• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

V for Vendetta

35 posts in this topic

With all the talk of Dark Knight and Watchmen pages, I'm curious as to how other collectors rate V for Vendetta. I've always seen it as a more `mature` work by Moore despite being eclipsed by Watchmen and assumed that as time went on it would be `rediscovered` and gain a new lease of life. The earlier black and white original pages look great uncoloured but they rarely surface and imo are harder to find than Watchmen pages.

Do people care about the series and where are all the pages? The same shop in London that sold the Watchmen pages also sold most of the V pages so they must be out there somewhere...

Joseph

Personally, I like V better than WATCHMEN from the standpoint of both art and story. I realize I'm in the minority here. I think V's relative popularity was hurt by coming after WATCHMEN in the US. Fans will always consider it the "little brother" of WATCHMEN.

With all the talk of Dark Knight and Watchmen pages, I'm curious as to how other collectors rate V for Vendetta. I've always seen it as a more `mature` work by Moore despite being eclipsed by Watchmen and assumed that as time went on it would be `rediscovered` and gain a new lease of life. The earlier black and white original pages look great uncoloured but they rarely surface and imo are harder to find than Watchmen pages.

Do people care about the series and where are all the pages? The same shop in London that sold the Watchmen pages also sold most of the V pages so they must be out there somewhere...

Joseph

On my ocassional trips to London during the late 1980s/early 1990s, Paul Hudson's shop on Neal Street, COMIC SHOWCASE, always had V FOR VENDETTA originals up for sale. Can't remember the exact prices, but they were under £100 a page. Nice artwork, but my interests lay elsewhere.

It's (arguably) a better series, and you are correct in saying that the B&W artwork by Lloyd is glorious. Perhaps it's a little "British" for transatlantic tastes? I think I've seen 2-3 pages max surface each year, though I met a dodgy geezer at the last Bristol Con who had about 4 tucked away in his portfolio, so they are out there...

Joseph

Hey Joseph,

Really great to see you on the boards!

I've always liked V, although I only first read it about five years ago. Because of the initial publication in Britain in 1982, curtailed by the end to Warrior Magazine, V never got the attention it deserved. It was not picked up by Eclipse, like Marvelman (Miracleman) was. I too agree that it was hurt by the fact it came out (in the US) several years after Watchmen. In fact, it is probably because of Watchmen that Alan took six years to complete the V story arc, which finally saw print as a full story in 1988! Add to this the fact that V is, in essence, a political commentary and, as such, not really a children's book! Watchmen is also a political commentary, but not quite as obvious or as complex politically. Watchmen can be enjoyed on a rudimentary level, even if you don't "get" the underlying meaning, whereas V cannot. Thus, we all loved Watchmen as a teen, then appreciated its further, deeper meanings as we grew older and re-read it. V is probably not fully understood until you're older and have some idea about politics and the threats of big government.

The movie is bringing wider attention to the book, and many comic fans will finally pick it up and appreciate it as perhaps Alan's best work (a difficult choice, to be sure!). Despite Alan viewing his early work as "raw", I think it's all the 'moore' powerful for that very reason.

Hari, just wanted to compliment you on your website and original art. I found myself shaking my head at every piece and saying "Holy s**t!" a lot! 27_laughing.gif

I bow down to the greatness that is your collection! hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Thanks for the compliments. It was lovingly hand-picked slowly over the last 6-7 years.

Best,

Hari, just wanted to compliment you on your website and original art. I found myself shaking my head at every piece and saying "Holy s**t!" a lot! 27_laughing.gif

Thanks for the compliments. It was lovingly hand-picked slowly over the last 6-7 years.

Best,

LOVE the Edward Gorey art. I have been a fan of his since I was 10 years old, having also loved the John Bellairs books his art often graced. The opening to "Mystery!" is fantastic as well. Is his art hard to come by?

Best,

LOVE the Edward Gorey art. I have been a fan of his since I was 10 years old, having also loved the John Bellairs books his art often graced. The opening to "Mystery!" is fantastic as well. Is his art hard to come by?

Hi,

My wife and I are both fans of Gorey, although I must admit she's the one who introduced me to his work! We are always on the look-out for more art by him, especially ones that are more macabre. Every once in a while, something pops up on ebay, but usually isn't very nice. Gotham Book Mart used to have a bunch of originals, but no longer. The market is strong, though, with prices typically 2K to over 10K depending on content and vintage, published or unpublished, etc. If you email me privately, I'll tell you what I paid for the three that I have.

Best,

Joseph

Hi Joseph,

I thought I'd revive this thread, due to my latest OA acquisition. I was fortunate enough to finally get this piece from another collector. This is the very first appearance of V from the V for Vendetta series. It is page #3 from issue #1, and features Evey getting rescued by V, as he makes his entrance. First published in 1982 in Warrior Magazine #1, and then in the US in 1988 as the V for Vendetta graphic novel. This scene is actually depicted in the trailer for the upcoming movie, which I'm anxiously awaiting!

Special thanks to Stuart Neft for letting it go!

Without further ado.....

firstv.jpg

Hi Joseph,

I thought I'd revive this thread, due to my latest OA acquisition. I was fortunate enough to finally get this piece from another collector. This is the very first appearance of V from the V for Vendetta series. It is page #3 from issue #1, and features Evey getting rescued by V, as he makes his entrance. First published in 1982 in Warrior Magazine #1, and then in the US in 1988 as the V for Vendetta graphic novel. This scene is actually depicted in the trailer for the upcoming movie, which I'm anxiously awaiting!

Without further ado.....

firstv.jpg

Hey Hari

Verrry nice pickup. Such a significant page too. Big congratulations I think. I did think it was only a matter of time till you picked up a V page.

Is this why you were being so laid back about that last ebay page? wink.gif

You shoulda told me when you were over; I have the PMT production pages for the preceding 2 pages which came from David Lloyd. In the intervening years between the Warrior publication and the DC republication, Lloyd had hung onto all original the pages awaiting the time when he could finish the story with the exception I believe of those 2 pages.

Laters

joseph

Hi Joseph,

Without further ado.....

firstv.jpg

Hey Hari

Verrry nice pickup. Such a significant page too. Big congratulations I think. I did think it was only a matter of time till you picked up a V page.

Is this why you were being so laid back about that last ebay page? wink.gif

You shoulda told me when you were over; I have the PMT production pages for the preceding 2 pages which came from David Lloyd. In the intervening years between the Warrior publication and the DC republication, Lloyd had hung onto all original the pages awaiting the time when he could finish the story with the exception I believe of those 2 pages.

Laters

joseph

Hi Joseph,

Yeah, I already had this deal set up when the ebay page appeared. I was watching to see where it ended at, though. Pages from this series certainly have picked up to the level of nice Watchmen pages, partly with the upcoming movie hype but also partly due to more people discovering and liking the story.

What does PMT stand for (production pages?). I assume that means a photostat of some sort?

What does PMT stand for (production pages?). I assume that means a photostat of some sort?

Photo Mechanical Transfer. Nice high quality stats. Glossy sort of photographic paper. Nice to have but clearly not as nice as the originals themselves!

joseph

Superb page, Hari. I would expect no less frm you, acquiring not only an asthetically pleasing page, but also an historically significant one as well! Reading V just the other day, I was wondering where those first few pages with V appearing for the first time were. So pleased to see this one in your hands...

Superb page, Hari. I would expect no less frm you, acquiring not only an asthetically pleasing page, but also an historically significant one as well! Reading V just the other day, I was wondering where those first few pages with V appearing for the first time were. So pleased to see this one in your hands...

Hi,

Actually, this comment really means a lot to me. So, thank you!