• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green Lantern #50 last Hal Jordan issue in NM, worth slabbing?

16 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm curious to hear any opinions about Green Lantern #50 from 1994. I have a few really nice NM copies of this book. I sent one in for grading because I like the book but is it worth it to send in a couple more? It's the last issue with Hal as GL which I think is significant, special cover, double size, great story too!

Maybe this is more appropriate for the Marketplace forum but I thought I'd start somewhere confused.gif

thanks for looking

dave h

I think that if this book has that " Something Special " feel to it, then you should go ahead and slab her !! There are all sorts of books slabbed. Some make you say " Why ? but then " Why not ? " It's special to you !! And as a bonus, it may get a 10 !!

I've got over 40 NM copies of #48 which is the first appearance of Kyle Raynor (part of a collection I purchased which included a ton of multiples)... but no one seems to think that this is a noteworthy event... ;-)

GL #50 doesn't do much better generally it seems.

Cool story? yeah

Nice cover? yeah

Important event in comics history? sure, why not.

Slab-worthy? Not even close

I agree with this being an important book (although as stated earlier, maybe 48 was more important). I loved Hal Jordan as GL, and thought that his going nuts and basically taking over the entire collective power of the corps was a neat idea. I think, however, that what they have done with him since (which is pretty much nothing) has hurt this book. Had Paralax stuck around for a while and made it popular, it would have a shot, but this is just another case of an early 90s book with a print run of like 80 gajillion where 90% or more of the books were never even openned and went straight to bags and boards. I must have over 2500 books from the 1990-96ish range in 9.8 (probably some 9.9s and 10s) and I can't think of one issue I would slab (maybe a couple of pre-Unity Valiants, but I would never sell them so I see no point in slabbing them)

Do you think this book was over printed? Or is it not much in demand because of the time when it was published, ie too many enhanced covers on the racks, waning interest in the character, or some other reason I'm not thinking of?

Oh well, I guess I'll hang onto the extra copies I have and be happy with the one I sent in when it comes back as a 9.8 grin.gif

thanks for the replies

dave h

I think pretty much everything back then (especially special cover issues like this) was over-printed. I don't have any real numbers, but I know that the 5 or 6 local shops that were around back then (of which only 2 survive today) had plenty. It was a hot story, and there was a buzz about Hal becoming a major character in the upcoming Zero Hour story. If I remember right, 46 was a Doomsday issue that caught people by surprise so it was underordered and shot up to like 10-15 bucks almost overnight. Then when people heard 48 was going to be the intro of the new GL, people really started to jump on. By the time 50 came out, GL was as popular as it had been in the prior couple of decades. No one that payed extra to pick up 46 and 48 wanted to get caught napping on 50 and stores ordered them by the boatload. It still shot up to like 7 or 8 bucks pretty quick, but stores had 50-75 left over after the explosion. When Hal basically fell off the planet, this quickly became a quarter book and has been since then. Still a great book, and I hope you get your 9.8 or better out of it.

In a word-NOIf you are looking at an investment angle -forget about slabbing them. Go to your local shops and buy them up for 3 for a dollar. Hit enuff shops nationwide and someday the books will be worth cover price. If you really think this book is special and worthy of note,buy some and spread them to people who have not read them. As a kid Hal Jordan was my favorite DC hero but none of his books has ever really taken off. The Adams run is desired for the art and storyline,the heroes could have been anyone.If the storyline from #40 was in the Flash or JLA I believe it would sell for much more. There are wall displays available thru your local shop that will display a comic much nicer than a slab will.

Do you think this book was over printed?

I have the sales reports from December 1993 (Green Lantern 48,49)

and also from February 1994 (Green Lantern 51)...

using the "insider info" from Matthew High, it looks like

the APPROXIMATE print runs for those books are:

Green Lantern 48 - 160,000 copies

Green Lantern 49 - 160,000 copies

Green Lantern 50 -

Green Lantern 51 - 150,000 copies

Since the January 1994 numbers are missing (from the old usenet),

we can only guess about the print run...but I'd say it's 160,000 minimum,

with the possibility of 200,000+ given that it's a 50th-issue.

Ouch, that hurts. Hal deserves better than to be in the quarter box!

Sometime ago when CGC grading was $14,The local Mall Comic Store was going out of buisness (no surpise) and every back issue unbagged and boarded was 25 cents,I picked up a Green Lantern #50 for $0.25,I had it graded.Came back a 9.8 White and sold it on eBay for $59.00!! 893applaud-thumb.gif K.

Ouch, that hurts. Hal deserves better than to be in the quarter box!

Sometime ago when CGC grading was $14,The local Mall Comic Store was going out of buisness (no surpise) and every back issue unbagged and boarded was 25 cents,I picked up a Green Lantern #50 for $0.25,I had it graded.Came back a 9.8 White and sold it on eBay for $59.00!! 893applaud-thumb.gif K.

Holy [!@#%^&^]...where have you been? sumo.gif

I sent in two of these issues about a year ago and both came back 9.8's. I sold one for $60 ebay and I have held onto the other. It would probably only sell on ebay right now for $40-50. I think that's a rip-off with how key this book is and come on, who doesn't love that cover.

If you think you have a NM/MT copy or better then I think w/o a doubt its worth getting graded right now through the reduced CGC summer pricing level. After August, I would say no.

But hey, save yourself the fee, I'll sell you mine with white pages for $45 cool.gif

Hmm, not THAT long ago I would have thought a high grade modern GL 50 would have been worth more than it currently is in 9.8 condition. Learn something new on these forums every day.