• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post your suggestions for a "forum guidelines" post to be stickied at the top.

397 posts in this topic

I'm not in favour of a minimum post count to qualify for selling. In my experience of other forums such criteria just leads to pointless spamming as people reply to every post with a pointless graphic or comment, in order to get the threshold up.

a 'time' threshold would be a better option and it should be set at something like a month, that's enough to deter the casual spammers.

but hey, I'm a low post count newbie, so I'm bound to say that aren't I

• Administrator

1. It would be possible to require both a time and post count minimum.

2. It would be possible to allow everyone to REPLY to threads, but only those who pass the minimum requirements to be able to post.

I'm not saying we WANT to do that. Just outlining options.

oh and as an aside, i don't really want n00bs doing all that much selling. just as i don't want people signing up just to spam the Ebay board with their junk, i don't want a bunch of people signing up here to troll the marketplace and snag all the good deals that are there. i like to think of the marketplace as a place for people who have established themselves a bit, and as such would be familiar with how to conduct business in an ethical fashion without a ton of rules

I agree with this, I'm not that worried about newbies snagging all the good deals, but I am worried about the boards becoming a sort of dumping ground for people that just post the same list of unsellable junk week after week or put something up for sale that's simultaneously been put up on number of other sites, in newsgroups, on eBay etc...

Chromium's comment is right on; Sal and TopoftheTotem's (not quoted) is problematical for me. I haven't been here long, but made a fair amount of purchases before I hit 200 posts. Quantity isn't necessarily a yardstick for quality. I have no good suggestion to avoid the type of problem posting mentioned, but I don't think an amount of posts or length as a member qualification is the solution.

another option is a sponsor, but i suspect this would really be problematical from an implementation standpoint, and require a lot of extra work for Arch and the mods.

if not, it would go something like the following; a new member, after a set period of time, perhaps a month or so, would ask two members in good standing to essentially vouch for them.

the two members, if they agree, would pm Arch - or some other mechanism that allows for the "buy and sell in Marketplace" tag be set to 1 or however Arch does the magick in the database - stating they vouch for the person in question.

i don't really care if a n00b comes in and starts buying per se...what i don't want to see is a bunch of people creating accounts for the sole purpose of buying or selling, especially the latter. it would violate the community spirit of the boards imho

Its not really broken so don't fix it with a full bag of unforeseen and unintended consequences. Self policing works best. Once CGC starts policing any rules then they become the enforcers which leads to whining about favoritisms etc.

Caveate Emptor, Lassaiz fare, The Golden Rule, and Miss Manners should be our guides.

Ed

Its not really broken so don't fix it with a full bag of unforeseen and unintended consequences. Self policing works best. Once CGC starts policing any rules then they become the enforcers which leads to whining about favoritisms etc.

Caveate Emptor, Lassaiz fare, The Golden Rule, and Miss Manners should be our guides.

Ed

It's pretty clear by now that we need a committee to research and discuss this and draw up some formal reccomendations - who wants to be on the Nominating Committee to put forward candidates for the Forum Selling Guidelines Research Committee's membership? confused-smiley-013.gif

Well said. I really enjoy the marketplace and hope it doesn't become too over regulated. Everyone i have dealt with there has helpful and prompt with well graded and well packaged items. I'd love to see it stay this way

Ed

I ditto ft88's statment....I'll add the Beatles as another guideline..."Let it Be, Let it Be"

People can resolve their differences without committees, big brother, brother eye, or any other brother from another mother.

1. It would be possible to require both a time and post count minimum.

2. It would be possible to allow everyone to REPLY to threads, but only those who pass the minimum requirements to be able to post.

I'm not saying we WANT to do that. Just outlining options.

Honestly, I agree when people say it aint really broke. But it is BIGGER then it used to be, and that means Marketplace will probably only continue to grow. So I for one would not mind a set of rules, or guidlines to be there for all to see.

I think new or old members should be allowed to use Marketplace as long as they read the rules, and check a box that says they read them before they are allowed to buy or sell anything. Simple

The Marketplace isn't a right, it's a privilage. Everyone(especially newer members) being on the same page can only help keep the ship sailing smoothly as it goes out into deeper water.

In the end it isnt a big deal, a few recent bad events was what brough this all up in the first place, I realize those were the exception rather then the norm.

Ze-

Ze-

It's not a big deal but...

the bad transactions is one aspect of what we want to avoid -- but I think your original idea of containing these disputes to the marketplace is a good one.

But I think there were disputes that weren't aired out publicly before and if that remained the case and they could be worked out that way, then that would be fine.

Now in some respects, it will just mean you deal with the same people who have had success with before: the banners, the nikos, the donuts and all the other ones who have consistent track records...

I just realized that I haven't bought anything from eBay(except one pending item)in a LONG time.It's all been board members for a while now with zero complaints.In fact,the prices are more often less than what I would have been willing to pay.I definitely see the forum marketplace in a growth mode.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I couldn't believe the low prices on ft88's portfolios and Paperheart hooked me up with one of my grails("tec 400)in record time,less than one week from payment mailed to book received from California.What can I say confused-smiley-013.gif

I ditto ft88's statment....I'll add the Beatles as another guideline..."Let it Be, Let it Be"

People can resolve their differences without committees, big brother, brother eye, or any other brother from another mother.

hail.gif

I just realized that I haven't bought anything from eBay(except one pending item)in a LONG time.It's all been board members for a while now with zero complaints.In fact,the prices are more often less than what I would have been willing to pay.I definitely see the forum marketplace in a growth mode.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s. I couldn't believe the low prices on ft88's portfolios and Paperheart hooked me up with one of my grails("tec 400)in record time,less than one week from payment mailed to book received from California.What can I say confused-smiley-013.gif

Hmmmm......CGCBay!!!!

1. No low post # sellers (100-200 post?? before you can buy or sell.)

I think it would be better if it was time over post count for 2 reasons.

1. I remember people would post for bascially no reason of the CPG message baord just to up their post count and look important. If people come here and see a post count rule some may start posting like Greggy. poke2.gif

It only took Deathlock about hlaf an hour to get over 50 posts shortly before he was banned by wishing people happy birthday and giving his opinion in the grading forum.

2. There are some great posters on the board who ahve been around for years but only post when they have somehitng imprtant to say, and their post count is only several hundred.

1. No low post # sellers (100-200 post?? before you can buy or sell.)

I think it would be better if it was time over post count for 2 reasons.

1. I remember people would post for bascially no reason of the CPG message baord just to up their post count and look important. If people come here and see a post count rule some may start posting like Greggy. poke2.gif

It only took Deathlock about hlaf an hour to get over 50 posts shortly before he was banned by wishing people happy birthday and giving his opinion in the grading forum.

2. There are some great posters on the board who ahve been around for years but only post when they have somehitng imprtant to say, and their post count is only several hundred.

Screw U sumo.gif

J/k flowerred.gif I just think people should spend some time in the community before selling books. to learn the proper way of going about things.

I'm kind of new here, so my current rule is find out what people's reps are by seeing what other people post about them, eventually build up trust (mutually) by buying some cheap stuff first, and vice versa. It's a community, we should treat it as such.....

Matt flowerred.gif

I've been on this site for almost a year now and have enjoyed buying expertly graded comics from great people. Lately, I've this trend towards newbies jumping on and selling not-so-great stuff.

Just recently I read a post from Comicseekers about a new poster selling item. Comicseekers made mention of posting some of the sellers stuff on in the "Grade my..." forum. I think this is a pretty good idea. We are a community, and to some extent, a brotherhood. Many of the people on here can grade dead on. They can get a sense of legitimacy, and let these people come into the fold.

So maybe having people post some of their stuff in that forum first could be one approach?

oh and as an aside, i don't really want n00bs doing all that much selling. just as i don't want people signing up just to spam the Ebay board with their junk, i don't want a bunch of people signing up here to troll the marketplace and snag all the good deals that are there. i like to think of the marketplace as a place for people who have established themselves a bit, and as such would be familiar with how to conduct business in an ethical fashion without a ton of rules

I agree with this, I'm not that worried about newbies snagging all the good deals, but I am worried about the boards becoming a sort of dumping ground for people that just post the same list of unsellable junk week after week or put something up for sale that's simultaneously been put up on number of other sites, in newsgroups, on eBay etc...

Chromium's comment is right on; Sal and TopoftheTotem's (not quoted) is problematical for me. I haven't been here long, but made a fair amount of purchases before I hit 200 posts. Quantity isn't necessarily a yardstick for quality. I have no good suggestion to avoid the type of problem posting mentioned, but I don't think an amount of posts or length as a member qualification is the solution.

another option is a sponsor, but i suspect this would really be problematical from an implementation standpoint, and require a lot of extra work for Arch and the mods.

if not, it would go something like the following; a new member, after a set period of time, perhaps a month or so, would ask two members in good standing to essentially vouch for them.

the two members, if they agree, would pm Arch - or some other mechanism that allows for the "buy and sell in Marketplace" tag be set to 1 or however Arch does the magick in the database - stating they vouch for the person in question.

i don't really care if a n00b comes in and starts buying per se...what i don't want to see is a bunch of people creating accounts for the sole purpose of buying or selling, especially the latter. it would violate the community spirit of the boards imho

Wish I'd read this thread Thursday before I started what ended up being a fairly unproductive thread on the same topic Friday. Regardless of how good an idea it may be to impose qualifications on sellers in the Marketplace, it doesn't seem to be an idea that's easy to sell to the entire board population.

I like the idea of sponsorship, although it's execution may be problematic.

Another idea that just came to me (so I haven't thought it out fully and and am just throwing it out there) that may help a little is an icon-activated option in the Marketplace that enables one to order the list of threads of, say from the past week, based on the post number of the person who started the thread. It could be a "step" function such that posters with greater than (say) 500 get listed first in order of most recent post (not by absolute post number, we don't need another incentive for emoticon posts), then those 100-500 same way, then those less than 100. Because it is an option it does not automatically impose restrictions/limitations on newbies. No explicit judgments on the quality or security of auctions based on these sort preferences, just greater control of browsing. Indeed, those who prefer newbie posts could be directed to them more readily.

Probably something wrong with this idea, but maybe it will initiate another or more refined idea that will help improve the Marketplace.