• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Comics Appreciation Thread!
20 20

7,176 posts in this topic

The later Fox books are tough to find period. late 1941 and 1942

Since you are the acknowledged expert when it comes to the Fox books, would the early Fox books from 1939 & early 1940 be easier to find than these later Fox books from 1941 to '42? hm

Since you are the acknowledged expert when it comes to the Fox books, would the early Fox books from 1939 & early 1940 be easier to find than these later Fox books from 1941 to '42? hm

In my opinion yes.....Books like Weird 20 also.....

But see the Church list where some middle Fantastics do not exist....(as to being an "expert", I think not, just a guy who has spent alot of time putting the runs together). jb ( okay maybe I have learned a thing or two.......)

:cloud9:

In my opinion yes.....Books like Weird 20 also.....

But see the Church list where some middle Fantastics do not exist....(as to being an "expert", I think not, just a guy who has spent alot of time putting the runs together). jb ( okay maybe I have learned a thing or two.......)

Late 41' early 42' :cloud9: Sweet Eagles BTW and no need for modesty my friend you are the Expert!! (thumbs u

I'm totally thrilled about my **first** Fox Features comic book!!! The artist, the colors, the hypnotized x-ray see-through lady... what more could one ask for?!? (I suppose the obvious answer to that question would be Weird Comics #1.)

Thanks to Straw-Man for pointing me to this board.

weird_comics2_ht7_300dpi_8q_zps7zytwqv8.jpg

I'm totally thrilled about my **first** Fox Features comic book!!! The artist, the colors, the hypnotized x-ray see-through lady... what more could one ask for?!? (I suppose the obvious answer to that question would be Weird Comics #1.)

(thumbs u

A cool book congrats.

fabulous!

That's such a great book and cover. I have only have one Fox and it is a Weird #7 which I'm happy to have picked up and read at a WonderCon up in San Francisco a number of years ago.

The cover was disclosed as being cleaned but it sure makes the colors pop. I'd been thinking of selling this baby but every time I do something stops me!

163335.jpg.70cd6e1bccac8473b6a7367d786be25d.jpg

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

That's such a great book and cover. I have only have one Fox and it is a Weird #7 which I'm happy to have picked up and read at a WonderCon up in San Francisco a number of years ago.

The cover was disclosed as being cleaned but it sure makes the colors pop. I'd been thinking of selling this baby but every time I do something stops me!

Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic comments. The interior cover has tape on it, but heck, at least it's not falling apart!

I love that Weird #7. I agree, the colors really glow. The Sorceress of Zoom mini-caption on the bottom left of the cover caught my eye. Here's what I learned about her from Toonopedia:

Cartoonist Don Rico's The Sorceress of Zoom started out as a villain protagonist like Jack Cole's The Claw or Bert Whitman's Dr. Mortal. She had more in common with the latter than that — in fact, they both started in the same comic book, Fox's Weird Comics #1 (April, 1940), which also carried the debuts of several superheroes, such as Thor and The Bird Man. The Sorceress came equipped with two heroic but otherwise normal people named Tom and Janice, to oppose her nefarious schemes.

But after a couple of issues, the Sorceress became more-or-less a good guy, albeit an ambiguous one like The Sub-Mariner. Wherever she stood on the good/evil spectrum (sometimes she wanted to conquer the non-magical world; other times that was a lower priority for her), she ruled the cloud city of Zoom, which came and went throughout the mortal realm, at her command. The quasi-human creatures living in the city seemed to be her creations.

The Sorceress's own creation was credited to a "Sandra Swift", undoubtedly a house name. In reality, her earliest adventures were drawn and probably written by Don Rico, a prolific comics creator of the 1940s and early '50s with credits not just at Fox, but also at Lev Gleason (Daredevil, The Silver Streak), Marvel (Red Raven, The Human Torch) and elsewhere. He returned to the field decades later.

The Sorceress of Zoom never had her own title, a spin-off in non-comics media, or a set of Underoos. She spent her entire career in the back pages of Weird Comics, emerging onto the cover only once (#4, July 1940). Inside, she hung around until the end, which came with #20 (January, 1942).

Wow!! Beautiful copy of a tough book. Congrats. :applause:

Great book, I'm certain a few of us fox fans were bidding on it, wish I had bid more.

Great book, I'm certain a few of us fox fans were bidding on it, wish I had bid more.

Beautiful book!! and WTTBs!! :applause:

You CAN'T sell because you're still waitin on that free bottle of Kooba!!! Awesome book Minh!!!!