• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CRC- Crestohl Ross Collection < PEDIGREE???

30 posts in this topic

I remember Bob Crestohl from about 1970. He left a lot of people in Toronto feeling bad. He did not cheat or lie. He was a hard bargainer.

He was from Montreal. He came to Toronto and one way or another found a collector (perhaps through mutual friends). Through the initial collector he would be introduced to their circle of friends. The collectors I knew were very young, perhaps 15 to 17. He was in his early twenties.

When he hit on me he asked if I had any comics for sale? Then, what ones would I sell if the price were right? Then, he haggled price and after I accepted his offer he said that as a dealer he would need an additional discount. In the end he would leave the collector with very little money on books that were, initially, not for sale. Several friends found themselves without collections and little compensation. In many ways his actions were no different then that of local comics stores except that the local comic stores usually wait for people to walk in with collections. His actions, especially considering the difference in age between him and the collectors, were predatory.

He moved through the city pretty quickly, buying up a huge number of comics (maybe 400 to 1000) and leaving them with my old friend Neal Stein, asking him to hold on to them for a short while until he could return for them. A short while turned into long while but Crestohl eventually returned to pick up his prizes.

The story goes that he amounted quite a collection of comics for resale, doing what he did in Toronto in other Canadian cities. I heard that from a Montreal fan who is about my age.

I suppose some would read this and call him a good businessman. Others would say he had foresight to accumulate comics in a fledgling marketplace, no one really knowing if the prices would go up or down. But those who dealt with him at that time in Toronto felt the lesser for the experience. I, myself, sold him one comic, Strange Tales Annual #1 for $.75. When I purchased another copy about five years ago, probably in similar condition, I paid $20 and remembered my dealings with Mr. Crestohl.

I bought quite a few books from him in the 70's.No bad experiences that I can recall.I did notice yesterday while I was looking at a copy of a Sothby's auction catalog from 91 or 92 and there were quite a few lots that were noted as belonging to the Crestohl Ross collection.Most ranged from F+ to VF+.They were nice looking books.The books that I picked up from Crestohl in the 70's were usually VF or better,although this was before his association with Ross.The last time that I spoke to Crestohl was about 10 years ago when he told me how well he was doing with sports magazines as a back issue enterprise.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

If it's a pedigree, which it's not, it should be called the Thief Pedigree.

Gerry Ross stills owes me money from 1996. Anything tied to him name is [embarrassing lack of self control].

No chance of a pedigree.

Come on Steve think about how much fun it would be? You guys need to add some excitement to your day. Coming up with a pedigree name could take weeks? We could have a contest!

If it's a pedigree, which it's not, it should be called the Thief Pedigree.

Gerry Ross stills owes me money from 1996. Anything tied to him name is [embarrassing lack of self control].

that MFer still owes me money from 1991. that guy and his family! mad.gif

Crestohl sold his collection to Mile High back in 97 or so I think. Chuck took out an ad celebrating the buy. The ad had a pic of him and Crestohl standing next to about 30 Marvel keys. In the text he stated how Mile High had just purchased the collection of small time dealer Robert Crestohl. I remember thinking that I couldn't believe that Chucky took out an ad in a Marvel comic and called this guy a "small time dealer". It just seemed sort of rude to me, considering that Crestohl and Ross had been taking out ads in Marvel comics since 1978 or so and Chucky was so full of himself to say that. The ad ran for a month or two but I can't remember the exact year and date.

Crestohl sold his collection to Mile High back in 97 or so I think. Chuck took out an ad celebrating the buy. The ad had a pic of him and Crestohl standing next to about 30 Marvel keys. In the text he stated how Mile High had just purchased the collection of small time dealer Robert Crestohl. I remember thinking that I couldn't believe that Chucky took out an ad in a Marvel comic and called this guy a "small time dealer". It just seemed sort of rude to me, considering that Crestohl and Ross had been taking out ads in Marvel comics since 1978 or so and Chucky was so full of himself to say that. The ad ran for a month or two but I can't remember the exact year and date.

I remember that ad. In the picture Chuck was grinning from ear to ear but Crestohl looked extremely grumpy. I'm surprised he opted to be in the photo...