• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

You're all heart devil.gif27_laughing.gif You've seen that 114 8.5 for sale, yes?

Yes, I am following it closely. It is tempting 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm sorry to report that I was outbid at the last second on this one... I did put a fair offer, but such is life sometimes sorry.gif

Hopefully, another one will come up for sale at some point 893crossfingers-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

ST 114 was the acrobat disguised as CA, right? I wonder how long they thought

about reviving CA before they decided on this approach to check reader interest.

Would be fun to know how positive reader response was, if it was close or a rout.

Avengers #4 came out March 64, and ST 114 was November 1963.

Too bad one cannot read the letter pages after slabbing...

ST 114 was the acrobat disguised as CA, right? I wonder how long they thought

about reviving CA before they decided on this approach to check reader interest.

Would be fun to know how positive reader response was, if it was close or a rout.

Avengers #4 came out March 64, and ST 114 was November 1963.

Too bad one cannot read the letter pages after slabbing...

I checked my VGF copies of ST 114 116 and 117 (I have no 115 or 118 frown.gif )

None of them have any letters pages.

But in 114 it states in a panel at the end of the story that they will look at the letter response to this story to decided whether to bring Cap back. I guess they got a good response. thumbsup2.gif

Going back to the topic of how the monster era started, there is a very interesting

4 page introduction by Dr. Michael J. Vassallo at the beginning of the new Tales of

Suspense Masterworks collection.

From the solicitation of Tales of Suspense Masterworks:

In 1958, Atlas Comics Editor-in-Chief Stan Lee was joined by two titanic talents: Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko. Together this trio of storytellers launched Tales of Suspense and its sister title, Tales to Astonish, and along with them the beginnings of a creative revival that would change comics forever.

Kinda wish I knew more about this era, but it looks like Atlas imploded in 1957, and

the combo of Stan, Jack, and Steve clicked the year after.

I just love the Pre-hero books!!! Here's 6 more, this stuff is pure art that should hang on a wall. thumbsup2.gif

Well I can say one thing from that lot of books, when it came to monster's back in those day's, size was all important!!

Got to get me a copy of #85! thumbsup2.gif loved the cover!! takeit.gif

Thanks guys!! These books (the Pre-hero ST's) are my collecting passion when it comes to comics. I love each cover and it's great to share them with true collectors that appreciate them as well. I have 7 more pre-hero books at CGC and can't wait to get them back and add to the set.

hope to get around to posting my run of 110-146 in the next couple days! it will mean alot of scanning Christo_pull_hair.gif but it will also mean a lot of posts for me thumbsup2.gif

popcorn.gif

this white paged gem is essentially a NM with a little edge wear! formally certified as a CGC 8.5 off white to white pages!(sfilosa pedigree thumbsup2.gif)

Scanst110.jpg[/img]