• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

I bet the older artists must have gotten REALLY good at drawing bowlers, newsies & fedoras!  Do you see many people just randomly wearing hats in 'contemporary' comics?  Just the odd baseball cap I'm guessing?

Edited by StreetPreacher

15 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Even if you're intent on having your books in CGC slabs, you would presumably be better off with the CBCS 9.4 because you can submit it for crossover grading.  Your chances of it coming back below 9.0 would be vanishingly small -- most likely you'd get a CGC 9.2+.

Every CBCS book I have submitted have come back from CGC at least 1-2 full grades higher. All early ASM'S in high grade 

On 8/25/2020 at 6:21 PM, Jordysnordy said:

Correction THIS is the biggest stunner of the night $60K :whatthe:

C55BC248-7FD5-42AF-9C19-55E9AA033A64.jpeg

Wonder who snagged this one, it did not go to whom I thought it would darn it as I really wanted his undercopy. But they got sniped , which is astonishing considering his collection

I will be curious to see if we have another contender in this market or if its one of the usual suspects

5 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Here you go!  Both for sale at a local shop for the EXACT same price! Also just noticed that one is direct and the other is UPC, but not sure that makes any difference for this issue? And since it now costs $55 to submit a book to CGC through the LCS, the cost of the actual book could be considered to only be costing you ~$20! lol 

Of course, even if I had a 9.8 copy of this, I'm not sure i'd bother having it slabbed, but since I need this book, and someone has already paid to have it done...  I was also planning to ask the seller if the 'dust'? visible at the bottom of the 'A' in the title is on the shell, of if it's a blemish on the actual book...  As far as I can tell, both issues have been sitting around for a couple of months at least, so it seems not many people want to pay extra to get a graded copy of this.

ASM298CGC.jpg

AMASM-298_CBCS.jpg

ICE is a local shop?  Let me know how that ASM 10 9.6 looks in hand, if the L was a little more visible it would be off the market ;P 

2 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

ICE is a local shop?  Let me know how that ASM 10 9.6 looks in hand, if the L was a little more visible it would be off the market ;P 

Sort of, They don't exactly have their own storefront, but they're closely associated with my LCS, which I think is the location that you'll see if you search for the address on the ICE website..  They don't keep all of the slabs in the store, but you can pick up orders at the store.  I think a lot of their stuff is on consignment, but next time I'm there I'll check if they have ASM 10 on display.

Edited by StreetPreacher

5 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

Every CBCS book I have submitted have come back from CGC at least 1-2 full grades higher. All early ASM'S in high grade 

Those are great results.  I've generally gotten the same grade or maybe one grade lower (a 9.6 came back 9.4).  I think the chances of a CBCS 9.4 coming back CGC 9.0 are extremely slim.

I know this is more of a bronze or copper question but thinking about reacquiring a copy of ASM 238 and thought I would talk to my fellow Spidey collectors.  What grade should I be looking at for resale down the road?  I'm not looking to necessarily make money but want to be able to resell it if necessary.

3 hours ago, piper said:

I know this is more of a bronze or copper question but thinking about reacquiring a copy of ASM 238 and thought I would talk to my fellow Spidey collectors.  What grade should I be looking at for resale down the road?  I'm not looking to necessarily make money but want to be able to resell it if necessary.

It’s still a relatively “modern” book for me, so I would only buy a 9.8