• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Come See My Freaky X-Men 94 Wall Comic

23 posts in this topic

I've been telling the tale of buying my X-Men 94 CGC 4.0 "Faded Pedigree" Wall-Comic for awhile now, and I thought it was high time I gave you all a look at it.

I was tooling around EBay and saw a lame "no pic/no description" listing for a "VG XMEN 94", and not noticing any action, I laid down a bid and forgot about it. I was a bit surprised to win the book, and at a price of $37...

Now I expected a ratty POS in the mail, but when I opened up the package, I found a CGC copy, graded at 4.0, and it's got to be one of the freakier books I own. The front cover is faded, the blacks are blacker (? disappearing background greens I guess??), the other colors are way lighter, but structurally, the comic is pretty impressive.

3 spine creases were all I could find, and it's got a back cover to die for. Obviously a NM "wall copy" that some bozo stuck up there for a few years and quickly turned into a CGC 4.0. Then again, for $37, I ain't complaining. 27_laughing.gif

Please note that there are a few plastic "CGC case nicks" showing up, and yes, the cover is a creepy black and YES, I know it's FADED!! :>

xmen_94_front.jpg

xmen_94_back.jpg

No way Jose, as just being able to stare at that back cover is worth more than money can buy....

I do know I'd hate to be the grader the day that puppy came in. I mean, where do you start.. NM structurally, faded like heck... I got it.. VG 4.0...

Definetly a conversation piece with other collectors. It was well worth the price you paid to have such an interesting specimen. After all, from the looks of it, to duplicate that feat you would need to get a VF/NM copy and invest years into getting that color to fade. And who knows if you could get that black backround. That's a true gem. grin.gif

Hey Joe (any Hendrix fans here?), I've got lots of curiosity pieces I'll sell you for a mere $36 each!! And better yet, for a small fee, I can custom create "interesting specimens" that we can all talk about for days!! grin.gif

One day...soon...we WILL shock the forum and conduct a transaction! goodevil.gif (I'm the one on the left).

Hey Joe (any Hendrix fans here?), I've got lots of curiosity pieces I'll sell you for a mere $36 each!! And better yet, for a small fee, I can custom create "interesting specimens" that we can all talk about for days!! grin.gif

You have my permission to sell me like-shaded CGC copies of Hulk 181 or GS X-Men for $36 a piece. A curiosity piece has to be a valuable comic in the first place, to make it a curiosity.

No one wants to see heavily-faded, structurally NM copies of Nova or Human Fly...

One day...soon...we WILL shock the forum and conduct a transaction! goodevil.gif (I'm the one on the left).

Like I said before, if you have any non-X-Men, NM Byrne 70's books, let me know and I'll zip the money down. Assuming you don't double the price just cuz it's me.

Other than the obvious, it looks like a very nice copy (Scan is pretty dark). I think it was a good deal for the price. I happen to dislike fades though. I personally believe it knocks at least 2 grades off of a book, even 3. Its soooo detracting from a nice book. The very first thing that you think about is the damn fade.

Still think it was a very good deal at $37.

893Rant-Smilie-thumb.gif

Other than the obvious, it looks like a very nice copy (Scan is pretty dark).

Believe it or not, thats' what the book looks like. I have a few other copies and one is a HG issue with a VERY dark black-green background that obviously was one of the first books off the press.

That's what I think this issue was "originally", a deep-ink/color cover that faded and just left the dark inks and washed-out colors.

I think it was a good deal for the price. I happen to dislike fades though. I personally believe it knocks at least 2 grades off of a book, even 3.

I really have no idea on how CGC grades these books, and while this is not a HG copy, it's definitely one of the most structurally sound VG 4.0's I've ever seen. In my book, its nice back cover and VF/NM to NM tightness deserves a bit higher on the CGC scale.

Maybe VG/FN or FN-.

It would certainly appear that CGC dropped that book several full grades, no? Some SPF 40 woulda helped this comic a lot wink.gif Still a great deal at $37, tho... in five years you'll get $200 for it, I'm guessing.

It would certainly appear that CGC dropped that book several full grades, no?

Well, assuming no fading, I'd conservatively grade it a VF/NM 9.0, with a 9.2 being a more X-Men 94-relative grade.

When I got first received the book, I was very interested in what went down, and found that the original owner was also more-than disappointed with the grade, and assumed something in the Fine range.

He also called up CGC to get their opinion, and the reason given for the low grade was simply "front cover fading" so they apparently did lower it significantly due to this factor.

Still a great deal at $37, tho... in five years you'll get $200 for it, I'm guessing.

No worries about the value, as I have other copies, and find this one quite interesting and far more "collectible" than any of the other CGC VG 4.0 copies I've seen.

No way Jose, as just being able to stare at that back cover is worth more than money can buy....

You REALLY into the "La Salle Extension University" that much, eh? insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif