• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scam or is somebody just mistaken here?

72 posts in this topic

So explain where all the fraudulent auctions are? Should everyone be listing the book as a :

Marvel Collectible Classics #1

That's it. That's what the book actually is (check the indicia or OS), and it's no more an ASM 300 Variant, than a Marvel Tales reprint copy is.

And personally speaking, I have NEVER seen a CGC 9.8 copy marketed as anything other than a fraudulent "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant" or similar.

It's not different than those jokers selling the Spider-man 2 free movie preview ccomic as an "Amazing Spider-man 129" - CGC even received many of these for submission, and the owners thought they were real.

Trust me, there are some very stupid people out there who actually believe they're buying a real ASM 300 variant, rather than a "Collectible Classics" reprint. Some have even come on here, and were very disappointed when they learned the truth,

And yes, these newbs are artificially inflating the value and would never have bid otherwise.

I picked up the ASM 300 Chromium when it came out and i love it. It only cost me like $8 to get through Previews. I don't care if you call it MCC or ASM 300 C. It's a reprint but then it seems the old method of a 1st print being more desirable than a reprint no long applies. Go look at my thread in Modern.

Furthermore why does the Spider-Man Gold Cover with the UPC sell for hundreads? It's a reprint and it's ugly. It only does so because it's so rare.

the 3,000 copy print-run is what gets people excited, even if 10 years after the original.

too many 9.4s of #300 floating around, but people would like to own this book (unlike so many other comics with 3000 copy print-runs)

personally, i think it's silly, but who am i to judge? maybe if mcfarlane had added some extra goodies to this edition it might make sense (I think it's smart that Marvel, as of late, has been doing reprint books with SOME new content, even if only a short story. I haven't bought them, of course....)

Previous Thread

While I have no doubts that some of the bidders/buyers of these don't realize exactly what it is, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there are also many who do know. It would be interesting to know what the proportion of each is, but that is not something we will ever know.

It may be a reprint, but there are 100x more copies of ASM 300 out there than there are copies of these.

I don't care if you call it MCC or ASM 300 C.

You know, I just prefer to call it by its ACTUAL title, not something made-up and fraudulent. It's weird thing about me, sticking to the facts.

Would you think it was perfectly alright for me to start selling Marvel Tales 105 copies as "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 129 RARE VARIENT!!" on EBay? How about those free SM2 movie issues as the same?

Here's a hint, if you ever want to know the real title of a comic, open it to the first page and write down what the indicia states. You go do that with your copy and tell us what it says.

the 3,000 copy print-run is what gets people excited, even if 10 years after the original.

How do you know this, did you poll all the buyers?

I know for a fact that we've had several newb buyer come on here, and post a "Collectible Classics #1" CGC 9.8 and start asking why it looks different than ASM 300, when it was printed, and what exactly it is.

And let me tell, you when the words "reprint" and "printed in the late-90's" come up, these guys were NOT happy at all, and felt ripped off. I would too, if I thought I was buying an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Variant". foreheadslap.gif

It may be a reprint, but there are 100x more copies of ASM 300 out there than there are copies of these.

And there are probably tons more NM copies of ASM 129 than Marvel Tales 105, but who cares? It's a worthless reprint produced a deacde later, that is until someone starts fraudulently listing it as a "Rare ASM 129 VARIENT!!". 27_laughing.gif

Joe, in reference to the MCC listing, it is called selling the book. I am really sorry if you can't get over the fact that these sell on ebay. I have shown you that the majority of those sold do not list it as a variant. I have shown you that indeed there is a copy listed right now as a Marvel Collectible Classic. This person (gasp) obviously wants to sell his book so he lists ASM #300 which it reprints. Is he being deceitful?

I know it is not a variant, you know it is not. Other than that there is not much I can do.

Why is it desireable at these prices? I believe it to be because it is a reprint of a special issue, chrome cover, limited through a mail-order/internet company and it is Todd McFarlane. It also features Venom.

If you are interested in a wager of any type, lets see how many from today on are listed as variants in the title and how many are not. Your allegations of rampant variant listings are unfounded. I have given you concrete proof, take a look, that 1 copy is being listed as a variant.

1 copy.

Your allegations of rampant variant listings are unfounded.

Stay here a while Sonny, and stop trying to reverse history. People have been selling these as "ASM 300 Chromium Variants" for years now.

JJ I just researched the issue of how the book is sold on ebay. Presently and in the past two weeks this particular book has been listed as "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM" or AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM VARIANT" a total of 11 times. It has been listed as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 (the correct overstreet reference) only 1 time. It would seem to me that the titling the auction ASM 300 Chromium would imply that the book is Amazing Spider-Man #300 in a Chromium cover which it is not. Nor do any of the 11 auctions with this title mention REPRINT anywhere in the title either.

Taking this evidence at face value, it would appear that people selling it aren't willing to list it by its actual title and issue because quite honestly it wouldn't sell. Now "Amazing Spider-Man #300 CHROMIUM cover First Venom ", that would make the dumbstick(qqv. Ally McBeal character "Ling" reference here) ebayers salivate and froth at the mouth.

Also I think it would be interesting to note that 3 copies have sold: 2 CGC @ $280 & $315 and 1 raw for $90.

Again, while I'm not going to question what is the "successful" way to market this book, I would reiterate that the ethical and fair way to sell this book would be as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 just as the X-Men reprints are sold.

Your allegations of rampant variant listings are unfounded.

Stay here a while Sonny, and stop trying to reverse history. People have been selling these as "ASM 300 Chromium Variants" for years now.

I guess that makes you Cher?

screwy.gif

This book is very very limited. It is stunning to look at if you own one. For the ASM 300 fan and there are lots of us it is a must own. Joe I thought you were more enlightened about this book.

The other two to own are the Spider-man 1 and the X-men 25. xxxx

JJ I just researched the issue of how the book is sold on ebay. Presently and in the past two weeks this particular book has been listed as "AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM" or AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 300 CHROMIUM VARIANT" a total of 11 times. It has been listed as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 (the correct overstreet reference) only 1 time. It would seem to me that the titling the auction ASM 300 Chromium would imply that the book is Amazing Spider-Man #300 in a Chromium cover which it is not. Nor do any of the 11 auctions with this title mention REPRINT anywhere in the title either.

Taking this evidence at face value, it would appear that people selling it aren't willing to list it by its actual title and issue because quite honestly it wouldn't sell. Now "Amazing Spider-Man #300 CHROMIUM cover First Venom ", that would make the dumbstick(qqv. Ally McBeal character "Ling" reference here) ebayers salivate and froth at the mouth.

Also I think it would be interesting to note that 3 copies have sold: 2 CGC @ $280 & $315 and 1 raw for $90.

Again, while I'm not going to question what is the "successful" way to market this book, I would reiterate that the ethical and fair way to sell this book would be as Marvel Collectible Classics: Spider-Man 1 just as the X-Men reprints are sold.

Finally someone I can talk to that at least listens...

Yes, it would be nice to see everyone sell this book this way. I think Wizard has created that problem more than any of us. They clearly list the book incorrectly. I am sure when people (and there are obviously many that read Wizard) see this book, they type in the search engine 'Spiderman Chrome or Spiderman Chromium'.

My whole point is that yes, I agree it is a reprint. It is sad that a small percentage of people have sold this book as a variant. While I do feel bad, I would hope that people would think like all of us on the board and research before an impulse buy. Although at the prices I have witnessed over the past year, no one is walking away buying a lemon. confused-smiley-013.gif

The only reason that I can see someone listing it as Amazing Spiderman Chromium #300 CGC 9.8 (etc) is that listing it as: Marvel Collectible Classics Amazing Spiderman #300 Chromium CGC 9.8 would be to much for the ebay title? Just as listing Marvel Collectible Classics X-Men #1 Chromium fits within the title...but that is totally a guess, as I am not selling confused-smiley-013.gif

over $200 for a 9.8??????? the book is only worth $10 in 9.2 that really doesn't make any sense to me. confused-smiley-013.gif

A ton of those auctions were fraudulently listed as "ASM 300 Chromium Variant" or similar, fooling the EBay insufficiently_thoughtful_persons into thinking it was a variant of the actual ASM 300 run. when it's really a Modern "Collectible Classics" reprint, produced a decade or more after the fact.

So, just like the $100 people are paying for a "rare" newstand copy of Spawn #1, or the fools forking over thousands for a German reprint of Hulk 181, it really comes down to creative/fraudulent marketing, not real-world value.

The book is ASM 300 from cover to back cover. The people who buy these know it is part of the collectible series....................

The book is ASM 300 from cover to back cover.

1) Open the book

2) Look at the indicia

3) Write down what the book's ACTUAL title is.

4) Repeat if needed.

Next you bozos are going to be selling the Fantastic First's DC reprints as "Detective Comics 27 - Rare Large-Sized Variant!!"

After all, it's Detective 27 from cover to back cover. tonofbricks.gif

Thank you for that work, and I guess that pretty well seals the deal. Sellers are willfully misrepresenting their "Collectible Classics" 1998 REPRINT editions as some bizarre form of "original issue variant" in an attempt to fraudulently fleece the newbs on EBay.

There is no such thing as an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Varient" and there never will be. makepoint.gif

If these "Collectible Classics" editions are so freaking rare and valuable, why use a fraudulent and totally non-existent book title to sell it? It makes no sense.

Thank you for that work, and I guess that pretty well seals the deal. Sellers are willfully misrepresenting their "Collectible Classics" 1998 REPRINT editions as some bizarre form of "original issue variant" in an attempt to fraudulently fleece the newbs on EBay.

There is no such thing as an "Amazing Spider-man 300 Chromium Varient" and there never will be. makepoint.gif

If these "Collectible Classics" editions are so freaking rare and valuable, why use a fraudulent and totally non-existent book title to sell it? It makes no sense.

and I gave you this information on ebay purchases how many hours ago? insane.gif