• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looking for tips on how to "Make an Offer"

30 posts in this topic

I finally got ahold of the rep for an artist I'm interested in. He suggested that I go through the books she's worked on, make a list of pages/covers I'm interested in, and make an offer on her OA. I'm a little hesitant now. All the pages I've purchased so far have come from the artist. And in those instances, he set the price and I was okay with each one so I made the transaction.

So how does one go about making an offer? How do I know if it's a realistic price that's not a slap in the face for him, but isn't too high for me?

[i'd like to hear general suggestions on this topic, but since I'm looking to buy Adriana Melo art, I'm also interested in specifics if you have them.] shy.gif

I really hate this make an offer stuff. I mean really, the seller knows what is an acceptable amount to them to sell. This avoids the whole issue of an offer being a slap in the face or too high.

Usually if someone says to make an offer I let them know to tell me what they want to sell the piece for and barring that then I don't even bother.

Absolutely make the rep tell you the price. At least make him give you a range. You might want to tell him how much you paid for pages in the past to set his expectations.

Are you suggesting I say, "Tell me the price on this piece."

Or are you suggesting I say, "Give me a price range for other pieces you've sold."

Or are you suggesting, "In the past, I've paid $100 for interior pieces."

I friggin hate this system. When people are wanting you to make an offer, they are trying to see the most you will give, regardless of what they want. I almost always ask what range they want, and if they don't reply with it, I won't go anyu further.

I finally got ahold of the rep for an artist I'm interested in. He suggested that I go through the books she's worked on, make a list of pages/covers I'm interested in, and make an offer on her OA. I'm a little hesitant now. All the pages I've purchased so far have come from the artist. And in those instances, he set the price and I was okay with each one so I made the transaction.

So how does one go about making an offer? How do I know if it's a realistic price that's not a slap in the face for him, but isn't too high for me?

[i'd like to hear general suggestions on this topic, but since I'm looking to buy Adriana Melo art, I'm also interested in specifics if you have them.] shy.gif

The whole "make an offer" thing is based on a number of issues. It's not just a matter of the seller wanting to make the most off the transaction. Sometimes, they are also testing the waters to see what the demand is; in other words, they may really have little idea as to what it is worth on the open market. The seller, in that case, should do some research: find out what comparable pieces have sold for. If no other pieces from that issue/storyline have sold, then find out what the artists pieces have sold for in other storylines/issues. Is the one for sale a better page/storyline, or not? Was it a popular series, character, time? The other time people say "make an offer" is when they really have little intention of selling it. I must admit I do this from time to time, but usually when someone comes after me for something in my collection. It's up to them to make an offer, because the item really isn't for sale. In these situations, the offer needs to be above and beyond market value.

So, anyway, just saying that it's not a simple answer. There are multiple reasons why this tactic is utilized. Not everyone is neck-deep in the market and can put a value on a piece of art. In fact, it's a very difficult skill to acquire (there's no price guide, after all!). And, it takes a lot of networking, and tracking auctions, etc.

If a seller won't put a price on an item, do your own research and figure out market value. Then increase it because you're asking them to sell it. Then, put another premium on it IF you really want it. In some cases, the final amount is market value or just over. In other cases, such as a Grail item, you may offer double market value. It's then up to the seller to counter-offer or refuse.

Sure, it'd be nice if everything had a price tag. But, that's not going to happen in a hobby as difficult to price/gauge as comic art.

Are you suggesting I say, "Tell me the price on this piece." Yes

Or are you suggesting I say, "Give me a price range for other pieces you've sold." Yes

Or are you suggesting, "In the past, I've paid $100 for interior pieces." Yes

I would play it something like this, "Give me a range you want for the lot. I've paid $100 for interior pages in the past so I would think your price would be in that ballpark."

Let me change up my topic a bit. I think we've clarified what happens when you get a "make me an offer" exchange, but what about set prices? How set are they? If, for example, I see a rep online stating the selling price as $350. Does that mean he'll only take that, or is there negotiation involved? If so, how much lower is realistic? [i know it depends on the artist and the art, but bear with me here...]

Let me change up my topic a bit. I think we've clarified what happens when you get a "make me an offer" exchange, but what about set prices? How set are they? If, for example, I see a rep online stating the selling price as $350. Does that mean he'll only take that, or is there negotiation involved? If so, how much lower is realistic? [i know it depends on the artist and the art, but bear with me here...]

That is going to vary from dealer to dealer. It never hurts to make a lower offer though, the worst that can happen is they say no and you pay the stated price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've had excellent dealings with Jim Warden at www.whatashock.com and offering slightly less than what he had the art posted at. He's accepted my offers both times I ordered some pages from him.

I know some other dealers that are firm too. It never hurts to try and save a couple of bucks. I'd be more apt to re-order through the same rep if I felt like I got some sort of a deal which benefits both of us.

That is going to vary from dealer to dealer. It never hurts to make a lower offer though, the worst that can happen is they say no and you pay the stated price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Agreed. There is almost always room for negotiation. The higher the price, the more room! In general, I'd say you can safely start at 20% below the price. But, many dealers will have already marked up their items past market value. Really, the best option is to know the market yourself, and make an offer commensurate with that. If you rely only on seller price tags, that's always going to be an inflated view of market value. Some items stay on dealer's websites for months to years because they are way overpriced.

Are there any dealers you guys know of that are typically unresponsive to this type of thing?

Spencer Beck at http://www.theartistschoice.com/ is firm. I've never dealt with him but my brother made an offer on something after he had just spent several hundred with him and he replied that his prices were firm. My brother spent the money elsewhere.

Spencer is more of a "artist rep." than dealer, so I am guessing any discount would just cut into his percentage, which as a rep, can't me to much.

Plus if it doesn't sell, then it still isn't "his" inventory.

Jim Warden - A+ Guy. Best dealer I have dealt with thus far.

Bechara is not cheap, but nice & nice stuff too!

Albert Moy - Efficient & Fast.

Tom Horvitz - A+!

Personally, I have found that most dealers are willing to move a little on the posted price. It never hurts to make a reasonable offer in my opinion (maybe 10-20% off). All that the dealer can do is say no and then you still have the option to buy it at the posted price. I would much rather deal directly with the artist myself. I think that you will always get a better price that way since there is no mark up involved.

I bought the cover to Thor #55 from Spencer Beck and he did come off the posted price slightly. However, he replied to me that Scott Hanna had accepted the offer. So, I would think that it depends on the individual artist that he is representing. Just my two cents. laugh.gif

Thor_55_Cover.jpg

Agreed. There is almost always room for negotiation. The higher the price, the more room! In general, I'd say you can safely start at 20% below the price. But, many dealers will have already marked up their items past market value. Really, the best option is to know the market yourself, and make an offer commensurate with that. If you rely only on seller price tags, that's always going to be an inflated view of market value. Some items stay on dealer's websites for months to years because they are way overpriced.

Hey Hari,

" Really, the best option is to know the market yourself, and make an offer commensurate with that." - for the new blood in the OA space, how do you recommend doing that??