• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Greatest ever comic

75 posts in this topic

Man, Justice League was the greatest...I remember taking a stack of those comics to school just so my friends could read what they're missing! We even picked people out in my class and named them after some of the JL's rather obvious idiotic characters (Gnort for example..)

Batman #1 for the following reasons:

- First issue of a major character (Batman) in his own title

- First two appearances of the Joker

- First appearance of the Cat (ie. Catwoman)

- Orgin of Batman retold

- Last pre-Robin appearance of Batman

- Title still going after 63 years

Just my two cents worth!

Absolutely. 893applaud-thumb.gif Amazing Spider-man #1 is close second, IMO.

A case could be made that Spider-man (the most popular SA superhero) borrows alot of elements from Batman.

* Tragic death inspires fight against crime. [both characters lost their parents at a young age]

* Misunderstood loner character who is often at odds with law enforcement.

* Both characters are modeled after an animal that inspires fear is most people.

* Batman used to swing around Gotham on a "silken rope" starting with Detective #29.

Heck, the cover of AF #15 even has the same motif as Detective #27.

87_2_0027.jpg1514_2_15.jpg

Lots of good choices and a few I've never read, including FF 51, but I know where I can get a copy and I plan on picking it up. Greatest Ever, 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmmm, it occurs to me that anyone who is posting on this board probably cant narrow it down (FF51 aside), so ...........

DC: Batman 232 (All the stories surrounding Ras in Batman are just better) Im in my mid-20s and made the effort to locate and $$$ to but the Adams/O'Neil issues. Have never regretted it. Close second is the Wolfman - Perez run on New Teen Titans. All those Eagle awards, all the great stories, never understood the fall into oblivion for these books.

Marvel: Days of Future Past, pure genius even though it started all the time line [!@#%^&^] that I would come to hate so much in X-Books. ASM 121-122 I mean they killed Gwen and the GOBLIN far before character death was fashoinable or marketed. Gutsy

And the Diamond in the rough............Justice League (2nd Series) #5 Batman vs. Guy Gardner with Blue Beetle egging them on. I laughed my @ss off and now pause to go rumage through my collection (my back will be killing me lifting boxes) to read it again. One Punch lolgrin.gif Bwahahahaha grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

One of my favorite comic moments!

Marvels by Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek.

My reasons: One, this was the first time that I had seen Alex Ross artwork and I thought that it was incredible. His water color style was a giant step away from the usual pencil and inks. Two, the story was a great twist in the way that it used the man-on-the-street point of view towards super heroes. I had always wondered how people would react to a Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, or an X-Man if they really did exist and this series did a great job of conveying what it would have been like.

I finally read the first two issues of Marvels on Monday at a Borders book store. Amazing stuff!

I love the first issue the best because it's about the GA Timely characters and the first appearance of "mystery men" with strange powers. I've always liked Alex Ross' artwork but the art in the first issue blew me away, especially the scene when the Submariner flooded NYC.

Can't believe I waited so long to read it. Hope to read the last two issues soon.

sticking to single issues rather than arcs

Fantastic Four #51

Ramadan and Men of Good Fortune from Sandman are also contenders

if I up it to two-issues, I'll add Uncle Sam

anything longer than that for a complete story, there are too many competitors to choose from