• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Mad #18

17 posts in this topic

Just got this back from a dealer and am not really happy with the book. Looking for a few opinions on grade and what may have happened to this book. The spine is really rough, almost looks chewed, but none of the abrasion goes all the way through the paper.

picture of spine

picture001.jpg

picture002.jpg

Maybe a 7.0,but white books are hard to nail from a scan.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

The only noteworthy defects on the cover is the ink smear near the top staple and 3 or 4 small pin sized dents near the bottom of the cover which are visible in the spine picture. But the ugly spine . . . :/

If I were to venture a guess,the seller called it an 8.5 ?GOD BLESS...

Well, actually . . . The book was listed as an 8.5, but when I called the seller to ask for a description of it he pulled it and said that he had graded it (and priced it) a long time ago and that he would call it an 8.0 today. I've had good look with this seller in the past, though.

This is just my opinion,but a VF book should be a NM copy with slightly rounded corners and a few spine stresses.That spine would disqualify that one.It is a nice book,but doesn't fit the bill for what you've been looking for on your want list.I'd probably try to get a refund,since you've dealt with him before.Those Mad's are tough to find in 8.0.The Gaines file copies give the illusion of high grade abundance but it just ain't so.I always feel awkward asking for a refund,but it's gotten easier over time.GOD BLESS...

p.s.that's why I stick to CGC on 8.0 and above,I can always pop the slab.

This is just my opinion,but a VF book should be a NM copy with slightly rounded corners and a few spine stresses.That spine would disqualify that one.It is a nice book,but doesn't fit the bill for what you've been looking for on your want list.I'd probably try to get a refund,since you've dealt with him before.Those Mad's are tough to find in 8.0.The Gaines file copies give the illusion of high grade abundance but it just ain't so.I always feel awkward asking for a refund,but it's gotten easier over time.GOD BLESS...

p.s.that's why I stick to CGC on 8.0 and above,I can always pop the slab.

You're right about the gaines file copies. If I wanted a 9.2+ 1-23 collection I could do it in the timespan of 2 or 3 heritage auctions (uh, if i could afford it!). VF and better non-gaines are very hard to come by. But slowly but surely I'm finding them smirk.gif

I'm going to be asking for a refund on this one.

re cgc on 8.0 and above: I'm really starting to feel the same way.

Thanks for your input and advice, it's appreciated.

Looks like a pretty nice copy from the scans . . . can't really tell anything from your photo of the spine. The weakest part appears to be above the staple on the BC? Correct?

I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection, but I'm assuming you are unhappy due to the price you paid for what you got . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How much???

Looks like a pretty nice copy from the scans . . . can't really tell anything from your photo of the spine. The weakest part appears to be above the staple on the BC? Correct?

I wouldn't mind adding it to my collection, but I'm assuming you are unhappy due to the price you paid for what you got . . . 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

How much???

Did you click the link to check out the photo of the spine?

I paid 275 for the book, which is not a horrible price for what I got, but I'm really unhappy because it's not the grade I wanted. Which means I have to buy the book again.

Looks like a nice $200 copy.I did notice that with the exception of the Gaines File copies, the Metropolis inventory stops at around Fine for most of the run.GOD BLESS...

How much???

Did you click the link to check out the photo of the spine?

I paid 275 for the book, which is not a horrible price for what I got, but I'm really unhappy because it's not the grade I wanted. Which means I have to buy the book again.

Uh, did you read my post? confused-smiley-013.gif $275 looks close to guide for a tough book to find in FN/VF or better, and I think it's probably a FN/VF. Welcome to the vast world of collector's disappointment - it could have been a lot worse. wink.gif

Uh, did you read my post? confused-smiley-013.gif $275 looks close to guide for a tough book to find in FN/VF or better, and I think it's probably a FN/VF. Welcome to the vast world of collector's disappointment - it could have been a lot worse. wink.gif

No, but I MISread it, does that count?

yay.gif

No, but I MISread it, does that count?

yay.gif

yay.gifyay.gif Good luck with the return . . . If he doesn't take it back, I'll cut your losses in half . . . grin.gif