• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Obadiah Oldbuck vs. Superman

2,012 posts in this topic

Actually October, I have no desire for a Action #1. To be honest I would rather have a #2, #3 or #4 for that matter. Heck, even Detective #1 beats Action #1 out. But if one dropped into my hands, I would suppose I could sell it and get any one of those books.

I wasn't being literal, just a little hyperbole to make a point. gossip.gif

All things being equal, I would rather have a Detective 1 as well. thumbsup2.gif

1) I hate responding to a shill

2) I bet I can find a coin that's more valuable than the oldest known coin without much difficulty. I bet I can find a stamp that's more valuable than the oldest known stamp without much difficulty. I know I can find a baseball card that's more valuable than the oldest known baseball card.

3) Obidiah Oldbook isn't a comic book, so your entire point is moot.

4) Shut up, shill.

original art has unlimited potential, and is a facinating segment of the comic world. Each piece is a one of a kind, and the demand is obviously high and growing. Original comic art --- the sky is the limit...but it's no Obadiah Oldbuck !

But poor Obadiah, he gets no love. Remember that rarity doesn't necessarily mean value. So it really does go back to demand. Too man people with lots of money to burn, wanting a book that their just aren't enough of.

here we go again with the " obadiah oldbuck isn't a comic book" garbage.

Obadiah Oldbuck has sequential drawings by a comic artist, and tells a story with words within each panel. it is made of paper and has a spine, a front cover, and a back cover.......what do you think it is, a lawnmower ????

the oldest coins are the most valuable. The oldest stamps are the most valuable. the oldest baseball cards are the most valuable.

The time is coming soon when the oldest comic books will also be the most valuable...it is inevitable. All undervalued markets correct themselves at some point. Obadiah Oldbuck will surface as the Declaration of Independance of the US comic marketplace

Yeah... I doubt that. It's a fine piece of history and all. But, it doesn't have the lineage, the recognition, the continuity. Could you see a Nick Cage or someone with unlimited resources pursuing an Oldbuck because it has a sense of nostalgia or history for him? It will never surpass an Action 1, because part of the appeal of the Action 1 is based on nostalgia and the personal history each of us has with the character.

There are many comics which are older. I collect Plat books, because I love comic strips. I have little interest in Victorian books because they don't represent the same thing to me. You have to have the collector's mentality of a historian to pursue the pre-Plat stuff.

I agree 100% with Krazy Kaaaaa................I mean Showcase-4. I am completely convinced that the entire Platinum Age and Victorian Age market is grossly undervalued, and due for a major price correction in the very near future. As an investor, once this realization hit home, that was it for me. I am going to buy up every key book from this 95 year period I can possibly afford and find, and there will be a day in my lifetime when this vision becomes true, and today's $10,000 Platinum Age key will be tomorrow's $100,000 rare and high demand treasure. Obadiah Oldbuck is tomorrows Action Comics #1, and Comic Monthly #1 by Embee is tomorrow's Famous Funnies Series 1.

Now where did I put my crack rock?

the oldest coins are the most valuable. The oldest stamps are the most valuable. the oldest baseball cards are the most valuable.

The time is coming soon when the oldest comic books will also be the most valuable...it is inevitable. All undervalued markets correct themselves at some point. Obadiah Oldbuck will surface as the Declaration of Independance of the US comic marketplace

1. Wrong: The most valuable coin in the world is the 1933 Double Eagle, a $20-gold coin which was auctioned at Sotheby's, New York, USA on July 30, 2002 and fetched $7,590,020 (£4,856,370) including buyer's premium.

2. Wrong: The most valuable stamp in the world is the 1867 U.S. Franklin Z-Grill, which just traded for $3 million (four inverted Jenny stamps, plus cash). (The record cash price was paid for the 1855 Sweden Three Skilling Banco, Yellow Color Error, sold to an anonymous collector for $2.3 million at auction in 1996).

3. Wrong: The most valuable baseball card in the world is the 1909 T206 White Border #366 Honus Wagner. The last recorded auction price for a Wagner T206 was $92,256 for a PR 1.0 in 2003, with a N-MT 8.0 slabbed one selling for 1.265 million in 2000.

In my pocket RIGHT NOW is a penny from 1918. By your reasoning, I'm a wealthy man. thumbsup2.gif

I hate responding to a shill

gossip.gifI don't think he's a shill. I've bought stuff from him on ebay

2) I bet I can find a coin that's more valuable than the oldest known coin without much difficulty.

The 1933 double eagle and 1913 Liberty nickle come to mind. Or in the case of my (other) collecting interest, Russian coins, the Constantine Ruble is worth considerably more than the earliest Russian coins...

IMO, Obiadiah Oldbuck is a very interesting museum piece but will never generate the demand that the first appearance of one of the 20th century's cultural icons will. Therefore the order of magnitude difference in price.

From the AP

"Flyntheart Glumgold buys error stamp of Jebidiah Springfield for record price of 4.4 Million"

Eat that Action 1 and Obadiah.

And somewhere Scrooge is laughing.

1. Wrong: The most valuable coin in the world is the 1933 Double Eagle, a $20-gold coin which was auctioned at Sotheby's, New York, USA on July 30, 2002 and fetched $7,590,020 (£4,856,370) including buyer's premium.

2. Wrong: The most valuable stamp in the world is the 1867 U.S. Franklin Z-Grill, which just traded for $3 million (four inverted Jenny stamps, plus cash). (The record cash price was paid for the 1855 Sweden Three Skilling Banco, Yellow Color Error, sold to an anonymous collector for $2.3 million at auction in 1996).

3. Wrong: The most valuable baseball card in the world is the 1909 T206 White Border #366 Honus Wagner. The last recorded auction price for a Wagner T206 was $92,256 for a PR 1.0 in 2003, with a N-MT 8.0 slabbed one selling for 1.265 million in 2000.

In my pocket RIGHT NOW is a penny from 1918. By your reasoning, I'm a wealthy man. thumbsup2.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

hail.gif THANK YOU DONUT hail.gif

So to all of you I pose the question:

Why is Action Comics #1 a $200,000 comic book, and Obadiah Oldbuck a $20,000 comic book? What do you think?

Action Comics 1938 approx 80-150? copies exist 1st Superman

Obadiah Oldbuck 1842 approx. 8 copies exist 1st US comic book

Perhaps because it's a reprint and the general lack of awareness of the character outside serious comics scholars.