• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pressing project results--post here

355 posts in this topic

I'm not trying to give you a hard time at all.

Entertain the idea that I'm a 1st-time lurker. I come across this thread & make the connection between you, and the seller of this sweet NM/MT raw book I have on my watch list.

I don't want pressed books in my collection. I don't know you. All I know is that you submitted a bunch of books to be pressed, and posted the results.

I become skeptical, and I pass on a book I really would have liked to own.

This is a public forum afterall. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not trying to give you a hard time at all.

Entertain the idea that I'm a 1st-time lurker. I come across this thread & make the connection between you, and the seller of this sweet NM/MT raw book I have on my watch list.

I don't want pressed books in my collection. I don't know you. All I know is that you submitted a bunch of books to be pressed, and posted the results.

I become skeptical, and I pass on a book I really would have liked to own.

This is a public forum afterall. confused-smiley-013.gif

Fair enough B, when I "volunteered" to participate, I failed to consider the "'guilt by association" factor. 27_laughing.gif

Why, I've even had "dinner" with Jason Ewert . . . blush.gif (along with 35 other card-carrying forum members) smirk.gif

Well all the books I had pressed were for my personal collection.

In contrast, none of the books I had pressed are either from, or for my personal collection - I would never consider treating them as such. grin.gif

In contrast, none of the books I had pressed are either from, or for my personal collection - I would never consider treating them as such. grin.gif

Interesting approach to collecting....all three that I had "worked" on will be staying with me unless a forum member begs me to purchase them. insane.gif

So let's see your other three books divad. I won't be getting mine for a while due to the Planet work.

Does that mean you'll be selling the Witching Hour #13 as a "restored" copy anytime soon. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Does that mean you'll be selling the Witching Hour #13 as a "restored" copy anytime soon. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Absolutely! You want it? gossip.gifAlthough Matt calls it "conservation" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Or maybe I'll just get it slabbed, as it IS undetectable . . . devil.gif (insert sarcasm graemlin here) grin.gif

Absolutely! You want it? gossip.gifAlthough Matt calls it "conservation" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Or maybe I'll just get it slabbed, as it IS undetectable . . . devil.gif (insert sarcasm graemlin here) grin.gif

gossip.gifHe placed quotes around restored. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifMaybe he thought you were going to forget about the work. 27_laughing.gif

gossip.gifHe placed quotes around restored. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifMaybe he thought you were going to forget about the work. 27_laughing.gif

Nah - just setting the stage for a lowball offer wink.gif

David, I am interested - I'll PM you with an offer including some of the Thor readers you have on ebay if they don't sell there, after your auctions close.

I had the pleasure of meeting Matt in Philly. He is a great guy to talk to. Its obvious he is very knowledgable and real good at what he does. So for those who are are against pressing hate the game not the player, just dont confuse the two. For the rest that dont care about pressing, Matt is someone to consider.

For heaven's sake, can't we have a thread that examines the results of tests without the bomb throwers and self-appointed moral authorities casting shame on anyone that dared to get a few books pressed?

Divad gets a few midgrade bronze books pressed, shares the results and suddenly he's being treated like the second coming of Jason Ewert.

Give it a rest guys. You made your point, now go somewhere else.

(EDIT: I replied on a ComicDonna post, but this is not aimed at him.)

I had the pleasure of meeting Matt in Philly. He is a great guy to talk to. Its obvious he is very knowledgable and real good at what he does. So for those who are are against pressing hate the game not the player, just dont confuse the two. For the rest that dont care about pressing, Matt is someone to consider.

Hey fellas,

I was too late to take Matt up on his generous offer.

However, I do have a couple of silver age books with mild spine rolls. Brilliant copies otherwise, but improper storage gave them a little roll. If anyone had Matt do that kind of work, I would love to see some before and after to see it it's something that may work for these books.

And before anyone sh*ts a brick, yeah, they're for my personal collection.

A quick word about Matt. About 3 or 4 years ago, I was able to purchase some very mice mid-grade Atlas war books from him (unrestored, by the way!). Matt was all-pro, and a pleasure to deal with. A very solid guy. This ain't no suck-up, but I agree with the sentiment of some other board members that it took some pretty large balls for Matt to wade into the hostile territory of these boards to offer up the pressing proposal. So, Matt - all props to you.

Oh, and to all the usual flamethrowing insufficiently_thoughtful_persons - it's just comics, so lighten the [embarrassing lack of self control] up.

Shep

But Matt IS both. He is a major player in the pressing game, and also hip deep in the dealers market. If he were to simply press funny books as part of restoring them, and/or not sell them himself undisclosed(unless asked) I would have no problem with Matt as a restorer, or a person.

Pressing books for others, even though for the most part it doesnt help conserve them or selling undisclosed pressed books for X amount more then a disclosed or unpressed book might sell for is all about turning a quick buck anyway you look at it.

Plain and simple.

You are correct though, he is good at it.

Ze-

Oh, and to all the usual flamethrowing insufficiently_thoughtful_persons - it's just comics, so lighten the [embarrassing lack of self control] up.

Shep

Shep.

What is with the flamethowing? Please don't derail this thread with the personal attacks. I am interested in seeing objective comments from those who participated in the pressing submissions.