• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A modest proposal for a pressed book experiment.

22 posts in this topic

Because we all live at different financial levels, I'd like to think this debate can be made without adding the monetary value of each book,

Isn't what this hubbub is all about?

and more on the principal of non-disclosure being unethical so that all collectors can feel included.

Where did you get that I was advocating non-disclosure as the way to go? I understand why sellers choose to go the "disclosure only if asked" route to protect their investments in the current stigmatized atmosphere against pressed books. However, I have always stated that I will fully disclose any books that I know to be pressed or had pressed when I sell them and until I will prove it by selling a few of the books I get back from Matt's recent 'experiment'

Unless you bought your 111 CGC 9.8s off the shelf, there's a good chance that some key books or number 1s are pressed. If you bought them from a dealer known to sell pressed books or a consignment operation, then I'd bet some of your bronze Age 9.8s are pressed. Can you tell now that they are pressed? Probably not. Will you share that potential if you ever resell? Probably not. can't tell what you don't know and a lot of folks will continue to espouse this feigned ignorance stance or maybe they are telling the truth. How would you know and who are you to accuse without proof and potentially ruin a seller's (could be BSD's for now who have admitted to pressing some books but I see the pitchforks eventually turning to small ebay dealers overtime and their entire inventories) reputation? Biggest problem now is that you can't prove anything.

Because we all live at different financial levels, I'd like to think this debate can be made without adding the monetary value of each book,

Isn't what this hubbub is all about?

I'd like to think it is.

and more on the principal of non-disclosure being unethical so that all collectors can feel included.

Where did you get that I was advocating non-disclosure as the way to go? I understand why sellers choose to go the "disclosure only if asked" route to protect their investments in the current stigmatized atmosphere against pressed books. However, I have always stated that I will fully disclose any books that I know to be pressed or had pressed when I sell them and until I will prove it by selling a few of the books I get back from Matt's recent 'experiment'

Not sure where you got that I was accusing you of advocating non-disclosure. I don't believe I said that. I was commenting on Yours and Mark's statements equating the costs of the book in regards to caring if it was pressed. I was stating my opinion where I would like the debate to focus it's merits.

Unless you bought your 111 CGC 9.8s off the shelf, there's a good chance that some key books or number 1s are pressed. If you bought them from a dealer known to sell pressed books or a consignment operation, then I'd bet some of your bronze Age 9.8s are pressed. Can you tell now that they are pressed? Probably not. Will you share that potential if you ever resell? Probably not. can't tell what you don't know and a lot of folks will continue to espouse this feigned ignorance stance or maybe they are telling the truth. How would you know and who are you to accuse without proof and potentially ruin a seller's (could be BSD's for now who have admitted to pressing some books but I see the pitchforks eventually turning to small ebay dealers overtime and their entire inventories) reputation? Biggest problem now is that you can't prove anything.

Yes, you are probably absolutely correct that there is the good chance that some of my books could be pressed and if you can't already tell, I'm not happy about that. This is a great point of why disclosure needs to start from the top down. If the person pressing or having the pressing done doesn't disclose it, the buck seems to stop there. If they disclose it, then the burden falls to that buyer to continue disclosing if/when they sell. I would have no problem doing this and as I said, would resubmit all my books to CGC or a new company if they can (and will) detect pressing so I can have that piece of mind.

Are you now implying that we should disclose if a book "might be" pressed if we simply don't know it's history? What I would be willing to do, is to disclose who or where I purchased each book to a potential buyer, and if they have a certain reservation about the source of my purchase, then they can figure that accordingly into their offer or bid. That's about the best I can do unless I have some direct info. I think that's all I'm asking of other sellers.