• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing project results--post here

355 posts in this topic

As if you have any personal experience whatsoever to make such a libelous comment . . . yeahok.gif

Your auctions speak for themselves...the comments in the Grading Section didn't stop you from describing yet another 9.8 on eBay... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Grading Request

EBay Auction

the man-child that says everyone likes him . . . 27_laughing.gif

I don't need or expect anyone to like me...those Forum members I respect already know what a great guy I am...you don't fall into that group... poke2.gif

Jim

Matt's evaluation upon receipt:

Witching Hour #13

press to 8.5 - 9.0

notes: flaring, 1/8" crease bottom corner front cover, bend mid front cover, spine wear, impact bottom edge front cover

My notes before sending:

TWH #13

4" bend down center of front cover through logo; 10-12 NCB spine bends; small crescent crease BEFC; light bending along REFC; VF 8.0 White

Analysis: Center bend still visible, although lessened (thought this would have disappeared entirely); 7-8 NCB spine bends still present; crescent crease unaffected; bend along REFC still visible, but lessened to same extent as center bend.

Notes: book is definitely flatter, but not a "pancake" by any means; there appears to be no effect to the shape of the spine or additional flaring of the pages; perhaps grade increased to 8.5 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

However, there is now a 3" "scratch" (or cut), dead center below the (our) left eye of the man extending from the spine to the center bend, which was not present before pressing / handling. It's very light, but quite disturbing once you focus on it.

Summary: Should have left well enough alone. sumo.gif

As if you have any personal experience whatsoever to make such a libelous comment . . . yeahok.gif

Your auctions speak for themselves.

Yes, my auctions (as well as my actions) DO speak for themselves, the problem IS that yours don't. You're a wannabe in the worst way 27_laughing.gif Suck it up Seargent-boy! sumo.gif

I don't need or expect anyone to like me...those Forum members I respect already know what a great guy I am...you don't fall into that group

All well and good, as they'd fit on the head of a pin . . . 27_laughing.gif

I don't need or expect anyone to like me...those Forum members I respect already know what a great guy I am...you don't fall into that group

Who's talking out of ignorance now big boy... 27_laughing.gif Keep 'em coming... grin.gif

Jim

Who's talking out of ignorance now big boy... 27_laughing.gif Keep 'em coming... grin.gif

27_laughing.gif the joke's on you jim 27_laughing.gif

Your auctions speak for themselves.

Yes, my auctions (as well as my actions) DO speak for themselves, the problem IS that yours don't. You're a wannabe in the worst way 27_laughing.gif Suck it up Seargent-boy! sumo.gif

I don't wannabe like you in any way...I have too much integrity and self worth to act like you and your auctions... gossip.gif

And that's Sergeant to you... 27_laughing.gif

Jim

27_laughing.gif the joke's on you jim 27_laughing.gif

Says the king of raw 9.8s...who's deluding who here? 27_laughing.gif

Jim

Matt's evaluation:

Ghost Rider #1

press to 6.5 - 7.0

notes: many dents cover, many spine stresses, wear bottom edge

My notes before pressing:

Universal minor surface "wrinkling" to both covers; 7 NCB bends along spine; edge rippling TEFC and BEFC; FN/VF 7.0 White

Analysis: Edge rippling and wrinkling somewhat lessened, but not appreciably; no effect on NCB spine bends; again perhaps an increase of .5 to 7.5

Summary: Not sure I would pay to have this done . . . confused-smiley-013.gif

Book #2 - Ghost Rider #1

before pressing:

GR1ss.jpg

after pressing:

GR1pp.jpg

893scratchchin-thumb.gif There appears to be a slight increase in the amount of white band along the spine above the top staple 893scratchchin-thumb.gif No other surprises.

Btw, my comments here (except those made to ahem, little jim) are strictly for the purpose of providing an independent analysis of the effects of pressing on the books I submitted. I have no interest in increasing the value of these books, establishing a relationship with Matt Nelson, or appealing to one side or the other on the subject of pressing books. It is well known, that I don't press books, and that I don't agree with the pressing of books. Neither do I have an "axe to grind" with those that press books. I feel you can do whatever you want to your own books . . . (just don't sell them to me as "unrestored") grin.gif

I have to add (without sucking up) that Matt was quite generous with his time and resources in offering this experiment gratis. His communications were great, and he is a professional in every way, and I commend him for taking on the task for us skeptical board members. 893applaud-thumb.gif

so did the GR 1 go up in grade at all? and what were you trying to improve on that one?

Yes, I would say it went up .5 (see notes above) Many board members graded it 7.5 from scans, but in hand I was not quite there due to surface wrinkling and edge rippling. These were lessened by pressing, sufficient to confirm its appearance in scans.

p.s. I'll look at the other three books tomorrow. sleeping.gif

It is well known, that I don't press books, and that I don't agree with the pressing of books.

You mean you "didn't" press books.

You have now.

Which is why I'm having trouble with the last part of your statement above. confused.gif

It is well known, that I don't press books, and that I don't agree with the pressing of books.

You have now.

Which is why I'm having trouble with the last part of your statement above. confused.gif

Oh, c'mon that's a joke. Everyone knows what this was. makepoint.gif

You have now.

Everyone? Really?

I don't know. A pressing submission. Raw 9.8s on Ebay. If one didn't know any better.....

You have now.

Everyone? Really?

I don't know. A pressing submission. Raw 9.8s on Ebay. If one didn't know any better.....

But you do, so why the carp? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif