• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC VS. OVERSTREET

46 posts in this topic

:bump: for The Resurrection since he raised the vintage staples question in the pressing thread.

Even the author of the OS Grading Guide didn't have a really good explanation. (shrug)

As far as I know (and I helped make the rules :whistle: ) :

Staples cleaned or staples replaced garner a GREEN QUALIFIED label.

That is only the case IF NO OTHER RESTO WORK has been preformed, the comic will garner a PURPLE RESTORED label if other work is detected.

Hope that helps (thumbs u

Can I suggest that this is not as bad as it sounds?

Scenario: decent book with rusty staples - not yet migrated to the paper, but it's coming close.

Options:

1) leave it alone - eventually the rust migrates onto the paper

2) send it to a competent professional who carefully removes the staples and replaces them with vintage staples - the book is spared further damage.

Which sounds more rational? I'd have to go with OS over CGC here.

This falls under the same "rationale" category as taping tears is not restoration, but removing the tape is.

Can I suggest that this is not as bad as it sounds?

Scenario: decent book with rusty staples - not yet migrated to the paper, but it's coming close.

Options:

1) leave it alone - eventually the rust migrates onto the paper

2) send it to a competent professional who carefully removes the staples and replaces them with vintage staples - the book is spared further damage.

Which sounds more rational? I'd have to go with OS over CGC here.

This falls under the same "rationale" category as taping tears is not restoration, but removing the tape is.

I agree with you 100%.

I think tape should be BAD restoration and never used on a book, the OS does not agree. CGC made a comprimise when they opened, since there was a split on this among collectors.

Same with rusty staples, that's why staples replaced or cleaned is Qualified, compromise.

I wanted for years to make a label called CONSERVED to counter the restored label and teach people that conservation is a GOOD THING and and at the same time show that conservation and restoration can be two seperate things. One helps keep the book "Alive" and the other just makes a book (only sometimes) look better.

To many so called "purists" rage against conservation. Drives me crazy doh!

Absolutely a good thing. Can you imagine that Action #1 CGC 8.5 Universal with rusted staples? too bad the market does not realize that a Green label in some instances is not a bad thing. Wonder what that Action would grade in a green label with replaced vintage staples? 9.0? 9.2? 9.4?

hm

I wanted for years to make a label called CONSERVED to counter the restored label and teach people that conservation is a GOOD THING and and at the same time show that conservation and restoration can be two seperate things. One helps keep the book "Alive" and the other just makes a book (only sometimes) look better.

To many so called "purists" rage against conservation. Drives me crazy doh!

I think this would be far more accepted (I certainly do) if people were educated on this thing. It probably should start with Overstreet and definitely not end there.