• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Charm City Collection

96 posts in this topic

Thanks all, as I wrote earlier it feels like bragging showing these off but its more an appreciation for high grade books. Plus the idea that there are finds like this still out there make it worth searching.

A little more about the collection as a whole. The boxes are old and show some wear. There are two boxes that I guess are old school with no hole for a handhold. They have a seam all down the middle that is taped up. Two boxes have water damage and the only comics affected were the older Batmans. There are about 100 with the bottom edge covers and a corner water stain. Tec 290-350 and Batman 105-254 (not complete) were in other wise VG to F/VF. Another box practically disintegrated and the comics in there were 25-35 cent #1 issues bought in lots of 5 or 10. The bags have a bit of dirt at the edges and when looking at the white back covers while the book is in the bag they look horrible. Then when I throw out the bag, out pop 5 brand new comics straight off the printing press. In a few cases the edge comics lots of 5 have oxidized staples. Nothing worse than seeing 10 Teen Titan #1's in 9.4 to 9.8 all 10 with a tiny spot of oxidation (both white and rust colored) On the flip side, I almost throw a party when the other set that was affected were 10 copies of Howard the Duck 1.

And now: Lets Level with Daredevil.

dd77.jpg

Edited by ft88

I like to see the cartoon books represented. Along with all the Hanna Barbara's there's also Alf, Smurfs, Thundercats, etc. Hard to believe these are listed for $40 in the guide.

dmutt1.jpg

He was a guy about in his 50's and I didn't ask him too much but he lived and grew up in Baltimore his whole adult life. Collected in the 70's as is pretty obvious. His price guides go back to #6 and up to 20 so he probably collected for 15 years. He mentioned knowing Geppi and buying comics from him early on while Geppi was just starting. There are maybe 6 Golden Age books but the rest are Silver and Bronze. He was both a completionist and a specualtor for fun typical to what led up to the 90's craze. He was not as fussy about condition when he had to buy back issues. He probably completed those too but it looks like he sold off the Early Silver. With a few exceptions like ASM1; Spidey run starts at issue 103, FF at 40, X-men at 7, Avengers starts at 2, JIM at 85, but there are some holes. There are also inexplicable breaks, as a run of Thor goes to Issue 320 but FF stops at issue 99.

There are 3 long boxes of #1 issues with multiple copies in sets of 5 or 10. Just off memory there are 10x Wolverine 1-4, Ms Marvel 1, Teen Titans 1, Howard the Duck 1, Nova 1, 20x Dazzler 1. The 5x #1 issues for She Hulk, Spiderwoman, Spotlight 32, Premiere 38, Peter Parker, Star Wars, Star Trek, Arak and other DC,

Easy to imagine his mindset buying these and a decent forcast on his part. He skipped the Atlas books and most of the DC that came out during that time. Shoot he even bought doubles of the Hanna Barbaras.

He didn't buy horror, war, or westerns nor did he buy too many DC back issues and those he did aren't as sharp as the Marvels. He did buy some DC keys.

I don't know his occupation nor why he sold other than that he was a huge pack rat and his townhouse was a total mess of stuff. He kept all his middle earth type collectibles including a Lord of the Rings Animation Cel. I only mention that since it was clear both he and his wife were happy to "get rid of the stuff" and yet he did keep quite a bit which I would have gladly bought.

He did know their value but didn't want the hassle of going through them and selling them. It looked like he hadn't touched them since the 80's. I paid a reasonable amount in the thousands and the only sleep I lost from this deal was staying up late late going through the comics.

Jim,

These will go up for sale eventually at first here in the Marketplace then ebay. I'm still in the sorting and replacing bags stage right now. Next step will be to filter out the CGC candidates.

Ed

He didn't buy horror, war, or westerns nor did he buy too many DC back issues and those he did aren't as sharp as the Marvels.

This is the story of my life... for every 20 nice finds, maybe one or two will have a smattering of high grade DC war comics. They are just sooooo hard to find in grade.

By the way, killer find. There's no greater thrill for a collector than nailing a great collection.

Shep