• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Worst comic artists ever?

92 posts in this topic

Of any era..this is entirely subjective according to your own biases but I _HATE_ Liefeld's work with a passion. He kickstarted the atrocious new era of modern comics that spanned well into the mid 90's. He may not be the aesthetically "worst" artist ever but just the genericness and lifelessness of his characters had a negative impact on comicdom as a whole. He set the comic world backwards into a spiraling substanceless, storyless, gimmick cover nightmare that we are just recovering from.

Todd McFarlane ranks high up there as well. I usually mention his name in the same sentence with Liefeld because they both stood for similar things. Todd is just an arrogant businessman and his art was always overrated.

Grrr..just had to rant about something i'm in that sort of mood today. 893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

The first artist that came to my mind was also Liefeld.

(If possible, it would be cool if posts showed an example of the "bad art"...

but unfortunately, I don't have any readily available for this post.)

Also, that website that shows where complete panels and pages have been

completely ripped off would probably give us some well-deserving "worst artist"

candidates.

Romita Jr and Ramos on current Spidey titles...really bad...I didn't have this aversion to their past work just this [!@#%^&^] now.

Stinkiewicz - not into that [!@#%^&^] - reminds me of Maleev's art (or vice versa) - just not a fan of that style.

We all have our likes and dislikes. I happen to like Liefield and McFarlane's work - maybe not what they "stood for" but their art was pleasant at times...maybe it wasn't anatomically representative of the norm but still something there to appreciate IMO.

Now keep in mind that my choices sometimes have a lot to do with era, as I loved Kirby's 60's work, but hated his 70's stuff.

Frank Springer - 70's

Jack Kirby - 70's

Arvell Jones - Anytime

George Tuska - 70's

Herb Trimpe - 70's

Jae Lee - Anytime

But out of them all, I'd have to select Al Milgrom as the worst artist ever, bar none, undisputed champion.

See, and for years I've name Sienkiewicz as one of my favorites, now behind Maleev.

Al Milgrom is pretty rank. I wondered whatever happened to him after his days on PPSSM...until I picked up a copy of Archie on Free Comic Book Day...

[EDIT: Interesting that me and JC named him at almost the same moment!]

The artist for the first issues of Elektra is poor.

Believe it or not, I've always had an aversion to Frank Miller's work, although his "Elektra Lives" hardcover is GORGEOUS art.

Fred Hembeck.

I don't like goofy art like the big-headed goobers in Spider Man: Tangled Web (or whatever that is with the skinny body and bobblehead), or in the Hulk/Wolverine ltd. series right now.

But out of them all, I'd have to select Al Milgrom as the worst artist ever, bar none, undisputed champion.

im with you on that all-time worst too CI, 2nd would be jim aparo for DC. stooges.gif

Now keep in mind that my choices sometimes have a lot to do with era, as I loved Kirby's 60's work, but hated his 70's stuff.

Frank Springer - 70's

Jack Kirby - 70's

Arvell Jones - Anytime

George Tuska - 70's

Herb Trimpe - 70's

Jae Lee - Anytime

Frank Springer was pretty lame, but are you confusing him with Frank Robbins (Invaders) like I used to? I think Robbins is the worst of the "Franks". Miller gave Springer some props in a collected PPSS 27 & 28 book... I bet that was tough, as well as having him Ink his first DD's. Janson just fit Miller's style perfectly. If Miller or Janson wasn't inking Miller's pencils... it was hard for me to enjoy.

Realistically, Herb Trimpe's work is not great at all (poor anatomy.. a Gil Kane he will never be), BUT I kind of like it on the old Hulks, maybe because I grew up with it and was less critical then. I can't imagine a "Trimpeless Hulk"

Al Milrgrom was bad, but Al Milgrom Inking Al Milgrom is the worst of the worst... especially when he was trying to be Miller.

Similar to how many feel about Kirby, "loved the old stuff, but hated the later stuff"... i feel the same way about Ditkos later work.

For me it has to be Todd McFarlane. I just hate his spidey covers. Could never understand what people saw in him.

The secret to Todd's fandom appeal is this: he draws lots and lots of stuff in his art. Seriously--it's that simple. It's not actually that GOOD (poor life drawing skills, for example), but every scrap is filled with tiny details, even where none are needed: cross-hatching, squiggles, dots, etc. It's impressive to the eye, and meticulous illustrators often find that viewers are "wowed!" more by the cluttered assemblage of pen marks than by the overall artistic skill itself.

Having said that, attention to detail is precisely one of the reasons why I really LIKE Ernie Chan's inks over Buscema's pencils on Savage Sword. I always thought Chan was under-rated, even if he was constrained by the formulaic techniques Buscema uses (every female form identical, every male face having the same David Hasselhoff eyes/brow and primate lower lip/chin shadow, etc.).