W or Color

- Any of the Punisher Posters (e.g., the one with Punisher next to the Ammo boxes) - B&W or Color

- Any of the Original French Punisher Portfolio Plates

- Any pages from the Punisher Limited Series

- Most of the Marvel Tales covers (#209-222) featuring the Punisher

- What If #10 cover

- Nice pages from the Punisher Big Nothing Graphic Novel

By the way, if anyone has any speciic questions about Mike's art or what he's been up to, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Thanks,

-Chuck Costas (comiconxion@hotmail.com)

I first noticed his art reading Secret Wars, especially the panels where Captain America "gives orders that could command a god.... and in fact they do" (Pan to Thor smiling with a face full of self induced rain.) I mangled the quote but it was pretty good theater, Great stuff, those interior panels were pretty impressive and I never like the Secret Wars covers all that much (except for #10) - they always seemed a little cluttered.

For the guy who knows him,

Why did he drop out of the scene? His stuff was fantastic. Seems like he did a lot of random things but they were always great.

Why isn't he doing more mainstream stuff today? I'm surprised that Marvel or DC hasn't snapped him up. Would be perfect for the current Punisher series (though I do like Bradstreet at lot) or even another mini.

Pat

I first noticed his art reading Secret Wars, especially the panels where Captain America "gives orders that could command a god.... and in fact they do" (Pan to Thor smiling with a face full of self induced rain.) I mangled the quote but it was pretty good theater, Great stuff, those interior panels were pretty impressive and I never like the Secret Wars covers all that much (except for #10) - they always seemed a little cluttered.

Aren't you thinking of the final issue in Miller and Mazzuchelli's "Daredevil: Born Again"?

i met Mike once in 1989 , a great artist ,and most of all a great man ... it has been a real pleasure to discuss with him, and to look at him drawing "my" Punisher , the best Punisher 's artist and one of the most important on Cap...

fhow81y.jpg

Mike did this same profile for me in my hardcover of The Big nothing, nice work.