• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whatever Happened To PCS?

98 posts in this topic

Paper Collectibles Services

" We acknowledge that the limited availability of information has created false perceptions about our businesses and operations. This was not a deliberate measure, but a reflection upon the lengthy and involved development process of Paper Collectibles Services. As we finalize preparations for its official launch, we are able to make more information available. In addition to describing the proposed label changes, next week we will also be releasing more information about PCS’ services and responding to your related questions."

Was any more information ever released? If so, can someone post a link to it. If not, why not? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well, from Borock's earlier reply, PCS is a hush-hush, invite-only kind of *company*, so I doubt any of us would ever hear about it anyway.

Another secret cabal of large dealers, cleaning and pressing their books to glory.

Well, from Borock's earlier reply, PCS is a hush-hush, invite-only kind of *company*, so I doubt any of us would ever hear about it anyway.

Another secret cabal of large dealers, cleaning and pressing their books to glory.

Don't you mean "realizing their full potential"? I'm beyond disgusted with this hobby at this point.

Well if the cone of silence disclaimer that people had to sign is true and Borock was found to be a director of the company only to later deny saying that it was a mistake, then you can form your own opinion as to why it is so hush-hush. Has anyone pulled another corporate search to confirm that Borock was removed as they promised?

but thanks to pedigrees new service,all you little guys can take advantage of it as well.Simply send him your raw comics and he'll see them thru the process of being slabbed at their highest potential.

A pox on all their houses.

but thanks to pedigrees new service,all you little guys can take advantage of it as well.Simply send him your raw comics and he'll see them thru the process of being slabbed at their highest potential.

A pox on all their houses.

893whatthe.gif

When did this happen? A joke, right? confused-smiley-013.gif

PCS has been in business for some time now.

It's invite only and you have to sign disclaimers to the effect that you won't say anything to anybody.

FACT

So they know there is resistance to their pressing and yet they go forward with it....silently. What a crop of 893censored-thumb.gif!

See the latest issue of CBG.

Seriously?

Christonabike....hasn't the man made sufficient of a killing through other questionable means without having to resort to the wholesale destruction of comics?

"Wholesale destruction of comics"? I know the non-disclosure issue is a serious one, but does anyone think that using a tacking iron to flatten out a subtle edge or corner bend amounts to the "wholesale destruction of comics"? I've done the same thing with my finger on a ton of books over the years, and I'm sure so have all of you.

I've done the same thing with my finger...

You must have one crazy-strong, heater-like, moisture-exuding finger then buddy. screwy.gif

Don't be obtuse, Vince. You know that for many books, you need neither heat nor moisture to flatten out a slight bend. You can lick your finger to moisten it slightly and press down on a slightly bent edge or corner for about a minute and get rid of a bend very easily. The only difference between using your finger (which gives off body heat) and using a tacking iron (which is warmer, but doesn't use moisture) is one of degree. Pretend all you want that you've never flattened out a bend with your finger, but no one will believe you. Everyone has done that at one time or another.

Then riddle me this:

Why in the world would you a) spend the money on the press & the other equipment, and b) set up your entire business around clean and pressing and other undisclosed resto, if all you need is a wet finger?

I think we both know the answer to that question, and that PCS is doing FAR MORE than just "flattening a corner" here and there.

See the latest issue of CBG.

Seriously?

Christonabike....hasn't the man made sufficient of a killing through other questionable means without having to resort to the wholesale destruction of comics?

I no longer have a copy. To be fair,what it said was that Pedigree is now accepting raw books that he will submit for slabbing.It doesn't mention PCS,but thats

the first thing I thought of when I read the ad. But I'm not exactly unbiased against people who rip off old ladies and forget they own questionable books.

BTW-I believe your "wholesale destruction of comics" is a bit over the top.As is FFBs pooh-poohing the work they do. The truth seems someplace in between.

BTW-I believe your "wholesale destruction of comics" is a bit over the top.As is FFBs pooh-poohing the work they do. The truth seems someplace in between.

Spoil-sport. tongue.gif

OK, somewhere between 'wholesale destruction' and 'he's only using his (obviously pedigreed) finger'.

Then riddle me this:

Why in the world would you a) spend the money on the press & the other equipment, and b) set up your entire business around clean and pressing and other undisclosed resto, if all you need is a wet finger?

I think we both know the answer to that question, and that PCS is doing FAR MORE than just "flattening a corner" here and there.

great points. JC. Ive bent back creased corners on my books whenever I spot them, but the crease is still there. And it's turning a blind eye to the issue by equating a wet finger trick to sending books to a restorer to increase their value. I fail to to see how anybody can think so.

"Wholesale destruction of comics"? I know the non-disclosure issue is a serious one, but does anyone think that using a tacking iron to flatten out a subtle edge or corner bend amounts to the "wholesale destruction of comics"? I've done the same thing with my finger on a ton of books over the years, and I'm sure so have all of you.

I'm just curious what the "rules of the game" are for back issue comic collecting. Whatever they are, just put it out there and let people decide. If PCS is an invitation-only BSD service where non-disclosure agreements are signed to participate, then officially announce that. So everyone is up to speed about today's marketplace.

If PCS services are so far outside the mainstream of most collecting preferences that it's been decided to keep it underground with legal "never disclose" contracts, that is troubling. It means one of the "rules of the game" is not on the table by choice , hidden from view, to the finacial advantage of a small minority of total participants.