• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

lost valley pedigree?
1 1

39 posts in this topic

From an old Scoop article:

The Lost Valley collection is an original owner collection discovered in the spring of 2003. It contains a wide array of the some of the most important comics from the Golden Age. Comprised of some 1,500 books, the collection is noted for its outstanding page quality and vibrant cover colors. The pedigree is recognized by CGC. Many of the books are the highest graded, 2nd highest graded or only graded copies.

Remember that the very early books in the Mile High Collection were not original owner copies so the Lost Valleys are in some cases better. The Lost Valley collection spans from the mid 1930s to the 1950s and included not only comics but also unread Big Little Books and other paper ephemera.

I can't seem to find a desription on the net anywhere...

Weird, Scoop usually shows up pretty high in searches like that and they've covered it a few times.

they referenced a few Lost valley sales, but I didn't see a description of the pedigree. Obviously I just didn't look hard enough wink.gif

I can't seem to find a desription on the net anywhere...

Weird, Scoop usually shows up pretty high in searches like that and they've covered it a few times.

they referenced a few Lost valley sales, but I didn't see a description of the pedigree. Obviously I just didn't look hard enough wink.gif

I have floating around somewhere a Lost Valley catalog. The collection was headlined by very high grade early stuff - things you just never see. Complete sets of Wow, What a Magazine 1-4, very early (single digit) Detectives, stuff like that. Al's pricing was exceptionally aggressive, but he sold most of the big ticket books very early on. I know its heresy, but I would argue that on the VERY early stuff, the Lost Valley collection is equal to or better to the Church books.

I have a bunch of Lost Valley books, they're quite nice.

Most of the books in the Lost Valley find were in the area of 8.0. I own a book from that collection and it's a stunner. That 3.0 book was an abberation... very few of them were low grade. Most of the best stuff sold early. The stuff you're seeing on Comiclink is simply the remainder. The good stuff was jumped on quickly.

And contrary to what has been said about this collection on the Boards, this collection is a true high-quality pedigree, original owner collection. How often do you find a set of high-grade Detective Comics #1 through #10?

Edited by paull

Two Balti-cons ago they had most of the King Comics, Ace Comics and other low value books unslabbed and at guide. Most in the 5.0 to 8.0 range, I bought the best one I could find - a King #24 in 8.5, kind of neat.

Two Balti-cons ago they had most of the King Comics, Ace Comics and other low value books unslabbed and at guide. Most in the 5.0 to 8.0 range, I bought the best one I could find - a King #24 in 8.5, kind of neat.

Yeah, I can see that -

82_4_0024.jpg

I remember receiving Al's catalog for the collection a few years ago. I was still wet behind the ears about GA and so I didn't jump out of my seat when I saw the books listed. Should have though! frustrated.gif Now I know.

By the way, I had never noticed that on those King covers, we have some strip cross-overs as Henry is interacting with Popeye. Kinda neat as Ed mentioned.

The 27 is beautiful but has a coupon cut out of the back cover. When I get home tonight I'll look for the catalog that has all of the grades. Al graded conservatively, if I remember correctly.

BTW, there's an interesting story about that 27 that I will regale people at a forum dinner.