• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post Unpublished ART by any artist

21 posts in this topic

Nice thumbsup2.gif

Here's two Frank Hampson tryout dailies for MODESTY BLAISE - the first-ever MB artwork in existence (that pre-dates Jim Holdaway's published strips). Sadly, Hampson didn't land the gig, but his surviving dailies provide a tantalizing glimpse of what, "might have been" . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

iztk7a.jpg

izu6aq.jpg

Here's a cover prelim of Black Panther for an Avengers cover by J.G. Jones. It was turned down by Marvel. Jones said he did not know why, he thought it was a very strong "come at me and I will kick your butt" cover. I really dig this piece thumbsup2.gif

blackpantheravengerscoverpreli.jpg

I guess I still haven't mastered getting pictures to post with my text. My (Robert Plunkett) gallery at www.comicartfans.com link: http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=255 has, in its "Legends of Genre Art" gallery the "Censored Zatanna Page by Morrow". It was supposed to be part of the Zatanna one-shot. I wrote Morrow's widow, Pocho and got a volumnous reply about how editors kept interfering with her husband's work over the years.

Robert

Here's a cover prelim of Black Panther for an Avengers cover by J.G. Jones. It was turned down by Marvel. Jones said he did not know why, he thought it was a very strong "come at me and I will kick your butt" cover. I really dig this piece thumbsup2.gif

Oh, it could have been worse. How about this version that, rumour has it, MAD MAGAZINE turned down . . . grin.gif

j0dzmg.jpg

Oh, it could have been worse. How about this version that, rumour has it, MAD MAGAZINE turned down . . . grin.gif

j0dzmg.jpg

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I bought this unpublished prelim version of Planet Of The Apes cover from the artist (Derek Thompson) back in 2002.

1041728-PlanetOfTheApes_DerekThompson_prelim.JPG

Then, I got the following email from him the next month...

"hi david... the artwork, as of this week, is no longer 'unpublished'....it seems

dark horse printed it in the 'planet of the apes' trade paperback, along

with some other development artwork i did...thought you'd like to know!

derek"

shy.gif Sorry about the crappy framing job.

1041728-PlanetOfTheApes_DerekThompson_prelim.JPG.45455e53a2ad9743ade547a81a421e23.JPG