Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
25 25

7,611 posts in this topic

8,242 posts

 

F1D7E66B-FC77-4E7C-B0E7-3F119B997D4C.thumb.jpeg.7aeb82421c69c471b8a9aab44ede431e.jpeg

6E09F1F1-BBA1-408B-A521-09C43AEE2906.thumb.jpeg.d08ffc4121916348980213ac5333e254.jpeg

Ol’ Sam wrote on all his comics. My LCS had his collection for a good while. This was among the nicer ones. 
I kind of like it.

Edited by KirbyJack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,279 posts

look at the sarge kickin' azz!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,242 posts
3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

look at the sarge kickin' azz!!!

Damn right! Wherever there are nazis, Fury will be there to whoop 'em.

 

Or Hellboy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,279 posts
On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 10:03 AM, KirbyJack said:

 

F1D7E66B-FC77-4E7C-B0E7-3F119B997D4C.thumb.jpeg.7aeb82421c69c471b8a9aab44ede431e.jpeg

6E09F1F1-BBA1-408B-A521-09C43AEE2906.thumb.jpeg.d08ffc4121916348980213ac5333e254.jpeg

Ol’ Sam wrote on all his comics. My LCS had his collection for a good while. This was among the nicer ones. 
I kind of like it.

craggy ben and great blues---what's not to like????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,279 posts

wasn't crazy about 24 as a kid, now one of my very favorites.   same goes for 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,242 posts

Here’s a couple of thrillers!

08C199DA-68A2-429D-AA49-247D5881815D.thumb.jpeg.dbb8f313a6bf84c9d7b0735ce7beedbd.jpeg

C184DE6E-D43D-41C2-891A-87BC95F92B47.thumb.jpeg.0c1f772c84677ec953e7421df90d1991.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30,279 posts

lawd, how many times as a kid did i revel in the big fight?  just wonderful. 

it looks undergraded, kj.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,242 posts
8 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

lawd, how many times as a kid did i revel in the big fight?  just wonderful. 

it looks undergraded, kj.

Yep, it was a donnybrook!

and Thank you, I agree. I got it from HighGradeComics, and was very pleased when it showed up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

The Marvel Universe continues to take shape!

08F03FAE-067F-4EDD-9D2A-572C4BC9902A.thumb.jpeg.4befd5d3d4e2bc0bafe6d067f0cc0a02.jpeg

 

It's funny how, generally speaking, they never did crossovers within a shared book.  If you think about it, a modified version of this story could have been done as a full-length Strange Tales issue, if they wanted.

(To be clear, placing the Namor / Sue / Reed triangle at the center definitely makes this an FF story.  But you know what I mean.)

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,242 posts

I get you. But I think the idea here was to create interest for the Sub-Mariner feature that was about to displace Giant-Man in Astonish. FF and ASM were the center of The Marvel Universe at the time; more eyeballs! They pumped up Hulk’s feature just prior, and tried to increase readership in the struggling X-Men. 
 

Or maybe they just knew that guest stars were awesome, and there wasn’t room in a split book to do it justice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,095 posts
1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I get you. But I think the idea here was to create interest for the Sub-Mariner feature that was about to displace Giant-Man in Astonish. FF and ASM were the center of The Marvel Universe at the time; more eyeballs! They pumped up Hulk’s feature just prior, and tried to increase readership in the struggling X-Men. 
 

Or maybe they just knew that guest stars were awesome, and there wasn’t room in a split book to do it justice.

Totally agree.  I'm just saying they really missed opportunities to cross over within the shared books.  I don't think Doctor Strange ever meets the Torch, the Thing, or Nick Fury within Strange Tales.  I also don't think Cap and Iron Man meet up in TOS, except obviously in #58 when Cap is a guest just prior to getting his own feature.  Hulk does the same thing in TTA #59, and then after that I don't think he meets ol' Hank and Janet again within that book.  I think Tales to Astonish #100 (Hulk / Subby) is the only example where they did what I'm talking about.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
460 posts

Oddly, Subby and IM crossed over in TOS 80 and TTA 82. It may have had something to do with Gene Colan being the artist on both titles at the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
25 25