• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Not for me Sr and Jr are Def on my top artist list on spidey that is.

My top four Spider-Man artists (in chronological order) are Ditko, Romita Sr, Frenz, and Romita Jr, although I am not sure of the order with Frenz and Romita Jr. I have to be honest - I prefer Romita Sr, as those are the books that I read as I was growing up. Which other artists should I consider?

Edited by Math Teacher

That is a hard question. As there has been so many greats on the title from 60s to present. But ya jrsr, jrjr are up there for me then like you frenz, saviuk, bagley, McFarlane are some more I really like. For me I started collecting full time around 99/00 so was jrjr my time frame and others. But going through classic stuff there is so many good artists.

6 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

My top four Spider-Man artists (in chronological order) are Ditko, Romita Sr, Frenz, and Romita Jr, although I am not sure of the order with Frenz and Romita Jr. I have to be honest - I prefer Romita Sr, as those are the books that I read as I was growing up. Which other artists should I consider?

Andru

6 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

That is a hard question. As there has been so many greats on the title from 60s to present. But ya jrsr, jrjr are up there for me then like you frenz, saviuk, bagley, McFarlane are some more I really like. For me I started collecting full time around 99/00 so was jrjr my time frame and others. But going through classic stuff there is so many good artists.

How could I not name McFarlane? I must have been having a minor stroke during my posting of that message.

1 hour ago, Math Teacher said:

How could I not name McFarlane? I must have been having a minor stroke during my posting of that message.

MacFarlane is definitely the first one who came to mind.  I like Ross Andru a lot.  Bagley is a major figure in Spidey history as well.  I also enjoyed Erik Larsen who fell between MacFarlane and Bagley's big runs.  Sal Buscema (mostly on Spectacular Spider-Man) is underrated IMHO.

Nothing against Ron Frenz, his art is solid, but it always struck me as a bit derivative.  A lot of his layouts, especially when it comes to battle scenes, almost look lifted from Kirby.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

19 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Not for me Sr and Jr are Def on my top artist list on spidey that is.

I’m in the camp of I used to like Romita Jr’s art but at some point his style changed and am no longer a fan.  When did his style change?

6 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

MacFarlane is definitely the first one who came to mind.  I like Ross Andru a lot.  Bagley is a major figure in Spidey history as well.  I also enjoyed Erik Larsen who fell between MacFarlane and Bagley's big runs.  Sal Buscema (mostly on Spectacular Spider-Man) is underrated IMHO.

Nothing against Ron Frenz, his art is solid, but it always struck me as a bit derivative.  A lot of his layouts, especially when it comes to battle scenes, almost look lifted from Kirby.

Bagley is a great choice too. I’m a huge fan of his USM run.

Edited by piper

10 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This is a bad thing? If you're going to steal, steal from the best! :bigsmile:

I like Frenz's work quite a bit. Like Steve Rude or Bruce Timm, he can do Kirby without stereotyping Kirby.

Hey all!!  I know this is an Amazing Spiderman thread.  I just wanted to let everyone know that Hakes.com currently has this 35 cent variant up if anyone is interested.  It is the highest grade with a population of 2!!  Please go to the auction, there are other Spiderman comics and 35 cent variants of the highest grades ever.

9.6 Amazing Spider-Man #171.jpg

10 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

This is a bad thing? If you're going to steal, steal from the best! :bigsmile:

I like Frenz's work quite a bit. Like Steve Rude or Bruce Timm, he can do Kirby without stereotyping Kirby.

I don't dislike the art at all.  I just don't think it stands out as special.

I feel awful saying anything about it and almost wish I hadn't, because I don't consider myself an art critic and there are very, very few artists (Liefeld!!) that I consider truly bad.  To Frenz's credit, his art is instantly recognizable and easy on the eye.  I remember enjoying his collaborations with Tom DeFalco on the Thor title, etc. (Thunderstrike anyone?) -- precisely because both the writing and the art were a very clear throwback to a simpler time, an attempt to recapture the nostalgia of Stan Lee's storytelling.  (Despite the ways in which Frenz's figures echo Kirby's, I wouldn't say he was doing "Kirby storytelling" as the stories were very much down to earth, lacking Kirby's high drama and cosmic grandeur.) 

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Is anyone else super-excited for the return of Vulture, Doc Ock, Elektro, Mysterio, and Green Goblin to the big screen, especially Keaton, Molina, and Dafoe reprising their roles as Vulture, Doc Ock, and Green Goblin?  Presumably the sequel to Far From Home in 2021.  I catch myself staring at my ASM #3 and 14 most of all, but also 2, 9, and 13.  I like these villain intro books more than most hero first appearances!  Green Goblin and Doc Ock (and Doctor Doom, for that matter) were so well-conceived.  So please, please do this right, Disney.   Ideally, Disney will stretch their appearances over at least two films.  Unless the next movie is three hours long, there is already so much to run with in light of how Far From Home ended (JJJ blaming Spidey for everything and revealing his secret identity).  So in 2021, the movie could resolve that mess and just introduce the villains in anticipation of a bigger confrontation in the next movie after that.   Just do justice to all these cool, significant villains.  No need to rush anything.  .  

37 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I picked up this issue of Amazing Spider-Man #7 from Out of the Vault Collectibles last week.ASM7.thumb.jpg.87af252e099cf8bbae2d2f6ad6824a9f.jpg

I hope to post my ASM #1 - #11 issues, all in CGC slabs, sometime tomorrow.

I am glad this is OW/W because if you had posted a 5.0 WP copy of ASM #7 that would have been just plain cruel.