• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,080 posts in this topic

Whilst I think Joe Kubert's War covers for DC are exceptional, there's one aspect of his art that irritates me slightly, and tends to detract from those images this is prevalent on . . .

Thanks for ruining them for me! Now I see swastikas everywhere on those covers! tongue.gif

Marc

I'm sorry . . . I'm sorry confused-smiley-013.gif

Mind you . . . I did come across this interesting variation on a theme 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

219qt5j.jpg

Every pirate ship should have one! grin.gif

219qt5j.jpg

Don't you just love how Sgt Rock can dive through a barbed wire fence, dodging machine gun bullets all the way AND still punch the nazi b astard out.

Who needs Captain America. We gots the ultimate super soldier. laugh.gif

Edited by Jeffro

That's not a Kubert cover. gossip.gif

D'oh, it was a Grandenetti cover tonofbricks.gif

Okay, let's try again . . .

20s98nn.jpg

I think it was used more to let us know that he was fighting in Europe today and not in the Pacific fighting Japanese. Those soldiers in the (Rock, Sarge + Gunner and Sgt. Fury) did get to travel alot in those days!

That's not a Kubert cover. gossip.gif

D'oh, it was a Grandenetti cover tonofbricks.gif

Okay, let's try again . . .

20s98nn.jpg

I think it was used more to let us know that he was fighting in Europe today and not in the Pacific fighting Japanese. Those soldiers in the (Rock, Sarge + Gunner and Sgt. Fury) did get to travel alot in those days!

In truth, Sgt. Rock spent virtually no time in the Pacific.... the only stint he did over there was in a short series in Our Army at War #256-#259. Easy never fought in the Pacific at all.

Gunner n Sarge fought mostly in the Pacific against the Japanese, until they joined the Losers. Then, most of their fighting was in Europe and North Africa against the Germans.

Johnny Cloud was in Europe only.

Capt. Storm was in the Pacific.

The Haunted Tank fought almost entirely in Western Europe and North Africa against the Germans, though there were some occasional detours to Yugoslvia, Russia, and the China-Burma-India theatre.

The Unknown Soldier was everywhere at once.

No doubt that the DC war artists of the 50s and 60s were much harder on the Japanese, cariacature-wise... they are often portrayed as real cliches.

Shep

The Haunted Tank fought almost entirely in Western Europe and North Africa against the Germans, though there were some occasional detours to Yugoslvia, Russia, and the China-Burma-India theatre.

And that one detour to the Alleutian Islands.

And that one detour to the Alleutian Islands.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I thought I was going to have to mention that.

And Rock's kid brother was in the Pacific.

As I get more and more of the earlier issues, there were a couple of other war characters that Kanigher tried out, but ultimately didn't catch on.

Big Al, Little Al and Charlie Cigar.... never really liked them.

Tank Killer. I liked this guy a lot. He hunted tanks... and you can't beat a name like 'Tank Killer!'

Anybody like these? And out of curiousity... were they dealt with in Crisis?

Shep

Nice looking copy!!! For sale? Lemme know!

Shep

It's only been the lead image in our war section on our site for the last two years that you've been reading my posts on the Big Five yahoo mailing list! poke2.gif

However, it sold last night which is why I was reminded of it and posted it. Sorry. frown.gif

Marc

Nice looking copy!!! For sale? Lemme know!

Shep

It's only been the lead image in our war section on our site for the last two years that you've been reading my posts on the Big Five yahoo mailing list! poke2.gif

However, it sold last night which is why I was reminded of it and posted it. Sorry. frown.gif

Marc

Hey Marc,

Truth is, I've only been paying attention to the SA Gunner and Sarge books in the past little while, since I finished my BA runs. I probably saw it on your site, but it wasn't on my want list then.

Sorry to hear it's sold!!

Shep

Truth is, I've only been paying attention to the SA Gunner and Sarge books in the past little while, since I finished my BA runs. I probably saw it on your site, but it wasn't on my want list then.

Yeah, I know. I enjoy the updates you've been giving us on your collection both here and on the Big Five list. flowerred.gifhi.gif

I find sharing the books with like-minded collectors to be one of the most satisfying aspects of the hobby.

Shep

And I, for one, greatly appreciate it. If I had the funds, big five war books is what I would collect over all else.

In truth, I don't have the funds!! I've had to sell:

a) all my Bronze Age horror

b) all my HG Weird Westerns and Jonah Hex

c) some sweet original art, including a Battle Album by Ken Barr and 2 Severin pages

d) all my doubles (about 300 at one point)

e) some nice magazines

The upside is that instead of spreading fewer dollars around to the war, horror and western categories, I can focus on one thing.... DC war. When I started selling my horror books back in February, I was really anxious about letting them go. One of my first buyers was good ol' Nikos, who said 'Replace them with something you love, and you won't miss 'em'. He was totally right.

The other thing I've found is that by stockpiling some dough over a period of months, and buying larger lots from dealers, I can really hammer down the prices. I recently bought one lot of 30 books (all pre-1957) and was able to drive the price down by several hundred dollars. There are individual books that I pick off from time to time, but the best scores have definitely been nailing the lots. That's my MO from now on.

Mmmmmmm. DC war.

Shep

Good plan. I've been thinking about doing something similar. It's hard to part with some stuff though. Like my Tomb of Dracula #1 that I bought years ago for $4. I swear it's at least 9.6

Of course, now I'm considering it. A few years ago that would have been out of the question, so maybe someday I'll be able to part with them. grin.gif