• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Other than comics, what do you collect?
5 5

My Other Hobby  

5 members have voted

1. 1. My Other Hobby

440 posts in this topic

I collect comic art and some comic-related statues, but my wife and I try to collect a piece of art from every country we visit (all sorts of stuff, statues, paintings, mixed media, just whatever strikes our fancy that is representative of the region we visited).

In addition, we have been working on some Mexican Folk Art, such as the Alibrejes by the Linares family of Oaxaca. These are wildly imaginative papier mache pieces featuring bizarre creatures. We have several and hope to get more. The thing is, they are not particularly easy to display, because they are just plain bizarre. But we figure, so are we, so what the heck....

DSC00151.jpg

Wow!!

You guys really have some cool collections besides comic books. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I like the vintage japanese movie posters paull. thumbsup2.gif My wife and I have a decent sized collection of old martial arts and samurai movies and I've always thought about trying to find some of the posters from those films.

The Titanic items are really cool, Mark. My brother-in-law (who also happens to be an attorney) would be very envious of the historic memorabilia you own. hail.gif

The Aurora Model Kits are awesome! I forgot how cool some of those were. My favorites were always the monster kits. yay.gif

My wife and I like antique american tiles as well blob. cloud9.gif I have an American Pottery collectors book that has the values of some tiles from that time frame. If you ever were curious about a value, I'd be happy to check for you.

Your papier mache piece is great Rhino. It's amazing to me how much work are put into those pieces. Very cool! headbang.gif

It is interesting to see what everyone collects other than comics. It gives a little bit of insight into their personalities.

I sure would like to see a few of those antique tiles blob. poke2.gif

I'll have to dig them up. The goal was to one day frame them and hang them up. some of the portugese tiles i was thinking of doing a coffee table with. sure, they're over 200 years old, but they were inexpensive when i bought them in portugal 6 years ago. I suspect with the drop in the dollar vs. the euro they're a heck of a lot more expensive nowadays. it was pretty cool buying 200+ year old painted tiles for like $4-$5 each. (portugal has/had a ton of this stuff. it's not rare over there.) of course, it was also pretty cool staying at a 4 star hotel for $100 a night. it's probably $400 a night now.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I was just curious what other interests my fellow board members have besides comics. I have never collected traditional "action figures", however, following my passion for art and design, I have a collection of urban vinyl/art toys. This hobby began after a trip to New York three years ago where I visited a store called Kidrobot. The toys are designed by some of the most well known graphic designers and graffiti artists from around the world. I find the designs and artwork inspire me in much the same way comics have over the years.

Show us what you've got!

Alecholland,

Martial arts and samurai Japanese posters from the 60s and 70s are available on eBay from time to time. If you aren't looking for highly desirable Kurosawa posters (which can run $500-1000 and up, sometimes even as re-releases), you can find some pretty nice stuff for under $100. I have spent quite a bit of money tracking down posters of my favorite actors, directors and series. I've been to Japan five times and have picked them up there, too.

Part of the problem with posters is storage. If you want to store them flat and archivally (the smart choice), it can get expensive. I'm about to start buying mylars for my posters (about 75 or so), and it's going to cost me a bundle.

Like Zonker, I also collect books about comic books. Sometimes I'm more fascinated by the history of comics than the comics themselves.

I was a HUGE fan of pro wrestling in the 70's (long before everyone jumped on the "Hulkamania" bandwagon in the 80's). I don't watch it any more, but I collect books about the history of wrestling.

One of my favorite books is "Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George?" by Joe Jares, which can be hard to find and very expensive at times (I just checked on bookfinder.com, and there's a copy for $36, which isn't bad.). The supply seems to go up and down (supply was WAY down when I was looking for a copy years ago, of course). I'd love to own the Sports Illustrated issues that have the two articles by Joe Jares that later became chapters in the book ("Whatever Happened to Gorgeous George?" and "My Father The Thing" by Joe Jares).

The rarest/most expensive book I own is "Friday Night in the Coliseum" by Geoff Winningham, which is not hard to find, but is unbelievably hard to find at anything resembling a decent price (the cheapest copy on bookfinder is $203.50; the most expensive copy on bookfinder is $653.50). I went to a Wrestling Legends convention in Charlotte last year and got signatures from one of the men pictured in the book (Dory Funk, Jr.), and the son of one of men who is pictured in the book (Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, son of Johnny Valentine, now deceased).

I'd love to own an original copy of "Fall Guys" by Marcus Griffin, but that's a dream book (cheapest copy on bookfinder is $83.44). A man named Scott Teal reprinted it a couple of years ago, and I own a copy of the reprint. I'd still love to own an original copy, but I ain't payin' that much for one book.

Alecholland,

Martial arts and samurai Japanese posters from the 60s and 70s are available on eBay from time to time. If you aren't looking for highly desirable Kurosawa posters (which can run $500-1000 and up, sometimes even as re-releases), you can find some pretty nice stuff for under $100. I have spent quite a bit of money tracking down posters of my favorite actors, directors and series. I've been to Japan five times and have picked them up there, too.

I've posted this for you before?

1329850-DSCN3753.jpg

1329850-DSCN3753.jpg.44cfbae07727143f6d6fe5c8db36027a.jpg

P.S.: I have no idea about the market and availability of Hong Kong posters. I would imagine that the highly desirable stuff would be Bruce Lee (of course) and Shaw Brothers material.

hail.gif

I think you've just screwed me into a grail hunt for this:

1329857-Five-element.jpg

1329857-Five-element.jpg.66b24dbeff4bcb09369dbcf12e6d6fe0.jpg

Hahahaha...

As much as I love Bruce Lee and Shaw Brothers, I already have my hands full with early 70s Japanese cinema... I can't take any more on!

I collect so many genres of stuff. I'm thinking of liquidating one or two and concentrating on my favorites.

Awesome.... is that an original Zatoichi? It looks like an unusual shape... is it square?

No, it's regtangle, it's just the angle of the photograph.

It's an original. I wanted one example from the series and that one caught my eye.

I'm still contemplating spending real money for a Zatoichi Meets Yojimbo poster and eventually I need to get a good Kurosawa example. hail.gif

The classic original Kurosawas (Shichinin No Ronin (The Seven Samurai), Rashomon, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, etc.) go for crazy money. As much as I like the films, I'm not crazy enough to start collecting that stuff. Embarking on a mission to collect all the Japanese Sasori (Female Convict Scorpion) posters was crazy enough.

Edited by paull

I have some late 70s Bruce Lee mags, Kato mib toy from Kaybee Toys, & 1 or 2 Bruce Lee English 1 sheet posters. Last month, I started collecting 2 page b/w illustrated tear sheets/etchings from 1840s graphic illustrated UK or Canadian newspapers. Have 1 of Little Red Riding Hood that is about 140 years old. flowerred.gif

The classic original Kurosawas (Shichinin No Ronin (The Seven Samurai), Rashomon, Yojimbo, Sanjuro, etc.) go for crazy money. As much as I like the films, I'm not crazy enough to start collecting that stuff.

Which is why it would be "one and done" for me. Yojimbo would probably be my first choice, but I love his films so much I could go pretty far down the list and probably still be extremely happy.

Out of Kurosawa's films, my favorite would be a Seven Samurai poster, but it's the favorite of many, so I'll abstain.

I like Yojimbo because of what it spawned in Japanese cinema in the years that followed.

If I were to choose based on the films themselves, without the extra reference, I'd likely agree with you. Either that or Ran.