• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Well there are 21 total copies of #10 if you count the restored ones...Only 4 total copies of issue #31. Which do think is rarer honest question?!! btw how nice does this present for a 2.0?!! Love to see the Fox books get some much deserved love in the market!! Love em all!!

Can someone PLEASE sell me a coverless Wonderworld #7!! 

B775653F-51D5-4522-AB0D-F6F296397A86.jpeg

Now there's one spectacular book that is rare as hens' teeth! Great looking copy, Gino!!!!! <3 I love those detached covers... the best kind of defect to bring down a grade!

If I stumble upon a coverless Wonderworld 7, you shall know, my friend. (thumbsu

7 minutes ago, Zolnerowich said:

If I stumble upon a coverless Wonderworld 7, you shall know, my friend. (thumbsu

The nice thing about a coverless WW7 is that you still get a marvelous Lou Fine interior that matches that ghoulish cover scene. 

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Well there are 21 total copies of #10 if you count the restored ones...Only 4 total copies of issue #31. Which do think is rarer honest question?!! btw how nice does this present for a 2.0?!! Love to see the Fox books get some much deserved love in the market!! Love em all!!

Can someone PLEASE sell me a coverless Wonderworld #7!! 

B775653F-51D5-4522-AB0D-F6F296397A86.jpeg

5 minutes ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks brother!!! Couldn’t agree more my man!!

it’s an amazing book inside and out!! My cover really does deserve a marriage the colors on it are blinding. I have the whole cover too front and back and it’s attached and supple. colors on this are not juiced it’s all just took this pic been sitting in a drawer for a few years waiting patiently! 

943D57DC-4B27-41D2-91F2-BC82450E5DCE.jpeg

I must say, those late 1941, early 1942 books seem like they may just be the rarest.  Wonderworld 31 and Mystery Men 30 are both so awesome, and there are so few copies on the census.

That WW7 cover is so sharp.  It's amazing to me that a book can have the insides fall out and still have a cover in such nice condition.  Best of luck in your search!

1 hour ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks man agreed definitely strange!! Seeing as these books are 80 years old now though who knows what could have happened along the way!! Maybe a couple youngsters fighting over the book bc it was so cool and one ripped the cover off 🤷‍♂️🙌 😂

6 on the census (4 blue labels) for MM30. looked for this one for a long time before @Ricksneatstuff put this up for sale!! 

F3A8D333-DB62-4051-8A1A-1F077A35C650.jpeg

Gorgeous!

2 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks man agreed definitely strange!! Seeing as these books are 80 years old now though who knows what could have happened along the way!! Maybe a couple youngsters fighting over the book bc it was so cool and one ripped the cover off 🤷‍♂️🙌 😂

6 on the census (4 blue labels) for MM30. looked for this one for a long time before @Ricksneatstuff put this up for sale!! 

F3A8D333-DB62-4051-8A1A-1F077A35C650.jpeg

Given that I have youngsters myself, I can confirm that this is quite possible!

Amazing book!  Definitely high on my personal WTB list. (thumbsu

Edited by Spyder!
spelling

4 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:

Definitely some serious bidding on the Wonderworld 10! Easily in the top ten of hardest to find. There’s only 15 Universal copies on GPA, and only four higher than 2.5. That, and the recent run-up of the early Fox books, may account for the hefty price tag.

I feel like this is how my quest for early Fox books will go.

The rest of the Fox collecting world to me:

pb1.gif

My response:

pb2.gif

Edited by Spyder!

25 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

I feel like this is how my quest for early Fox books will go.

The rest of the Fox collecting world to me:

pb1.gif

My response:

pb2.gif

In addition to your fine taste in comic books, you are a whiz kid with the GIFs!

(btw is it pronounced "gif" as in Green Mask? or "jif" as in Jungle Comics?)

1 minute ago, Zolnerowich said:

hif

1 hour ago, Zolnerowich said:

The British pronounce it "Worcestershire".

9 hours ago, Spyder! said:

I must say, those late 1941, early 1942 books seem like they may just be the rarest.  Wonderworld 31 and Mystery Men 30 are both so awesome, and there are so few copies on the census.

Yes, I remember back in the 90's when almost all of the interest were focused primarily on the early Fox books with their noted classic covers.  Clearly not as much interest were on the later issues, but as time has gone on and with the CGC Census Population Report, it has become quite apparent that some of these later issues are actually the rarest and toughest of the lot to find.  (thumbsu

Not only are they truly rare, but they are also generally devoid of any in high grade save for the ones that have come out from the Edgar Church Collection.  Unlike the earlier Fox issues, virtually all of these later issues were also absent from both the Allenntown and Larson pedigree collections.  From my own personal point of view, the really truly rare and virtually impossible ones to find are the handful that were also absent from the Church pedigree collection itself.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

This would include the Mystery Men run from #21 to #23 and also the Wonderworld #24 & #25 as these particular issues have generally been absent from the marketplace save for the Jon Berk auction a few years back.  A perfect example here being this still highest graded copy of Wonderworld 24 at only CGC 5.5 with a total of only 6 copies graded to date including one in restored condition:  :luhv:

won3.310a.jpg

So, my advice to you if you are trying to complete a run of these later issues, you better grab them if one does come along because if you don't, you might not see another one for another decade or more.  hm   :takeit:

19 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

Thanks brother!!! Couldn’t agree more my man!!

it’s an amazing book inside and out!! My cover really does deserve a marriage the colors on it are blinding. I have the whole cover too front and back and it’s attached and supple. colors on this are not juiced it’s all just took this pic been sitting in a drawer for a few years waiting patiently! 

943D57DC-4B27-41D2-91F2-BC82450E5DCE.jpeg

There is no choice between only having the interior and only having the cover of this comic, especially one that looks as nice as that. As frustrating as it might be looking for an interior to marry, you already have 96% of the appeal even if it is technically only 6% of the book. A beauty.

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

My third Fox acquisition, Wonderworld Comics #7.  This is my very favorite Fox cover (although Fantastic 3 is pretty great too).

I feel very fortunate to have found a copy of this one that I could afford.  I'll have to remove the wrong back cover someday.

WW07.jpg

The man is a machine I tell you!

Woah, @Spyder! you are on a juggernaut like roll (worship)

34 minutes ago, sagii said:

The man is a machine I tell you!

Woah, @Spyder! you are on a juggernaut like roll (worship)

Thanks!  The crazy thing was, all three purchases happened in the same night!  I won the MM9 on Heritage, lost the MM2 so I grabbed the copy on eBay, then I saw that a WW7 had just been listed that afternoon, so I put in a best offer and got lucky. A very rough night for my wallet, but a very good one for the start of my Fox collection! 

6 hours ago, Spyder! said:

My third Fox acquisition, Wonderworld Comics #7.  This is my very favorite Fox cover (although Fantastic 3 is pretty great too).

I feel very fortunate to have found a copy of this one that I could afford.  I'll have to remove the wrong back cover someday.

WW07.jpg

Absolutely love it man CONGRATS!!!!

well done, spyder.  the books you grabbed ain't easy to get, and the grabbin' is gettin' harder, in my experience.  i'm now about a year removed from the last upgrade for my little fox run thru 7/40.   just about resigned to the notion of the group staying "as-is."  all my recent tries were blown out the water, and that applied equally to a church fantastic 8 and a mid-grade improvement on fantastic 7.   and those aren't even lou books [tho' i'm very fond of the joe books, as well].

here are the wonderworlds i'd like to post for sale in the market should nicer copies find their way to cajun country.

ww7.jpg

ww8.jpg

ww9.jpg

ww10.jpg

ww12.jpg

Edited by Straw-Man