• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,681 posts in this topic

16 hours ago, gunsmokin said:

Well, in my best haughty type font, some of actually read the funny books.:shy:

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that I don't "actually read the funny books" ... I have read pretty much every single main-line superhero book Marvel produced from 1961 - 2012 when I finally stopped collecting new books.  But if you expect me to remember the details of this particular issue more than a decade after the last time I would have read it, that's a little more than I can promise.  :foryou:

Doctor Strange's astral image has been shown on lots of covers, as you know.  (Not to mention the number of times an invisible or partially-invisible Sue Storm has been depicted on FF covers.)  There are all sorts of artistic choices that could be made to ensure that the character still stands out properly.  I don't think the choices made on this particular cover were optimal, but that's just my opinion.  2c

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

12 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'm sure you didn't mean to imply that I don't "actually read the funny books" ... I have read pretty much every single main-line superhero book Marvel produced from 1961 - 2012 when I finally stopped collecting new books.  But if you expect me to remember the details of this particular issue more than a decade after the last time I would have read it, that's a little more than I can promise.  :foryou:

Doctor Strange's astral image has been shown on lots of covers, as you know.  (Not to mention the number of times an invisible or partially-invisible Sue Storm has been depicted on FF covers.)  There are all sorts of artistic choices that could be made to ensure that the character still stands out properly.  I don't think the choices made on this particular cover were optimal, but that's just my opinion.  2c

I like to think we all read them. Threw the word “haughty” in there to help imply the sarcasm. No harm intended.:foryou:

15 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

here's an ff related book; in my years of pursuing the silver age ped type-set, this has literally been the ONLY pre-70 don rosa book i've ever come across.   if you search them, they're always bronze or later.

marvelgreatest.jpg

Cool book ! I think you are right about the Don Rosa's. I think the story behind the collection had him hang on to the Silver stuff. Not sure if he ever relinquished those later on.

everyone here must have oodles of money. I'm going broke buying mid and low grade copies. I like nicer looking higher grades if possible but would just prefer to have the comic. Im trying to get the full kirby/lee run ff 1-102.  Just going off ebay is a learning lesson. I've seen things wayyyyyy overpriced for their grade and a few things pretty under priced.  I managed to get FF#3 here for only $320. its not graded but it looks like a solid 4 or 5. what do you guys think?

IMG_9448.jpg