• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
38 38

12,756 posts in this topic

Barry Windsor Smith/Bob Layton page from the Valiant Comics Alpha/Omega storyline that ran through the first 10 issues of Solar back when Valiant first started. Picked this up in New Orleans this past weekend from Bob Layton. Said he just found it going through a stack of older stuff. Awesome guy to talk with!

xgzFXjPU_1202142125391.jpg

Edited by COMICKINGS

Barry Windsor Smith/Bob Layton page from the Valiant Comics Alpha/Omega storyline that ran through the first 10 issues of Solar back when Valiant first started. Picked this up in New Orleans this past weekend from Bob Layton. Said he just found it going through a stack of older stuff. Awesome guy to talk with!

xgzFXjPU_1202142125391.jpg

WOW!! :headbang:

Finallly got around to making a small CAF gallery. http://www.comicartfans.com/gallerydetail.asp?gcat=91382 .

No lofty goals, just what I could throw together from titles and artists I currently enjoy and also ones I have enjoyed for quite some time. Apologies for the dark photos, no scanner at home so it will have to do for now. May get around to updating to scans in the future.

It's almost entirely self funded (except for two gifts), 40% courtesy of the blindingly obvious and 60% courtesy of the contributors to the Modern boards (regular or otherwise). It's certainly been a re-education so far. Really appreaciate what people share on here even if you sometimes have to wade through the fog to get at it. Not claiming to be some kind of savant flipper BTW... to get this far has been a few years of small potatoes whilst mostly doing my day job and family stuff. In the majority it has been good fun and enjoyable.

The OA boards and contributors have been a real boon too for all sorts of info when it comes to spending those funds.

:)

Happy collecting.

Hi all, while not new to the hobby, I do believe this will be my first time posting new acquisitions to this board. I've added 3 new pages to my collection, the latest of which arrived last night from Spain, Thanks Horacio!

First up, I'm thrilled to add a page from one of my favorite 80's books, Miracleman.This page by John Ridgway is from the 12 page "The Red King Syndrome" Prelude/Interlude story. In this carefully crafted tale by Alan Moore, the reader learns just how powerful Miracleman can be as his subconscious mind rearranges the molecules of his costume to redesign his chest emblem while he is asleep. It'a great page featuring Miracleman, Young Miracleman and Kid Miracleman, Johnny Bates, who hasn't yet turned into a bad seed.Now if only I can find Garry Leach and Alan Davis Miracleman pages at reasonable prices, it would be a miracle.

9hUoA1Se_0802141839261.jpg

Next up is a great 80's Gil Kane Green Arrow and Black Canary page from their back up feature in World's Finest Comics #282. I've seen a lot of Kane's 80's pages before and while I love the printed look, I've always passed on pages before because Gil did almost all of it in markers, which have almost always started to bleed or fade. But for this page I made an exception because of how memorable the story was to me.

In this two-part, back up story which ran in World's Finest Comics #282 & 283, writer Mike W. Barr reaches into Oliver Queen's past to for the mother of all villains: the mother of the guy GA shot and left for dead in an alley way back in 1973's Denny O'Neil & Neal Adams classic "The Killing of an Archer/Green Arrow's Dead/The Fate of an Archer" which was a 3 part back up in Flash #217-219.

In that classic tale, GA is attacked in an alley and after his shoulder is injured, the arrow he let's fly finds it's target but with unintended lethal action. Distraught over these events, Ollie calls BC to bid her farewell then flies of in the old Arrow Plane to shave his head and join a monastery. Then BC and GL are looking for GA, Dinah is hit by a car and needs a transfusion, only she has a rare blood type, which Ollie just happens to be a match, so now the search for GA is more urgent than ever. Obviously, Hal finds Ollie and fixes Dinah and live happily ever after, for a while.

I always thought that Barr's idea to bring the mother of the dead man into to the picture seeking revenge on Green Arrow was a cool idea and this page is chock full of action and has an appearance of Black Canary.

vzVFChXq_0802141752561.jpg

And last but not least, I'm proud to say that I now own the majority of my grail issue, Teen Titans #14 from 1968, having just added my 13th page out of a total 24 page story. Yes, my goal is to reassemble this issue before I kick the bucked, so if you have page from this issue or have a buddy who does, please let me know, even if the page isn't for sale. But if you have one and are looking to sell, please give me a shot to buy it or trade you for it. While the issue on Comics.org is credited as both Pencils and Inks by Nick Cardy, those with a keener eye than me have pointed out that the issue was probably just inked by Nick. Either way I love the issue, it's a childhood grail of mine. While some have suggested that the penciller is Lee Elias, I've never thought so, mainly because Elias is the credited penciller on issue #15 and it looks nothing like the previous issue to me. Frank Springer is a suggestion for penciller that I've heard a few times and seems to fit. If anyone knows anything definite, please let me know. If you come by to visit my Gallery rooms, you'll see the other page I have from this issue on display, "Requiem for a Titan!", or Robin gets his butt kicked as a solo player.

5I2QI5i4_0802141834331.jpg

Great minds think alike! Plus I had a great mentor! ;) All I need is a hulk for my small collection of Spiderman, Superman, Iron Man and Batman OA, then I will have OA from all of my favorite characters.

ASM 308, Micheline and McFarlane (signed by both):

Spiderman+308.jpg

Action Comics 201, pg.4, Plastino:

action201p4.jpg

Iron Man 258.2, Micheline, Ross and Layton (signed by all 3):

DSC05483.JPG

Batman 610, Lee and Williams (signed by Lee):

Batman+610.jpg

Edited by Captain Canuck

Great minds think alike! Plus I had a great mentor! ;) All I need is a hulk for my small collection of Spiderman, Superman, Iron Man and Batman OA, then I will have OA from all of my favorite characters.

ASM 308, Micheline and McFarlane (signed by both):

Spiderman+308.jpg

Action Comics 201, pg.4, Plastino:

action201p4.jpg

Iron Man 258.2, Micheline, Ross and Layton (signed by all 3):

DSC05483.JPG

Batman 610, Lee and Williams (signed by Lee):

Batman+610.jpg

Nice! Those are some beauties!