• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fao bollocks

122 posts in this topic

God Save the Queen!

"She was a girl from Birmingham..."

She just had an err, um, never mind.... crazy.gif

Well, as you know, she was a case of insanity. What was her name again?

Pauline, FWIW. The lyrics to that song still make me wince, even now...

God Save the Queen!

All these years I thought it was Polly Give It To Me Free. 27_laughing.gif

It's probably still my favorite Pistols song, if for no other reason than it was such a uniquely British song, particularly the denouement. You Brits and your class warfare are a disturbed lot. headbang.gif

God Save the Queen!

All these years I thought it was Polly Give It To Me Free. 27_laughing.gif

It's probably still my favorite Pistols song, if for no other reason than it was such a uniquely British song, particularly the denouement. You Brits and your class warfare are a disturbed lot. headbang.gif

You can say that again... 27_laughing.gif

pistols.jpg

They are the most overrated, craapy band in history. They couldn't even play their damned instruments. screwy.gif Just because a bunch of drug-addled happened to beat The Ramones by a year or two doesn't make them noteworthy. 27_laughing.gif

pistols.jpg

They are the most overrated, craapy band in history. They couldn't even play their damned instruments. screwy.gif Just because a bunch of drug-addled happened to beat The Ramones by a year or two doesn't make them noteworthy. 27_laughing.gif

I don't think they did? confused-smiley-013.gif

Weren't the Ramones playing CBGB's in '75?

pistols.jpg

Nah, I disagree - only Sid was drug addled and couldn't play his own instrument. The rest could play, and in the case of Steve Jones, rather well.

And The Ramones were around at more or less the same time as the Pistols.

God Save the Queen!

And then, who can ever forget Dury's classic Plaistow Patricia...

'Arseholes, bsatards, [embarrassing lack of self control] [embarrassing lack of self control] and [embarrassing lack of self control].'

Quality, guvnor!

pistols.jpg

I think the Sex Pistols formed under a different name before The Ramones, but both bands broke around the same time in late '75 and '76.

In any case, the Pistols suck.

God Save the Queen!

And then, who can ever forget Dury's classic Plaistow Patricia...

'Arseholes, bsatards, [embarrassing lack of self control] [embarrassing lack of self control] and [embarrassing lack of self control].'

Quality, guvnor!

cloud9.gif They don't write 'em like that any more....

I have to agree the Sex Pistols rocked there message Most people hate old school punk rock. You had to be part of the movement to really understand what they were doing It was very political. If it weren't for old scholl punk rock we wouldn't have what we have today.

This is true. The music may be gone, but the attitude remains...

Correct. I believe it was a tour of the UK by the Ramones in 75 or 76 that actually inspired a generation of Brits to play fast and furious 3-chord rock. But the thing that the Ramones and all American punk bands lacked, at the end of the day, was true passion. Not surprising, considering they were almost all spoiled white middle-class suburban kids.

So Andy (October, not Golddust), on all of the points in your post, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG!!! Even the part about not being able to play their instruments. Steve Jones and Glen Matlock could really play. Sid Vicious, however, was indeed just an iconic poseur.