• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reverse Auction: $5,000 - C'mon, lets get serious!!!

50 posts in this topic

1999 Ford Windstar SE, auto everything. Power doors, etc etc. 80,000 miles

Looks like this.

100_1423a.jpg

Perfect for hauling kids, dogs, or 55 long boxes (yep, 55!)

Yes, that is a joke, er, comic(al). poke2.gif

And, yes, it does haul long boxes very well. thumbsup2.gif

Looks like this.

100_1423a.jpg

Yes, that is a joke, er, comic(al). poke2.gif

And, yes, it does haul long boxes very well. thumbsup2.gif

Who's joking? Van's for sale.

Looks like this.

100_1423a.jpg

Not certified. sumo.gif

I used $6000 to put down on my home last year, which has gone up $80,000. What $6000 comic has that kind of return?

Let see, you bought a $XXX,000 house with $6000 down and it appreciated $80,000. This means your equity appreciated $1300% but not the house itself. This is the allure of leverage but it works in both directions. As fun as it is on the way up, it is disasterously painful on the way down. While I'm not here to debate the housing bubble, lets just say that I wouldn't bank on the $80k and borrow more to buy Donuts minivan.

I used $6000 to put down on my home last year, which has gone up $80,000. What $6000 comic has that kind of return?

Let see, you bought a $XXX,000 house with $6000 down and it appreciated $80,000. This means your equity appreciated $1300% but not the house itself. This is the allure of leverage but it works in both directions. As fun as it is on the way up, it is disasterously painful on the way down. While I'm not here to debate the housing bubble, lets just say that I wouldn't bank on the $80k and borrow more to buy Donuts minivan.

Oh sure, but I'm arguing that the $6000 wouldn't be better spent on a comic (for the "comic as an investment" apologists).

Oh sure, but I'm arguing that the $6000 wouldn't be better spent on a comic (for the "comic as an investment" apologists).

I think most (I say most because you never know) people that can spend $6,000 on a comic book know that it's not the best investment, but are buying it for the enjoyment of adding it to their collection. If they are buying it only as an investment then they're f%$king stupid.

Well, not always. It depends on what they're paying for. If they're paying $6,000 for a $6,000 comic, that's not wise. If they're paying $6,000 for a $15,000 book, that's wise.

Well, not always. It depends on what they're paying for. If they're paying $6,000 for a $6,000 comic, that's not wise. If they're paying $6,000 for a $15,000 book, that's wise.

Sure, but I don't see that as an "investment". I see that as a "flip". When I think investment I'm thinking of buying something and keeping it for a while (maybe a year or more) in the hope that it will gain value. Buying anything for $6,000 that can be sold the next day for $15,000 is a no brainer that only an insufficiently_thoughtful_person (or someone without the capitol) would pass up.

What is this monkey spam $25, $50 and $100 reverse auctions!! C'mon people, we are real men (and women) here. Let's get serious.

I have this marked for $5,200. I'll reduce it to $5,000.

Funny what some consider "getting serious". insane.gif

Even funnier...is the sales pitch. Slam the low brows...then tell them to "be a man" & drop $5000 on a MAD book. screwy.gif

Hey Rob,

I use to live in Phoenix (actually Tempe) . I put $2500 down on my house! thumbsup2.gif Now I live in Silicon Valley so down was $80k 893whatthe.gif

Ouch, that's why I won't move to Silicon Valley (I work for Intel). I can't imagine the payments on an $800,000 home. I have enough trouble buying comics while paying for a $200,000 home. Not sure how you do it.