• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best tape for Mylites?

71 posts in this topic

magic tape

I always place the comic in the bag so the flap is on the bottom. When I place the comic in the box, it always folds the mylite correctly, no bent corners on the bag. It gives a nice appearance on the top of the box too.

I have done the same thing since I started collecting...an old timer told me this was the way to do it. I have been scolded over and over again for doing it this way, but like it for the same reasons...

Also, I think it was Buck who got me started on this, but they have the 3 different color post it note tabs, about 1 inch across. They seal the book nice and come off with no residue. I have moved to that for my more expensive books.

You do not need tape.

Mylite-1s, just crease and tuck the flaps.

Same on Mylite-2s, but you need to clip the sides of the flap so it fits in the bag properly when tucked. You can do the same on the 1's but the effect of not doing so is less pronounced.

You do not need tape.

Mylite-1s, just crease and tuck the flaps.

Same on Mylite-2s, but you need to clip the sides of the flap so it fits in the bag properly when tucked. You can do the same on the 1's but the effect of not doing so is less pronounced.

I was wondering if CKB would chime in on his method. After reading a similiar taping thread many moons ago, I knew him without an introduction when I overheard him describe his clipping technique at a local show. "That dude's on the CGC boards!" grin.gif

I'm too lazy to clip, especially since I occasionally get a batch of boards or bags that don't fit, and have to trim the boards one by one with a carpet knife. Its 3/4" Scotch Magic Invisible Green Tape for me.

I use OfficeMax tape. Their store brand is stupidly cheap, and it tears cleanly. My tape is about 3/4" in from the edge of the Mylite2, so when I want to get into a book I just pull the corner of the Mylite back and it severs the tape cleanly in half. Absolutely no chance of a tape pull.

The problem I have run into with Magic tape and the regular Scotch brand is that after a while they sometimes get more elastic, and it's a pain in the butt trying to take off tape once it goes "stretchy" on you. I want my tape as inelastic as possible so it severs with no overhang at all.

At my peak, I was spending upwards of $120 a month on tape for regular bagging and boarding. I switched to the store brand to save money, and got a pleasant surprise when I saw how well it works on Mylars...

If the question refers to the 1mil Mylites, I have no advice whatsoever. I hate them crinkly bastiches...

Unbelievable! sumo.gif

Use 3M post-its - far superior sumo.gifsumo.gif

182465A1.GIF

Without a doubt, post-its, or flags as they are sometimes called. Tape and mylar/mylite just do not go together IMO. These are super easy to remove, though more expensive. 2nd choice is no tape at all. sumo.gif

Wow, so many suggestions for tape. 27_laughing.gif You guys are nerds.

I just use regular scotch tape. I tape the flap down with the tape horizontal, so that you just "break the seal" to avoid tape damage to a comic. Then just put another piece of tape to reseal on top of the old tape.

A thread on tape. A new low. 27_laughing.gif

I also just use regular scotch tape. I forced myself to remove the tape completely from the bag and put it elsewhere when removing the book, and now it's just second nature and I do it without thinking. Never had a tape snag and I never will.