• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Writing on a Mid Grade Book What does it do to grade?

5 posts in this topic

HI all,

What does writing do to the grade of a book in around F - F+? Looking at 2 Early FF's 23 & 26, and on both there is in blue pen some writing that says something like 511/12 (5 could be an s cant tell).

On the 23 its right on the F on top where it says fantastic four, right on the top of the F. On the other its above the F on the very top of the book not written in the title at all.

Otherwise both books are around a F - F+ or so. Does that writing take the grade down a notch considering its, I guess, not really a date stamp?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No, I don't think that the writing takes anything away from the grade, especially on the mid grade books that you just described. There are even instances of high grade "pedigree" books where there was certainly some neatly written pen marks on the cover, and it didn't seem to affect the value.

Now that being said, many people will not buy high grade books with date stamps and pencil/pen dates and other things kinds of small marks... even if they're cgc'd.

On a fine/fine plus, as long as it's small and generally neat, no, I wouldn't downgrade that book at all.

It depends...on whether it was someone like Povertyrow writing his initials on one of his midgrade horror books...or if was little Greggy writing his name with a big red crayon on his "Forbidden Love" books...the latter would result in a downgrade... wink.gif

It depends...on whether it was someone like Povertyrow writing his initials on one of his midgrade horror books...or if was little Greggy writing his name with a big red crayon on his "Forbidden Love" books...the latter would result in a downgrade... wink.gif

I use a soft pencil with little pressure. Look for the "POV" in the most obscure part of the book! wink.gif