• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lowest CGC Grade ever spotted. It's a 0 .5 Thats right 0.5

19 posts in this topic

This book was posted in the Silver Age forum I think. And it is an X-Men #1, even if it is remaindered, so of course it's got bids.

My bad.. I should look in the Silverage section more often huh.

Cant see it there...

whats remaindered mean?

Means that the retailer didn't sell the book on the newstand, so to get credit from the distributor the retailer stripped the top part of the front cover and returned that to substantiate the requested credit.

The resulting stripped books were then expected to be trashed/destroyed by the retailer but many escaped such a fate. I've got a handful of coverless Conan #1s that I think were are likely the result of a retailer stripping the entire cover.

This book was posted in the Silver Age forum I think. And it is an X-Men #1, even if it is remaindered, so of course it's got bids.

My bad.. I should look in the Silverage section more often huh.

Cant see it there...

whats remaindered mean?

The thread:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=silver&Number=191173&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Nope!! There's lower! If I'm not mistaken, I saw a PURPLE label 0.5 (pages missing) on Ebay!!!! Anyone see it about 1 year ago and remember what it was exactly?

They've done lower than that...

They also give out a grade I got a few times in elementary school when I didn't turn in my homework... the venerable "INCOMPLETE"...

CGC has slabbed individual wraps of books like Action 1...

"Lookie here! It's an Action 1... only missing ALL the pages except these four..." tongue.gif

Does'nt this show you all the mentality of some people.

Because a book is CGC'ed , all of a sudden , it's got to be valuable !!

It's in demand ! It's got to be had ! I want that book !

Oh well , A fool and his money. makepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Can I just say that people being shocked that this book has bids bothers me? It's an X-Men 1! It IS valuable even in PR and it has absolutely nothing to do with the CGC holder.

A lot of people want to have a key book like X-Men #1, but most people that want one don't have thousands of dollars to spend on a high grade copy. So, instead, they get a low grade copy- maybe incomplete, or they get a really solid, readable copy with nice paper and one gigantic flaw.

This would also be a perfect research copy.

There are plenty of comic collectors out there that are not condition obsessed.

Can I just say that people being shocked that this book has bids bothers me? It's an X-Men 1! It IS valuable even in PR and it has absolutely nothing to do with the CGC holder.

I agree. I hate then people think that low grade copies have no value. mad.gif

Isn't this one of the most expensive silver age books?

Besides that this actually looks good for a 0.5 book. Similar copy with missing parts of cover could be read/torn/creased into rags, and it would still be graded as 0.5

(this is actually weird shouldn't there be more low grade notches?)

And what's a problem people see in these slabbed individual pages? It's not about grades. Main reason to slab them are to get then authenticated.

Because there are reprints, it's a huge risk to buy pages from Action 1.

I think the book looks great for the price...hhmm...I think it does anyways? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I've had worse! If the rest of the book is high grade, then you have a nice set of pages, a nice back cover, and with a little help this book could be sold via a private ebay auction as a very high grade copy! 893naughty-thumb.gif

Wonder how much the pages would sell for alone??

I agree. I hate then people think that low grade copies have no value. mad.gif

Isn't this one of the most expensive silver age books?

It's #7. It books for $11,000 in NM.

Can I just say that people being shocked that this book has bids bothers me?

Doesn't bother me... hopefully that means they will sell me their remaindered and coverless books for peanuts.

I sell probably 100 coverless Silver Age books a year in my shop, and get around 1/3 to 1/2 of good for them if they are nice and tight. Sold a coverless ASM 50 for $22 just last week.

There are more people out there just trying to fill runs than there are trying to find 9.6's of everything. And there's no guilt with sitting down and reading a copy like this X-Men 1. I'd be surprised if that book stays in the slab for long...

Can I just say that people being shocked that this book has bids bothers me?

There are more people out there just trying to fill runs than there are trying to find 9.6's of everything. And there's no guilt with sitting down and reading a copy like this X-Men 1. I'd be surprised if that book stays in the slab for long...

I am glad that that is the truth. How else could I have picked up over 550 Hulk comics over the last month and a half. AND, there have been MANY treasures in with the mid-grade books. I never would have been able to come close to this complete a collection if I were just interested in the high grades. The stuff has been coming out of the woodwork. Just now starting to get too pricey for the quality.