• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Re:Trying again............................

225 posts in this topic

in the legal world two spaces after a period is still mandatory practice in most circles.

HA! yay.gif

Actually, this is the first I've ever heard of one space after periods. After Googling it, I see you're right. However, my point is still valid, that zero spacing doesn't help one's credibility.

Actually, this is the first I've ever heard of one space after periods. After Googling it, I see you're right.

No worries, and my public school English teacher taught me that "two spaces" typewriter method too, and I assume it's still being taught by some crusty old crones, somewhere.

But no one actually uses it for print media these days, the vast majority of teachers don't use it, and it's not needed for anything outside of arcane legal, political or accounting practices that pre-date the Roman Empire. 27_laughing.gif

(And it's one space after a comma, and two after a period. Makes you look smarter.)

Sweet, now I can look smarter. thumbsup2.gif

Yeesh, that "two spaces after a period" was from the old typewriter days, and current fonts have deleted that requirement decades ago. I mean, open a book - one space, read a magazine - one space.

If you want to look like an old fogey, feel free to insert two "typewriter spaces" after each sentence. 27_laughing.gif

JC's right on this one. The two space thing is left over from fixed width typefaces. All of the professional DTP programs now automatically remove all but one space after a period. In fact this board does that same thing, see. I just inserted 10 spaces and they were removed (but that's really more a function of UBB than anything else).

JC's right on this one. The two space thing is left over from fixed width typefaces. All of the professional DTP programs now automatically remove all but one space after a period. In fact this board does that same thing, see. I just inserted 10 spaces and they were removed (but that's really more a function of UBB than anything else).

I always figured the space thing was just UBB stuff too.

I write technical reports on a daily basis and always have and will continue to insert two spaces. When typing on this board I type in two spaces...even when I know they'll delete one of them.

Habits are hard to break.

Maybe I should apply for a government grant for the study of this "illness". tongue.gif

The WP at my prior office autocorrected if we didn't have 2 spaces. Really annoying too, especially the autocorrect that turned "©" into a copyright symbol that seemed impossible to turn off.

Dear Sharoch;

I don't make exceptions for the "no pick up under any circumstances" rule-I made that rule after the last local people whom I allowed to come to my place for a sale of a large set of graphic novels I once had tried to rob me at knifepoint.The only reason it didn't get really ugly was that I was smart enough to have 5 friends standing by just in case.After that,I said to hell with it.I'm sure you're a good guy with good intentions-but I'm just really skittish about this.We WILL be able to negotiate the shipping fee,though-let's see how the auction goes.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

This is REALLY going to hurt your chances for selling these books. When other forumites vouch for someone(like Sharoch), you should at least meet them at a nearby neutral site. I don't even know Sharoch(hello Sharoch!) but I know I would gladly welcome Sharoch to come over my place and look any books that I was selling.

I think you should reconsider this "no pick up under any circumstances" and make a few exceptions...that is if you want to sell these books! Just my HYWO.

Dear Sharoch;

Andrew L.

This is REALLY going to hurt your chances for selling these books. When other forumites vouch for someone(like Sharoch), you should at least meet them at a nearby neutral site. I don't even know Sharoch(hello Sharoch!) but I know I would gladly welcome Sharoch to come over my place and look any books that I was selling.

I think you should reconsider this "no pick up under any circumstances" and make a few exceptions...that is if you want to sell these books! Just my HYWO.

27_laughing.gif

As I read this it keeps sounding like(Sharoch)Chirac, as in Jacques Chirac.....

in my communiques with Shad, I've never envision him as being a limpwristed Sharoch(no offense to Osborne-France). Maybe he better not meet Shad in public!!!!!!

Dear Sellers;

I'm just scared of getting taken to the cleaners.This is 25 years of my life here,most of it my childhood.It hurts enough to get rid of them as is.If someone walks away with that cruel grin anyone who's done any kind of buisness and got taken has seen with peanuts in my hand,it'll KILL me.

You guys all had a laugh at my expense and I guess I had it coming.But I'm doing the best I can to protect my investment.That's all there is to it.

I WILL seriously reconsider my local buyer policy.And I'll do it fast.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Dear Sellers;

I'm just scared of getting taken to the cleaners.This is 25 years of my life here,most of it my childhood.It hurts enough to get rid of them as is.If someone walks away with that cruel grin anyone who's done any kind of buisness and got taken has seen with peanuts in my hand,it'll KILL me.

You guys all had a laugh at my expense and I guess I had it coming.But I'm doing the best I can to protect my investment.That's all there is to it.

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Just keep them, Andrew. Obviously, they mean alot to you. You're only willing to part with them for an amount that you are just not going get. Keep them and continue enjoying them. thumbsup2.gif

Dear Sellers;

Sincerely,

Andrew L.

Just keep them, Andrew. Obviously, they mean alot to you. You're only willing to part with them for an amount that you are just not going get. Keep them and continue enjoying them. thumbsup2.gif

Excellent advice. Aside from selling them at an actual market value that he just cannot come to terms with, keeping them is definitely his best (and only) option. confused-smiley-013.gif

Just by seeing how they have been kept, I doubt this auction will even break $100 a long box.

DSC02230.jpg

foreheadslap.gif

If any of those are MINT I'll eat my freakin' shorts! tongue.gif

These aren't the real thing they are just a decoy just incase that big bad man comes back with his pocket knife.

Just by seeing how they have been kept, I doubt this auction will even break $100 a long box.

DSC02230.jpg

foreheadslap.gif

If any of those are MINT I'll eat my freakin' shorts! tongue.gif

These aren't the real thing they are just a decoy just incase that big bad man comes back with his pocket knife.

Yes, I am sure they are all scattered so that it will take more time to steal them. With all that time, he will be able to cast his spell of protection.

I think in that picture I can almost see the smoke damage from the fire that damaged the other auction items.

Yes, I am sure they are all scattered so that it will take more time to steal them. With all that time, he will be able to cast his spell of protection.

I think in that picture I can almost see the smoke damage from the fire that damaged the other auction items.

I do feel bad for the guy. I've seen it before. Friends have had me appraise their basketball card collections, after telling me they hope to retire on them. And you see them, and they're 1990 Hoops sets and Danny Ferry rookie cards (translation: 5¢ cards). Even Shaq and David Robinson rookies, which once booked for $50 and they think have only increased in value since then, are $10 cards at best. I hate to break the news to them.

This is a similar situation. The guy has $500, maybe $1000 worth of comics which he's collected over 25 years. His whole life, he's looked forward to selling them for a large amount. He's probably been thinking $10,000 or maybe $15,000, but decided to be "realistic" and list them for $6500 for a quick sale. Then he posts on here, and gets ridiculed.

On the same note, he should see it from our perspective. Many of the members of this forum (myself NOT included) are high rollers, who deal in high quality comics. Then someone with 1 post comes on here, peddling $800 of mid-grade common comics for $6500.

I can see both sides.

I do feel bad for the guy. I've seen it before. Friends have had me appraise their basketball card collections, after telling me they hope to retire on them.

I can hardly wait for another 10 years to pass, and have these same "types" ask me what their CGC comics are worth. 27_laughing.gif